Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shivermeister

Madison Lake Report

12 posts in this topic

Crappies went absolutely nuts today on Madison - 50+ fish in three hours - what a day!!

Was on Madison last night, fished from about 5:30 - 10:15, within the first 5 minutes of trolling a crankbait landed a nice 16" walleye. Kept trolling the wind swept shorline for the next couple of hours catching a lot of small crappies and one bass. About an hour and half before sunset got a small 12" walleye trolling, so we decided to anchor and I was useing a small jig head, tipped with a leech and my buddy was throwing small spinner baits and small crank baits. Within 15 minutes of anchoring I hooked up with a nice 22" eye, almost right next to the boat.

All in all a pretty good day out on the water. By the way all fish came in less than 7' of water.

Moss man don't you think you should add Traverse to your address somebody needs to put it on the map!!!!!!!!

Thanks Farmer

Sounds like you have a fun night.

are the crappies hitting near the bridge by bray park or in deeper water...anything shore fishable?

We caught them anywhere from 7-17 feet, but most were in the 8-12 range. Not sure about shore fishing... Only my second time on the lake. The park area on the south side (is that bray?) looked like it might have some decent shore fishing access, but we never really fished all that close to it. Give it a shot though, if the fishing is half as good as it was that day and you can cast into 8 feet of water from where you are fishing you will hook into some sunnies or crappies. Good luck!!!

Alright, thats what I was thinking. We nailed the crappies this spring but the action soon died. Too many people fishing the concrete slabs....might give it a try again tomorrow morning though...thanks for the response.

Went to the bridge in Madison this morning from 6 til around 11 and caught some nice bass in the 2-3 pound range on crawlers and one on a rapala....also caught a bowfin, the second one of the year....not to mention a walleye pushing 5 1/2 inches, had two lines snapped as well....not too bad of a morning.

Hey Beriver laugh.gif, i was on the other side this morning! Had some early crappie bites on minnow, caught a bass, and lost two big fish from hook being thrown before you guys came. Well one of your fish that got away now has a nice accessory attached to him hehe

Loos: it wasn't by chance a pike with a bluegill shad rap #5 was it? Had one take that brand new lure on the first cast!

Quote:

Loos: it wasn't by chance a pike with a bluegill shad rap #5 was it? Had one take that brand new lure on the first cast!

I was referring to beriver's lost fish. Took his float with him smile.gif For some reason, I've never caught a northern on Madison, thats why I like Madison so much laugh.gif I drive from Bloomington to fish this lake.

There should be a few northerns with Rat-L-Traps in them too. grin.gif

There are a good amount of pike in Madi. I've never been fishing just for pike, but they're in there and they can be really aggressive.