Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maximum12

Bald Eagle

13 posts in this topic

I haven't fished my old friend Baldy since early last spring & recall a lot of construction going on - is the frontage road into the park open again? I presume the ramp is open as well? Any current info would be great.

And as long as we're at it, anyone catching an bass or northern out there? Is the water temp up around 72? This used to be a favorite lake of mine when I lived in St. Paul but I don't get up to the north metro so much anymore!

i havent been out there in about a month or more. the frontage road is open, you may have to maneuver around a bit but you can get in. the ramp is fine. when i was there i had my best crappie day ever.water temps then were about 65. prolly plenty higher now. havent fished it for bass or pike. may head out for some eyes soon though. let me know how you do.

The frontage road is open but go slow when you come near the lake, there are some good size holes that have not been filled. As far as parking, come early if you're going on a weekend day otherwise there aren't any parking left and you'll get a ticket from the Sheriff's Department.

I've seen tickets being issued for people who came late and decided that they can detach their trailer from the car and park it in the normal lot. I've also seen people park their vehicles with the trailer attached across the median near the BBQ area which will earn you a ticket too.

I've not seen any CO lately though. Fishing has been good near the rock pile, be patient and one will come and rip your rod out of your hand.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, as long as the ramp's open we'll be able to get out & hopefully get on some fish after a couple of days of nice, sunny, stable weather. I'll try to report back on what we find!

me and two guys went out to bald eagle last night after work and got on the water about 11:30pm to do some muskie fishing ... the water temp was 76 degrees and the wind was blowing ... no fish tho

We came in around 9:30PM - I've never seen seven boats waiting to exit the lake at once, it was like 35W in rush hour, although people were very quick & efficient going about their business (except the guy in the Nitro who backed his truck right down the middle of the two-boat ramp!).

Fishing was pretty good. We caught a dozen or so bass, a few accidental northern, & my first of the legendary Bald Eagle walleye. I tried the lake once or twice a year for walleyes & never caught one, & here I am dragging a Gulp minnow across a hump & - walleye! Hope I didn't wake up anyone, I'm sure a 13" eye has rarely caused such a commotion. But hey it was a curse-buster!

I'm heading out tonight about 10:00 PM. Lot's of moon light. I'll give a report this weekend sometime.

Usually if I see more that a couple boats waiting to get off ... I'll go fish for another hour. grin.gif If I have time.

Nick

maximum12 any hints on fishing bald eagle for bass. I have never fished it for bass. I'm going out there in a week with a buddy.

Flip jigs or tubes or worms right under the docks. Or else hit the sloppy sloppy stuff. Pain in the arse way to fish, but have gotten the biggest in the slop. You need heavy equipment to get them out though, so the old 10# mono and medium action rod won't cut it smile.gif I have rarely down well in deep water on BE.

Good luck, have fun!

What Box said. I've caught most of my fish on Bald Eagle in the slop using Scum Frogs or the like or tossing Texas rigged plastics right on the edges of the slop. Like Box, I don't think I've ever caught a bass in more than 10 feet of water in Bald Eagle (or much of anything else either - even the northern we caught were up in six feet of water or less). But any structure up to that depth could hold bass & there's a lot of it on Bald Eagle.

Of course, given my "luck" with walleyes on Bald Eagle there are probably a million bass out deep that I can't catch either...

has anyone tried out deep on the rocks on bald for bass, it looks like it would set up to be a fantastic bass lake soon when they set up out deep. i know the walleye stuff from this spring would be perfect when the weeds start to die off as long as the muskies don't keep them off those spots. also has anyone one been out for walleyes? i did well in june for wallaces one day, but havent been back.

So in mid august what would be a good thing to try?

There are a few deep humps that you can get fish off. I've done okay Crolina Rigging on a couple of them. May even chance into a walleye that way. Used to be able to pull fish off the reed island just around the corner from the access but now I don't think a boat goes onto that lake without hitting that so I'm sure the fish even know the names of the lures that are being thrown at them. Give the first little point right of from the access a try. I know it gets overlooked alot but there's a nice drop and I've founda few there.

good luck