• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can a Firebird pull a 1200lb Stratos 176XT?

Slyster

Question

My dilemma is that I want a new boat (to replace a 14' Lund) and all I have is a dumb V6 manual shift Firebird. Pulls the Lund just fine.. and it must be at lesat 600+ lbs with the two motors, deck, and other add ons.

The lightest boat I've found that I really like is the new Stratos 17'. Weighs 1200lbs, 200lb on the hitch.

The hitch is a class I and therefore should be rated for 2000lbs. Is this going to be possible?

Anyone know enough about cars and hitches to answer this?

8 answers to this question

I would say you are maxed out at about 1000 lbs due to suspension limitations. The motor probably would pull it ok, but you would be sagging too much is my guess. I would buy an in-expensive truck and a cheaper boat. FYI - A 2wd truck will do you much better than your 2wd car for towing and such. You could probably pick up a nice running 2wd truck for $3,000 or so, maybe even a 4x4 if your lucky. Just my 2 cents

No offense to your situation, but I think it would look kinda funny to see a firebird pulling a 17' boat.

OK, seriously, your best option would be getting a larger vehicle. V8 is not the only way to go. a 2wd truck will pull your boat, but becareful on some of the ramps with the steepness.

I would also be concernd about stopping, that firebird isnt made for stapping that much weight.

Get a cheap truck. I recently sold a 89 GMC Sierra 4x4 ext. cab for $1500 and the thing ran perfect, strong motor and transmission. You can find this same cheap truck if you look around in your local area and on ebay.

Sly I'm with a post above me.. its not about pulling, its about stopping.. .That would be down right dangerous!!!

NO!

Its just that simple.

If you don't kill yourself or someone else with that setup, you will at the very least tear that car's drivetrain to pieces...

Add the weight of the boat, trailer, tolling motor, batteries, spare tire, motor, gas and tackle and see if you don't end up over 2000lbs. I bet you do. I too am with the above posts. It's one thing to get going but you have to be able to stop it too. Lives depend on it.

Rats. That's what I thought. I want a new boat SO bad. Thanks for your input... I will take the long route... first a new vehicle.. and then a few years later a new boat. Perhaps if I go used I can do both at the same time next spring.

At least I HAVE a boat... I realize that.