Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DT10 Guy

Cannon River traffic?

5 posts in this topic

A buddy & I are fishing the Cannon river from Cannon falls to Redwing on Saturday for the first time. I see that there are a few float tube places along the river. How crowded does the river get and are there any times when it is unfishable because of too many people on the river?

Thanks--DT10

This coming weekend and the weekend after the fourth will be a nightmare. If you go in the next two weekends you will enjoy having a drunk tuber tangled in your lines or some meatstick dump his canoe in the hole you are fishing. If you can get out during the week you have the whole thing to yourself. I have fished the Cannon for 30 years and you would be better off just fishing from Cannon down to Trout Brook which is a Dakota County park about 5 miles downstream. The stretch past here slows way down, in fact the elevation drop from Welch to Red Wing is half what it is from Cannon to Welch.

On the positive you will have mucho nice scenery if the sun is out.

Hey Catmaster1,

We are planning on putting into the river at 6am. Will this be early enough to miss most of the tubing action? Also, if we only fish from CF to Trout Book how is the fishing/rapids in this section? Would we be able to anchor along that stretch to concentrate on some of the deeper pools?

Thanks for your info--DT10

Yeah there are spots that you can anchor. There is a stretch in Cannon Falls that has some mild class 1 rapids, that's about it. With the little rain we have had lately the river should be running slow. I think you should be just fine.

We had about 15 people following us in 18 tubes (3 for the beer) 2 years ago on the Zumbro while were canoeing/fishing and my partner hooked a 46" musky. They caught up to us before we landed it and stayed back far enough to keep out of the way but close enough to watch the show. He tried to tell them it was a musky and they refused to believe him. When we finally got it in I think they lost all desire to have their hands and toes in the water and they sobered up in a hurry!!