• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I bought my first boat late in the season last year and this year have been getting out more. We haven't had much luck trolling and I was wondering if anyone can offer some advise on what speed is best for trolling? Is there a different speed for Walleye than Northern for example?

Usually a little slower for the eyes. Around 1mph for eyes. For northerns I will go anywhere from 1.5 to 3 or 4mph.

I troll at all different speeds, as low as 1, and upto 4-5 for walleyes, pike 3-5 , if they are agressive they will nail it, change speeds and see what they like.

As was just mentioned,try various speeds. My own rule of thumb as a place to begin for eyes is less than 2 mph in the cold water in spring, then 2 to 3 mph or even faster as the water warms and in the fall.

smile.gif

Next time you are out trolling try varying the speed of your lure with your arm instead of a constant speed with your boat. I have had good luck trolling around 1.2 - 1.8 and using your arm to rip the lure forward and then pause lure by moving rod backwards. Most times, the pause will cause the strike if fish has been following. This way even if your boat is going at constant speed you can make your lure go as fast or slow as you want. This method can be extremely good trolling edges of weedlines or coming over weedy points hitting both inside and outside turns of the point. And, maybe try a little more experimenting with colors and lure sizes. What works one day which may be bright and sunny may not be the best option if next day is cloudy and windy. Good luck and hope this helps as it is real exciting to feel the strike when fish hit trolling.

I do most of my trolling at 2.5-3.5 mph. The water is getting warmer now so I wouldn't say 4.5 mph is to fast.

The main thing is how fast can the lure your using be trolled? Spoons can't be trolled over 2 mph without twisting up your line. Some crank baits can not be trolled over 2 mph.

From opener right up to ice, 2.5 - 3.5 mph is as good a starting point as any if your using crankbaits. Never get stuck at one speed. Do "S" turns and see if there hitting on the rod on the outside of the turn or the inside.

One other way to tell if you are going to fast or to slow is if, your trolling at 2.5 and the fish inhails the lure, go alittle faster. If you are just barely hooked at the edge of the lip, go a little slower.

When you are trolling and you tend to pick up more strikes on corners then straight aways, if its the inside corner pole hitting more go slower, if its the outer pole hitting more go faster.

If they arent hitting at all, have a couple beers and enjoy the outdoors grin.gif

Live bait vs. cranks....cranks 2.5 to 4 for me....live, much slower-less than 2...constant s turns will changes the spead of your presentation if your holding your tip directly out to the side of either side of the boat.....pointing out common sense, "driver side" or left side on a boat, and turning right...you get a hit, you may want to speed up a bit....ect.

Live bait lindys/little joes...that type of stuff, not my bag really so I will leave to more expierienced....but when you hear the 1.8ish stuff, seems to apply here rather than cranks.

Bottom line, change speeds is good to make a determination on what is working that time of year, that day.....simply never consitant, but a great place to start in my opinion.

jk

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.