• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Wanderer,

Are you going over to Hawaii?? I thought I read it on another post. I have been over there twice!!!! Let me know which island you are going to...I might have some good spots for you to check out!

Later,

Justin

The Fishmasters senses extend that far???? laugh.gif

We have friends doing the 7/7/07 marriage thing in Maui. We leave the 4th and come back the 9th. I'd like to be there longer but I won't complain. It will be my first tropical vacation. I don't call Mardis Gras in Nawlins tropical. smirk.gif I'm more Alaska! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

FM doesn't have a Maui forum!!!! Dang! How am I supposed to know anything? wink.gif I guess thats where you come in.

I don't seriously think I'll get to fish unless I charter for a day, but what do ya know? I'll take the advice.

You still showin that auger around town? grin.gifgrin.gif Good find, I think!

Wanderer,

I am so jealous!!!! Once you go to Hawaii, you will forget all about Alaska!!!!!! I can't wait to go back there...it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

I haven't been to Maui, however. I have spent 2 weeks on the Big Island and 1 week on Kauai. My best advice for you will be to get the book titled "The Ultimate Maui Guidebook." You should be able to get it at any bookstore in your area and look through it on the plane ride over there. Has alot of good info on where to eat and things you should see while you are there. It also has alot of maps and directions to different places on the island. If you can't find it before you leave, any ABC Store or Hilo Hattie store in Maui will have it. Avoid any brochures in the airport in Hawaii. They aren't a reliable source of information-the guidebook is the best.

My favorite things to do over there:

See the sights and do tourist-like things shocked.gif

Snorkel

Ride motorcycles-you can rent them pretty reasonable.

Go to the beach

the sunsets over there are like none you have ever seen....

There is soooo much there to see. I think there are a few bus tours you can take there like the "Road to Hana" which is supposed to be the most beautiful drive to take in Maui (you can also tour that by car). A helicopter tour of the island is also nice, but can be kinda spendy. Avoid ATV tours, they are lame.

I have gone deep sea fishing over there, but that is kinda spendy too (about $600-700) unless you can join some other guys who are looking to split costs. I would do that the next trip-and on the Big Island when you have more time. Those few days you are going over there are going to fly by. Enjoy as many things as you can!!!!!!!!!!!! Then start planning for your next trip!!!!!!!!!!! If you have more questions, I might be able to help.

Later,

Justin

Thanks Justin!

I think I want to snorkel. Next best thing to fishin. Thanks for the reminder. Rent a cycle -- that sounds fun! We have a car, but what the heck.

If charters are that much (600-700), I'll only do it if the world class Marlin are hitting...if they even swim there confused.gif Thats alot! shocked.gif

We were going to try to make it to Pearl Harbor but those plans seem to be falling through. frown.gif I like WWII aviation and stuff like that.

I'll look for the guidebook. Good info to know. Like the Milepost for AK. I think I'm gonna like it alot but I don't know if it can take top spot. I've never felt so free as being on the tundra up the Noatak River.

Sunsets, beaches and warm surf....Never hung out in that setting before. Can't wait!

Thanks! My home email is [email protected] if you ever have the inkling to use that instead of the forum for this non-BWCAW stuff.

No problem there, dude.

Yes, there are Marlin there. Kona, Hawaii is one of the best locations in the world for huge Marlin. I am not sure what is available for fishing charters in Maui...but I am sure there is fishing there! Anyways, if you go down to a marina when you get there, you may be able to hook up with another bunch of fisherman for around $150. Alot of times, guys are looking for one extra person to share expenses with.

Motorcycles are the only way to tour around the islands. The last time I was there, it was one of the highlights of my entire trip!!!

Snorkeling was also one of my highlights. You can rent snorkel gear just about anywhere on the beaches. You can also purchase it at WalMart cheap when you get there for about $30. It will save you from buying it here and dragging it on the plane.

The guidebook will help you out ALOT. Has tips from locals who live there on where is a good place to eat, things to do, best tours, and places or buisnesses to stay away from.

I can almost taste the macadameia nuts, coconuts, and mai-tai's right now!!! grin.gif

Justin

DANG!

I can tell right now, we're not going to be there long enough!

I told the missus (soon to be) that we'll probably have to go back. She agreed - I was amazed. smirk.gif

Yeah, The last time I was there for 2 weeks and that wasn't long enough!! You are going to have an awesome time!!!!!! Let me know what you ended up doing over there and if you can't wait to go back. I am hopefully going to go back there maybe in January of 2009. Maybe I will get to use my bonus check from work to go over there.....HAHAHAHA!!!!...I almost forgot that I work for cheapskates!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Christmas bonus time at my place of employment is like Clark W. Griswold in Christmas Vacation-only I don't even get so much as a year's subscription to a jelly of the month club!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif It's a good thing that I am an ice fishing addict!!!

Talk to you when you get back!

Justin

Your right Kona is the best spot for pacific blue marlins due to its sheer mountainous underwater reef. You can be in like 10000 feet about 10 miles from shore. Its quite a sight to be snorkeling in 8000 feet of water 25 above 5 pilot whales with no sight of the bottom(thats blue water).

Justin if you head back to Kona let me know I can set you up with a charter boat captain.

Wow!!! Thanks, RodNGun!! Yeah, I will be going back hopefully January of 2009!! I would certainly like to head out and try for those huge fish again- It was a blast!!!

Thanks again,

Justin

Well, we're back - already. Unpacked, showered, and trying to stay awake so we can sleep past 2 a.m. tomorrow morning!

