Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
friendlyfisher

REEL REPAIR

7 posts in this topic

I have a abu garcia 5000 baitcasting reel that wont tighten the drag. When I tighten the drag all the way I can still pull line out with out any problem at all. Im wondering how i fix this. I have had reel do this before and its frustrating. Am I just missing a washing in the drag that wont put enough pressure on the spool? Or is there some other internal problem with it?

Thanks for any advise.

No one?????

You probably have reel grease between the drag washers. You are going to want to remove them and clean them with a clean cloth. Apply a light coat of drag grease (you are going to have to Google it, I've never seen it in a store), and reassemble. You should be good to go. The drag washers may be worn out and need replacement also. If you are uncomfortable with any of this have a local reel repair shop do it for you, it will come back good as new for around $20.

I tried that and it did not work. Not sure what to do.

are you shure its the spool turning andnot the line slipping on the spool? If its the spool turning, you may need to replace the drag washers.

Quote:

are you shure its the spool turning andnot the line slipping on the spool? If its the spool turning, you may need to replace the drag washers.

What he said, exactly.

Do you have superline spooled on your reel?