• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

selling firearms

Lunker

Question

I have seen many guns for sale on this site, and plan to sell one of my own off soon. I have never sold, only bought guns, and my question, is there any legal issues you have to deal with when selling a gun from one individual to another? When buying from dealers there is red-tape, wondering about person to person.

18 answers to this question

I've bought guns through gunsamerica and private sellers. The safest way to transfer ownership of a gun is to go to your nearest dealer. The new owner will have to go through the NICS background check and the dealer will usually charge about $20 for this service. Guns can only be mailed to an FFL holder unless it is going to be repaired. Going to a gun dealer protects the seller from possibly selling to someone who can't legally own a gun, or once the gun has left your possession if it is ever used in a crime it won't be traced back to you. From the buyers standpoint is also protects them from buying a stolen gun.

Excellent, excellent advise. Thank you for explaining it so clearly.

Do the other sellers on this site do the same thing? didn't now this was an option. thanks for the info

Wait a minute you guys! You mean to tell me that Billy Bob can' take his old Model 12 over to Frumpy Joes house and just sell it to him. F. Joe hands B.Bob some cash and the deal is done. Who else knows?. Is it anybody elses business? How many guns do you think trade hands just this way. How many guns do you think change hands the other way....run to the dealer, pay him some money, fill out some forms etc.etc.

Gimme a break. mad.gif

Quote:

Wait a minute you guys! You mean to tell me that Billy Bob can' take his old Model 12 over to Frumpy Joes house and just sell it to him.

Yes it can be done, but the best way to avoid troubles after Frumpy Joe shoots his best friend for a forum discussion about guns is to have it certified on paper grin.gif

confused.gif

I've bought both of my Shotguns from friends with cash nothing more.

I would be more cautious about a handgun, I know all firearms are dangerous, but, handguns can be identified by a registered owner at some point, unless stolen new, or bought/handed down, prior to the gun laws. Rifles and shotguns to my knowledge are not yet required to be registered. Thus no paper trail. Good? bad? I will not make that call. But, I know a few people that are not allowed to hunt (at least for a few more years) that have shotguns and rifles.

These guys are not allowed to purchase handguns... I do not know if it is legal for these guys to have firearms in possession, but, I was not sitting in court with them either.

I was given a .22 revolver about 13 years ago, (elderly relative), I did not think anything of it, I have not registered it and it remains in a locked safe. I should bring it in and have it registered.

Does it matter on the size of a handgun if it needs to be registered?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Wooo there!

Don't sign away your gun rights so easily. We don't have mandatory firearm registration in Minnesota. The government has no business knowing what firearms law abiding citizens own.

I may be wrong but I believe all records of firearm transactions through NICS background check are to be destroyed after a time period to protect your rights.

You can't knowingly sell or buy firearms for someone with a felony. You'd do better by locking your guns up because gang bangers aren't going to buy your guns, they'll steal them.

I was merely concerned about the handgun, as I thought they had to be registered. confused.gif

I know rifles and shotguns are not registered.

Not signing rights away, just making sure I am a law abiding citizen. If the handgun does not need to be registered I will not register it... but, on the other hand.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

stmichael, the hand gun of your grandfathers that was passed down does not need to be registered nor does any hand gun bought from a private sale.

Fellas, I am just sick to my stomach at what I read here. Look what they've done to sportsmen and gun owners....quibbling and fretting about a simple transaction. You do NOT have to run anywhere to "register" your weapons (except for certain class III firearms) Purchase records are supposed to be destroyed (by law) after a set period.

If Frumpy Joe shoots Billy Bob after an argument about a Forum....thats F.Joe's problem....he violated a statute that prohibits that sort of thing! Got nuttin to do with B.Bob selling him an old shotgun or an old Colt Navy revolver. Egads boys, lets not make this gun nonsense any worse than it is.

Thank you very much for your time and goodnight. grin.gif

If you are concerned with a used gun you are buying, or a person you are selling to, give your local sheriffs dept a call, they will gladly give you the info, about the gun, or a felony that a person has.

Quote:

If Frumpy Joe shoots Billy Bob after an argument about a Forum....thats F.Joe's problem

I'd say its B. Bobs problem too wink.gif

I think you guys are making this a bigger deal than it really is. Yes, you can buy a gun out of the paper or other classified add face to face, but the buyer in this case will assume all liability (like criminal charges of buying stolen property). I wouldn't go out and register all the guns in your posession. In any type of distant fiream transaction where you have no relationship with the person, I would meet up at gun dealership or have it mailed to the dealer you want to pick up the gun as I described earlier. It is a fairly simple process, it takes about 10 minutes for the gun dealer to fill out a transfer of ownership form and a 5 minute phonecall.

Good idea. Now if you rob the local bank and happen to leave the gun behind you will have plenty of time to get away while the police are questioning your friends. shocked.gifwink.gif

My question is , why do you want to sell your guns? I wouldnt ever sell my guns, I just keep buying more. They work as good hand me downs to the kids. That and you can never have to many guns! grin.gif