I almost forgot how much fun it was to fly all night long. crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Maui is tourist town. LOTS of places to spend money at. We stayed in Ka'annapoli Shores just West (or North) of Lahaina. Nice resorts and reportedly the best beaches in all of Hawai'i. Tourist shops in Lahaina like I've never seen before. Really cool looking boardwalk (Front Street) at night.

We boogie boarded, sunburned and shopped on Thurs. Drove the seaside around the West part of the island on Fri. Scouting for adventure. The road wound around a ton, got down to about 10 feet wide for two way traffic on hairpin turns for miles. crazy.gif Found the mountain waterfall to swim under and a snorkel spot for Saturday. Then we Luau'd the night away. Incredible Kalua pig roast and VERY good looking hula girls. cool.gif

The snorkeling was phenomenal even with the 4 inch coral gash in my leg. smirk.gif I didn't get to see the sea turtles that were there and no whales frown.gif. But thousands of fish and other things to look at. Just when I thought I'd seen all the variety, something else weird showed up. cool.gif

After that it was pretty much all about the wedding until we left. The license was signed at 7:07 pm on 7/7/07 on the beach covered by one of those sunsets. Wouldn't expect less from those two!

Reached the summit on the volcano too before we left. tongue.gif

So, thats the report. No fishing tongue.gif. No other partners and the Southern blow had things turned upside down lately anyway. We enjoyed ourselves and are glad we went, but probably won't go back to Maui again unless there's a particular reason. Maybe another island instead, and only if fishing/snorkeling are the main focus. There are closer places to go. Maybe I expected too much or didn't do enough, but it didn't get into my soul. Too deep, I know...

I'm an Upnort kinda guy and this trip sealed it. I read the book "Bush Pilots" by Bob Cary and Jack Hautala on my flight. Unbeknownst to me when I bought it, the setting is mainly Ely from about 1930 to 1970. Some Alaska stuff thrown in as well. Aviation history and my two favorite places - still. I couldn't put it down.

Mahalo and Aloha!

Yo Wanderer!

I don't think you should give up on Hawaii just yet. I honestly think the Big Island would be the place for you. Whales are only in Hawaii during the winter months. They migrate there from Alaska. I think sea turtles are also more prevalent in the winter because that is their mating season. Anyways...the Big Island has more charter boat Marlin fishing. As RodNGun said, their is very deep water around the big island which draws those fish in there. Kona is THE place to fish the biggest of the big Marlins. In addition, there is tons of other fishing as well, such as Mahi Mahi fishing. There are also charter boats that will take groups out to spectacular reefs (Such as Captain Cook) for a small fee and the snorkeling is unbelievable!

Anyways...I hope you had some fun confused.gif I really think you should give it one more shot...and try going to the big island grin.gif Sorry to hear about your coral gash...those things hurt like hell!!!! Last time I was there I got impaled in the hand by a sea urchin. Man...that thing hurt for weeks and was swollen for ever!!!

Hey!!! I am still thirsty for that beer...........

Let me know when you are coming up!!

Justin

Justin,

I didn't mean to say it wasn't fun - it was. Its just that when you have no idea what to expect and all you hear is that the place is pure paradise, you might expect too much.

I've been told since we left the island that they are having a tough drought right now and all the hills that we saw that were brown and desert like usually are green. Also a big stretch of the road we travelled was recently burned. We could tell some was but didn't realize how far reaching it was.

Apparently every island has its own character too. Maui is the tourist trap. Honolulu (Oauhu) more of a regular business city and like you are saying, Hawaii and Kona/Hilo just have more of everything.

I'm not turning my nose up at the place yet. I just need to see something else thats more my speed and Kona sounds like it should be worthwhile.

We'll talk over that...er those beers grin.gif. If you have time the weekend of the 21st - that should do for me.

Cool dude.

Yeah, I am not entirely sure if I will be here the weekend of the 21st or not. I may have to head south and shovel the shingles off of my dad's house. Not too sure yet what could happen between now and then. ooo.gif If I am here, I will certainly take you up on those beers!

Later,

Justin

Well, well, well,

Who'd a thunk going to the tropics would cause my lady to crave Ely so much! smile.gif She asked at dinner time if I wanted to go up this weekend even though I have things to do here.

I told her I would think about it crazy.gif but after an hour she TELLS me we're going cool.gif. Maybe the 21st, not the 28th, but definately 8/1-8/3. We'll have different company but they've all been there before and don't expect much smirk.gif.

So....thirsty THIS weekend?

Justin G is right. You would like Kona. It is a fishing village with much to do. It is called the Big Island for a reason. It is the biggest island in the chain, it has 11 of the 13 biospheres to offer. If you travel around the island or through the saddle road you will run into country that doesn't seem like Hawaii. The rollling hills and trees in the middle of the island seems like you are in the Colorado foot hills. Then to see Lava from the center of the earth entering in the Pacific Ocean is a site to see. I have never been to Maui but have been to Oahu and can see your frustration with the tourist thing. They don't tell you on the TV that there is homeless people living there either.

Yeah Wanderer, I will be here this weekend! I have to work both mornings until around 8:00 am or so. I think I am going out blueberry picking on Saturday am after work, but I will be around almost all weekend. I will send you an email so you have my address.

Later,

Justin

Thanks for chiming in RodnGun. I guess some people finally got tired of this post so we should shut her down.

Maybe we'll see ya around someplace!

And man, are those blueberries thick and sweet this year. We found the first ripe ones on June 30th, and they're still going strong. I expect them to peak this weekend or the next. Mmmmmm, gooooood. grin.gif