Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RonZych

Three Island lake ??

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is a way to get on 3 island lake? It is the one just north of crooked lake East of Marcell about 7 miles.

Thanks,

Ron

If you figure it out please let me know, I grew up fishing every summer very near there and always wanted to try. I've found forestry maps that show a protage from crooked but I've never been able to locate the trail. Now that I'm a little older and more mobile (own vehicle and boat) I should probably just head over and ask some homeowners if they'd mind me accessing the lake through their land the next time I'm up in the area. Good luck

A friend of mine that owns a cabin in the area used to fish it years ago, but the person that granted them access to the lake died and he hasn't been back since. He says it's a great lake loaded with big bass, and I'm sure it still is because nobody can get on it to fish it. I'd be interested in it too as I'll be in the area the end of August.

Sounds like we will need to do a road trip from the cabin and check on it. We are on Grave lake the week of the 4th.

There is a portage from crooked lake. It is up over a big hill on the north side, I believe there is a prtage sign. the trail is pretty good but it is kinda long. three island is a decent smallie lake but it is not unlike many of the other more accessable lakes in the area. it does however make for a fun little trip though. If you go, post how you did. I live on bigisland and make it over there every five years or so. I have had mixed results.

About 45 yrs ago a guy from Talmoon took my parents & I (I was a little kid) to 3 Island. We loaded up a small wood boat in his pickup & used that. I don't remember carrying it through a portage-- he probably knew someone who had property there where we could launch it. As I remember, we caught smallmouth on a rock/gravel bar between 2 islands or island and shore till someone (probably me) dropped a tackle box, then it was over. It was either quite shallow or clear water because we could see bottom.

I have lots of good memories from that area, it's beautiful.

Quote:

three island is a decent smallie lake but it is not unlike many of the other more accessable lakes in the area

The reason I am thinking of going there is the smallmouth and the adventure of getting there. Grave offers good fishing for panfish and thats about it. A week of fishing for those gets a little overboard. What are the other more accessible lakes for smallies. You can e-mail me if you don't want to post(I don't keep smallies)

Looks like I need to find a canoe....

Ron, I sent you an email that may help you out a bit!!!

Brian

Fished it many times many years ago. Always had a blast. I would love to get back on the lake, but no longer have connections. It used to be that if you were to cast the shorelines in the morning in the shady areas with a Whistler jig and a 2" grub, you could have your way with the smallies. We never caught anything huge (although, I've seen some big ones) but the fish came in bunches. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks, bmc.

BMC - I'd be interested as well and would appreciate any help you could provide!

matts@hharchery.com

Checked the website on lake X. 28ft water clarity!!! I will have to snorkel around that one.

I heard Caribou is the clearest lake in the state.