Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wazz

Menagha Area??

9 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, We are heading up to the Menahga area in a couple of weeks, I have access to a small fishing boat. Anybody have any suggestions for lakes in the area. I ahve a couple of boys 8 and 10. So it would be nice to find a lake where would catch some panfish, but still have a chance for a pike or walleye.

I have no idea what is in the area, if any.

Any info would be helpful..

Thanks

WAzz

For sure give blueberry a shot, my Dad took my young cousin out there last summer and got a good number of pike the only down fall to the trip, if you can call it that, is they couldn't keep any because of the 24"-36" slot. sounds like fun to me. As far as panfish stocking has some good cappie but not sure how good the bite is in the summer. Twin lakes is another one in the area, it has been putin out some good gills on the north side in the winter but by this time of year that is probly quite weedy, at ony time it was a good eater pike lake but now mostly little snakes! hope this helps

At least that gives some ideas, thanks

Wazzz

We have a cabin on Stocking just out of menagha. The crappies are in there, but you have to do some searching and sorting. As always you will pick up a bunch of small northerns and not quite keepable sunfish. Bass are also an easy catch on Stocking. It you want walleyes, probably your only chance is accidentally getting one while targeting crappies. Another good lake for panfish is Hinds Lake(8-9ft clarity), but it is tricky to find the boat landing. It is in between menagha and park rapids. If you go to the dnr website and use the lake finder link, and then go to the recreation compass, it should list all the public accesses for every lake, pond, river etc. Even Spirit Lake right in town has been good to us, but I havent fished that one in a few years. It used to have monster sunfish, along with stocking lake but I havent seen the size come back. Like someone else mentioned, blueberry is good, never fished it personally. Almost any lake in the Menagha area will produce fish for you, but you gotta spend some time and find the right spot.

potato would be my best bet. I fished it twice this year for the first time And has success both times. Could be different this time of year, but that is where i would head. Lots of northern and bass caught fishing walleye.

I have heard a lot about that lake, but I'm not sure where its at?

Wazz

its north of PR a little ways. google maps will get you there

Quote:

I have heard a lot about that lake, but I'm not sure where its at?

Wazz

About 8 miles north of Park Rapids up 71, turn right on 40. Another mile or so and the landing is on your right after crossing the small bridge that spans the water way from Eagle to Potato. It's on the curve and comes up fast... easy to miss it.

Nick

Alright I got it