• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I did post this in the hunting dog forum, but I wanted you guys to know what is up with da hitman .

We found out about 4 weeks ago that our beloved lab, Boomer, and 11-year-old heart-breaker has a large tumor on his spleen.

I did some research and this is what I have found out.

Hemangiosarcoma

A form of cancer that originates in the endothelium, which is the lining of blood vessels and spleen. These tumors are highly malignant and can be found almost anywhere in the body. The spleen, pericardium and heart are prone to be affected.

These tumors are most common in medium-sized or large breeds of middle aged or older dogs but can occur in any breed, including cross-breeds. German shepherds are reported to be more susceptible to this form of cancer than most dog breeds. The Golden Retriever also seems to have a higher than normal incidence.

Quite often there is little warning of the presence of these tumors before severe clinical signs are seen. An estimate of the average time from discovery of the tumor until death occurs in affected dogs is six to eight weeks.

The most common initial symptoms include visible bleeding, usually in the form of nosebleeds, and signs associated with blood loss, such as weakness, tiring easily, paleness to the mucous membranes of the mouth and eyes, increased respiratory rates, and abdominal swelling. In some cases, dogs just suddenly die with no clinical signs observed at all.

If a tumor in the spleen is found when it is small, it may be possible to remove the spleen or remove tumors found near the heart in order to prolong the dog's life. However, most often these tumors have spread by the time they are identified. According to published papers, the average survival time in dogs with Hemangiosarcoma is only three to four months.

We had Boomer before our twin boys were born and was basically our first-born child. He was a big part of our family and was my personal therapist working long hours into the night just listening to my problems and licking my face.

It will be a tough day when we have to put him down -- doesw anyone have any experience with this?

Any words of wisdom or advice?

We have a 1.5 year-old named copper that I have posted about before, but he will never take the place of Boomer, and I don't think he should. He is a great dog as well, but Boomer and I have "history" and I am sure many of you dog lovers understand.

I am not the always the HITMAN, but also a guy that cries dduring sad movies and feels bad for other people that deal with things like this. I did pass this empathy gene/curse on to one of my Twin boys -- he is having a tough time with it as well -- they are 7 years old.

Any thoughts or words would be a great help.

Thank you, My Brothers.

Hitman

We had to put our family dog down about ten years ago due to cancer. We can still get tears in Mom's eyes if we bring up memories of Mitzi. That's ok, it shows how much she meant to us. We brought her into our family and she accepted us and loved us as family. Don't ingnore those feelings. That is part of showing your friend your love for her. It may help ease her pain to see that you all care for her that much.

I remembered an article a while back that really reminded me of some of those feelings and some of what we went through. Maybe this can help.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/columns/story?columnist=schara_ron&page=g_col_schara_saying-goodbye-to-your-dog

That sucks HItman. If wouldn'y know what to do with out my pooches. Heck, my one pooch even played a key role in proposing to my girlfriend yesterday. He brought her the ring.

I hope your boys come through this time ok. Good Luck

Paul and Cicada --

Thanks. I took a closer look at Booomer last night and he is losing muscle by the week. He was coughing a little bit last night, but does not seem to be in any pain yet, but does sleep or rest about 23 hrs a day.

As soon as he goes outside he wants to come back in.

I don't know when I want to do it..

Does anyone know of a place to have him cremated?

Major bummer on this one- sorry to hear the bad news. Good luck to you and your family on dealing with this. Those who don't have pets don't really get the loss of one, but it's a tough thing for sure. Good luck to you and your family.

Hitman,

When we put our dog down in Alex at the Alexandria Animal Doctor we used a cremation service they offered. Hope that helps some.

it is a sad time to lose a loved pet i remember when i was young my dog that i grew up with got hit by a car i cryed and cryed but i just guess every one and thing has its time... when the mahnomen vet was still open i had a dog that had got ran over and we hurryed to get it up there but it was to late when we got there they cremated her for free i think he was the best vet around and one of the cheapest but he closed for some reason

Sorry hitman. My wife and I also had to put down our dog a few months ago. He was 8 years old and a great dog for the two of us, but now that we have a couple of young kids, he became aggressive towards them. So we had to put him down for a different reason, but was still very difficult. Anyway, we had it done at DL Animal Hospital on Hwy 10, they were very respectful and also offered cremation (although we didn't do that). Even sent us a sympathy card in the mail a few days later.

Sorry to here this Hitman. I went through this approx 8 years ago and had to put the dog down. I will tell you this, i cried for days and it wasnt easy to do.

The decision had to be made and one can only think of your dog. We all want our dog to stay with us forever but that doesnt happen. I had the dog put down so he would not suffer any more as that was the right thing to do. I know its hard to do but, think of the dog and not the pain you all feel as the dog will only hurt worse every day.

I had my vet take care of the cremation and buried ole Stormy at home. I have another dog thats going on 11 and this winter was pretty sick and I thought I was going to hav to put her down also. We didnt and she is doing ok but that day is drawing near and will be another painful day.

It does get better and I still look often of the pictures of my ole hunting pal and will never forget that dog.

Be strong and do what is best for the dog. Time will heal all wounds.

I just can't explain how helpful you guys have been it is so nice to have people out there that understand that for many people a dog has a special place in people's lives and in our case was indeed very much like our first born because he was here before we had our boys.

Thanks again to all

Hitman

Hit, you will know when it's time to put him down. I can tell you from experience that putting, or watching a dog being put down whether it's yours or not is a very hard thing. I have a dog going on 13 that I got in college before I was even married, and I know her days are numbered. She's already lost her hearing in the last 4 months, but is in good health otherwise (at least I think).

Hit, if his time left is very short, enjoy him while you can, but send him to doggy heaven as soon as you see signs of suffering. It's better to put him down early than late.

Quote:

but send him to doggy heaven as soon as you see signs of suffering. It's better to put him down early than late.

I agree, nothing worse than seeing your pet suffering. Having to watch you pet being euthanized is one of the hardest things to do, but in the end you'll know it was the right thing to do, and your little buddy will be in a better place. Your pups memories will live on forever in your hearts...

Thanks F-Dog and Dead.

Boomer has been doing ok for the last couple of weeks, but I know he will take a turn for the worst pretty soon. The tumor will not just go away.

Thanks for all of the support -- it has been a tough time in Hawley-wood.