Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHURN

How are the bugs???

5 posts in this topic

I will be up on Winnie in a few weeks with the family. How are the flies and nats compared to previous years?

Two years ago they were so bad we couldn't even cook at our camp site.

Thanks!

The flys were out in full force today. We had temps in the mid 90's and relatively high humidity. The black flys and high humidity go together like peanut butter and jelly. We are suppose to get a relief in the weather this week on Wednesday which will also send the flys away. High temps are expected to be in the mid 60's. The best repellant is called "Natrapel" contains zero deet and is good for small children also. Available at Target. You'll have to stop by the lodge and say hi - if you're in area!! Good luck fishing!!

hi all, the ticks were very bad, i picked up only one but my fishing buddy taken off about 30 of them in 7 days, he couldn't figure out why i hardly had any on me. i tried some other stuff i found that if you eat garlic for 2 weeks stright it repeals everything, thats why bow hunters say dont eat onions or garlic during that time of the yr. deer pick it up quickly, by the way is the bug spray also anti skin sentative to, no mater what i used i tend to brake out in bad rash every time. i am from albert lea, i like lake winnie alot, i do remember in july of 2004 some poor guy forgot to roll up his windows on his famliy suv and the next morning it was covered in mayflies 10" deep inside.

u can reach me at flamefox2010@yahoo.com

Their website is www.natrapel.com. Seems like it would be for sensitve skin if it is gentle enough for small children. I am not sure though if it helps with ticks or not. You may want to check out the website for further details.

hello highbanks sorry it took so long to get back with you, i will try it to see what will happend. if anything that will work w/o making my skin get rashes, i will be happy. skin problems caused by agent orange, when my dad was in the army of the late 60's