Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TKO_PUNCH

Transom Tie Down Recommendations

15 posts in this topic

I have tried the Cabela's heavy duty tie down straps and the handles keep bending. Once they bend, it's over time to get new ones. I have tried 3 different sets over the last 3 years, a set a year. Can anyone recommend a good brand that lasts and where to get them. Thanks

The rachet-style are nice. Boat Buckles. Don't have to haul them around back and forth everytime you load and unload since they are always attached to the boat trailer.

I have the boat buckles and love them. Greatest thing ever made as I always lost one or two of the others every year.

Another vote for the Boat Buckles. Picked mine up at Fleet Farm.

BOAT BUCKLES!!!

Best money you ever spent.

Yep, go with the boat buckles.

I've had the Cabela's brand for about three years now and nothing has bent.

I use only enough force to tension the straps a LITTLE bit - basically just lightly snugged down.

I dont own the boat buckles, they sure look slick, when I am unfortanate enough to loose the ones I have, the boat buckles will be on there.

Whoaru, that is always what I do. However, it is always someone that is fishing with me that tries to help out in whatever way they can that usually does the bending. I try to tell them to just tighten the tension a little, but stuff happens. I'm just looking for a more robust design. Thanks for all the advise. Besides fleet farm, where else sells the boat buckles?

My recommendation is for the Rod Saver brand. They cannot be bent, and they work great for getting just the right amount of tension.

One thing about the Boat Buckles, if you travel on gravel roads much, they can get filled with grit and gravel and can be a pain. Also, if you ever plan on using the boat after freezing temps (river in winter, duck hunting, etc.) they will freeze after being in the water smile.gif That stinks. If you only are out on pavement and not in cold temps, then they would be perfect. Just my two cents smile.gif

Good call Box! I do a lot of fall fishing at the end of Oct and early Nov. Thanks a lot

Quality 6' ratchet tiedowns is all I ever use. I got a pair of those silly lock over tiedowns with my new boat a couple years ago. They were in the garbage before the second trip. Those mounted tiedowns look nice, but I can get a pair of quality tiedowns for a little more than half the cost of one of those mounted ones. The other issue I have with the mounted ones is getting them wet. Not drying the webbing out can cause the webbing to break down. It would not be good to have the straps fail, when you need them the most. Just keep in mind when using the ratchet tiedowns, which ever type you get, only snug down the boat, don't overtighten.

Where can you get these boat buckles ? What do they sell for??

Thanks.

On sale right now at Fleet Farm I saw in the ad today.

Quote:

My recommendation is for the Rod Saver brand. They cannot be bent, and they work great for getting just the right amount of tension.

I would have to second the Rod Saver Brand. They are very easy to adjust, and I don't mind putting them in my vehicle at the landings. For the 30 seconds it takes me to cinch them down, I would rather use the money saved for something else.

CA