Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meathunter

the hatch

9 posts in this topic

Anyone been out lately? Is the hatch on? Fishing on sun mon and tuesday do you think we will be at the tail end of the mayflies? How long will the fishing be slower after a major hatch and what techniques would be best for this type of situation? Thanks and i will report when i get back.

was up the 29th second hatch is almost in its prime. fishing has been horrible the last few days for me. Ive returned to a spot where ive probabally pulled 30fish out of this year and didnt boat a 1 the last 2 days. granted a cold front has moved through and the mayfile hatch is horrible. Id suggest pulling crank baits of the edges of the flats day and night time. Done well in the past doing that this time of year.

Tons of caddis and mayflies. It's annoying as the get all over your gear, your boat, your clothes, on your face. I don't buy the whole walleye-bite-slows-because-of-a-bug-hatch thing. Havne't filleted a walleye with bugs in its stomach yet. Trout yes, but walleye no.

The bugs are annoying, but I'm not sure they slow the bite. I've had some dang good fishing in some years all through and after the various bug hatches. Yesterday was my slowest day up there this year -- but I don't know I'd blame it on the fly hatch.

The bugs concentrate the baitfish wich in turn makes easy pickins' for the walleyes. They may not have bugs, but the may have perch and ciscos.

Yep what K-Dawg says. Follow the food and the walleyes will be near.

Fished on sun mon and half day tues had plenty of wind on sunday and we hit 4 and 5 mile gravel sun caught 4 keepers one at 19 the others at 15. Caught several in the slot pulling deep reef runners 25' down over 30 fow. The keepers were caught on hammered brass spinners and half crawlers. Monday night anchored off of 8 mile and caught 10 fish bobbering had two 9 year olds with and they each caught a 26". No keepers that night. Back to the deep gravel on tues before noon 1 keeper on the spinners and then started pulling cranks over the top and caught a 17" and 4 over the slot. The fishing was slow but after taking 28 eyes in 2.5 days and talking with people that were out ill take it. Found the fish pulling cranks to be in with the bait like everyone was saying thanks. The boys are hooked. The bugs were not bad and i think pulling plugs was getting reaction bites.

I was out this morning in the fog with no wind and let me tell you, there must have been 10 million little black fish flies in my boat, all over my equipment, up my nose, in my mouth and eyes, and down my shirt. They didn't bite us, by they made fishing miserable. I have never seen them so thick. You could see more bugs than cloth on the back side of my shirt and shorts. The fish were biting in the morning though....

The fish flies are coming from that Taco joint 5 miles south of the lake on hiway 169 ! grin.gif