Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeastLight

Canadian Border

10 posts in this topic

Anyone been up into Canada recently. From my understanding all I need is a driver license to get through. Next year I will need the passport. Would I need anything else to get through this weekend, birth certificate?

Back in May my son was easily able to get back across the US border with only his drivers license.

I came back from Canada in May, the US did not ask for Passports.

I've been across 3 times since the first week in May. You only need a drivers license both directions. The passport requirement has been delayed for six months till June, 08. Don't delay, I've been waiting for 8 weeks thus far. They tell me it may be 4 months more.

I crossed this spring at grand portage to get my license of remote border crossing permit for quetico. It was very quick and hassel free and all we needed was a drivers license. I don't know exactly when the date is when you will need a passport, but I know it was pushed back a while.

Passports were to be required Jan 1, 2008 but I also have heard it was delayed 6 months. I have not seen that in any official writing, though.

i would suggest having your birth cert. with you as well. the US border gal coming back from calgary gave me and my wife a hard time a few years back. we only had DL's and she wanted our birth certs too. she asked why we didnt have them and i told her our travel agent said all we needed was a drivers license. i got the "so, do i look like your travel agent? i guess she isnt in charge of the borders.... is she?" that didnt make me happy. but she ended up letting us back in after being a complete $#%$#^%%@$ to us for 10 minutes.

Here is something else to keep in mind. If you have a DUI on record, you can't get into Canada for like 2 years and after that, you have to pay a hefty fee ($600?). That is because DUI is a felony in Canada. Check for more details in the Canada forum.

Yes, it is true- last week the senate pushed to extend the passport requirement for land travel to Canada to June 2008. My wife was telling me about this and she is a travel agent. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get one this summer to be prepared for next year- we all know how slow the government is... wink.gif

If you have a birth certificate, bring it with you. Remember, you are entering another country and this is something the border guards can be crabby about!!! Also, some border crossings are more strict than others. Anything to speed you through the border is worth bringing along. The more prepared you are at the border, the less likely you are to be searched-so don't forget your driver's license and have your papers in order when you get to the window. Keep in mind there are restrictions on how much alcohol and tobacco you can bring across. You cannot bring live bait and potatoes across as well.

Hope this helps!!

Justin

are you sure about the live bait thing? i was quite sure you could take crawlers as long as they were in bedding and not soil.

You have to "certify" that they had been in the bedding for something like 7 or 10 days. Haven't yet figured out how to do that. They will look at the crawlers and if there is any crap or dirt at all in the bedding, they will make you take them back to the US side and dump them.

Silly thing, I use "Canadian Crawlers" and find it difficult to return them to their homeland.

Go North