Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoppe56307

Osakis Fishing

15 posts in this topic

How has the fishing been. I will be up on Saturday for a week, we will be mostly chasing Panfish and walleyes. Just looking to see if anybody is catching any, not looking for hotspots.

Both are out there to be had. They aren't jumping in the boat, but you can find them. Some days are easier than others. I realize that's a real revelation to a fisherman...

Early morning (before 6am start) has been good for 'eye's

Is it like everybody says "You should have been here yesturday" tongue.gif

i havent been up fishing since June but with these hot temps usally the walleye fishing picks up. Atleast it has for me in the past. I would try the weedlines off the sand flats and johnsons bar with a night crawler with temps in the 90's. Will be coming up July 14th and 15th to give it a shot. laugh.gif

I will also be on the lake on the 14th. Any other suggestions on where to go?

I'll be on Osakis July 13 through 22nd. Say hi if you see me in a black and white crestliner, 140 Johnson. I may be too busy to wave back getting the net for my son though. wink.gif

I'll be in a maroon 1660 Pro-V tiller.

Was at the lake last week (July 13-22) and fishing was somewhat tough if walleyes are your target.

Bass are biting well on top water and spinner baits in the usual weeded areas. Largest of the week was 18". All but 2 were Large Mouth.

Panfish are scattered. We tried looking for them on the bars they frequent in summer but it was very hit and miss and the few we got were small. The reeds are still your best bet if you can get on a school you can do well but you have to work to find them. Found some bigger sunnies on outside weedlines near reeds. Crawler or micro tube jigs both caught fish. We caught a dozen good size ones trolling cralwers on spinners for walleyes

Crappies are suspending on or near well known bars and while I didn't fish them specifically, I did see a 15" taken in the boat next to us.

Northern bite was less plentiful than usual. Spinner baits near reeds got a several toothy critters to hit but not the numbers I've had in the past. Maybe a few of the 2-3 pound snakes are finally getting fished out to make room for some of them to grow into decent fish. Largest northern was 28", most around 20.

Walleyes, worked hard but only caught about a dozen all week. Largest was 25" which was returned to the lake quickly, only 4 others over 15" (legal size limit) but under 20" (personal size limit). All the rest under the 15" minimum. Outside weedlines produced most of our bites some on raps some on spinners. Fished both shallower and deeper structure and tried the slip bobbers but only got fish on moving bait off weedlines.

Big bug hatch on the lake last Sunday-Monday. You could hear them humming in the trees all night. Driving into town at night along lake road it was like a snow flurries in the headlights. Barn Swallows and Purple Martins hammered them for 2 or 3 days straight. Not sure how it affected the fishing but fishing was definitely better two days before and two days after the hatch.

Thanks for the update Sportfish. Heading up this weekend again to give it a try. When I was up July 14th the walleye bite was also slow for me but i did get over 20 northerns that day, most of them were all about 23" but 3 were 27". Fun to catch. All fish came in 4-6' of water trolling plugs.

Going to try more for walleyes this weekend though.

Hey Strohs, I am told even when you try fishing for walleyes you catch northerns so why not try for northerns and you might catch walleyes.

Not a bad idea.....

Its a good theory, I was fishing for Walleyes and got sunfish, perhaps I should have fished for sunfish.....but when I do that I usually get Bullheads. confused.gif

I was up with Strohs (in a different boat) and did not have a problem finding the walleyes, actually ran out of bait for the first time. Strohs are you going Northern fishing or Walleye fishing this weekend...

Well i am going out this weekend to catch Walleye's but if i catch something else, that will be just fine too. Catching is better than fishing...

I will post how i do next week. grin.gif