• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help me plan a Mid-September trip

Myself and 5 friends are planning on taking a five day trip in Mid-September. I've researched a lot of posts on some of my top choices and its' seems to be an inconsistent time of year. I want to stay away from turnover though and the weather gets to unpredictable in October.

Without sharing spots, do any of you have any recommendations on lakes / presentations that have been productive for you. We are looking foe housekeeping accomodations vs. camping.

My top choices now are Kab/Nam, Rainy, Winni or Mille Lacs.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'd head up to Rainy,from the guy's I know there are some really nice fish being caught.ML is going to have restriction soon .Kab/Namikan is a great place too ,but I'm thinking more quality fish are coming from Rainy.

Here's a few recent Rainy eyes.

P1010089.jpg

P1010107.jpg

P1010072.jpg

Mille lacs slot goes to 14-16 with 1 over 28 on July 9th.

Geez! Now I want to go to Rainy! blush.gifblush.gif

Nice fish! Why is your name crappiekeith??????

Because i was catching a bunch of slab crappies on Big Sandy a few years ago & the locals started to call me CK.

Those pics are my buddy Mike who lives up there by Rainey.

Retiered hockey guy who played in the nets. Anyway I'm into all species.

Last night we caught a ton of snot rockets and bass with a few slabs & bulls mixed in.

Picture036-1.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture026.jpg

This is a small lake Dude & I started to fish a few weeks ago & now are seeing what it has to offer.

Back to the CK thing.

I tie my own hair jigs and they work well.

The locals saw what I was doing when not many other could catch crappies on those tougher days well so that how CK came about.

I really like action. As long as the pole is bending then I'm happy. Crappies and walleyes are what I'll eat though.

If you ever go ice fishing,c'mon up to Big Sandy & we will go do some TLC oh, that's tearing lips continuelessly! wink.gif

So is that guy holding the walleye's like 4'5" tall or are those 30+ inch fish...?

They look enormous.

Mule

They look to be quality fish. You can make any fish look larger if you hold it away from your body and some angles also help.

Have you considered a trout fishing trip to Montana or Yellowstone? That's a great time for it.

If it had to be a Minnesota lake, I'd try Leech. I'd also switch my focus to bass and northerns in the shallows.

that was my subtle attemp at humor... grin.gif

It is an awesome fish!

Those are some nice eyes for sure.

Mike does not need to cheat to make them any better than they already are.

All's he does is fish now that he is done with hockey.

When you have a great fishery as he does and given the time on the water your bound to run into some hogs.

Look at these slabs he caught on a hair jig I've tied for him.

P1020405.jpg

P1020370.jpg

Oh and there's another fellow,Aaron who fishes the same waters for these toothy guys with fly rods.

Snapshot2007-06-2416-59-02-1.jpg

today.jpg

yesterday.jpg

Not to mention these mules.

rush096.jpg

Thanks for clarifying "TLC"!! blush.gif

I'd always like to go where the brutes are with someone who knows how to catch em, but my free time will be sunk into learning the Ely area for some time to come.

You guys are on em! Enjoy! cool.gif

Thx