Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snolab

Walleyes with strange bumps????

4 posts in this topic

We caught a few larger 23-25" eyes Friday that had some kind of strange growth on them that looked like pencil sized pimples on them around the head and back. We did not get a pic but overheard one other boat talking about it on the radios. Has anyone seen this and know what it is?

I have seen it before, but don't know what it is. I actually caught one ice fishing last year and it looked like fish acne. I through it back even though it was legal size.

This is somewhat common. I have seen it on Mille Lacs walleyes as well as the occasional fish from other waters. I remember seeing other discussions on this and the official word is that it is nothing dangerous and nothing super serious. If they are of keeper size, they can still be eaten. Unfortunately, I can't remember off hand exactly what the condition was called or what caused it. Perhaps someone else's memory will be better than mine...

i think it's called lymphocytis