Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KOTTKE

MN Bear License

5 posts in this topic

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine regarding MN bear license process. Why are we not required to purchase a license prior to baiting. There seems to be a shortage every year in a number of zones. We both know of people who apply every year and don't alway purchase a license to hunt either because of time constants or lack a bear activity. Would it not be a better system to have all hunters purchase license on or befor Aug.1st, and then allow all surplus licenses to be purchased over the counter after that. There is so much time between application deadlines and actual drawings that many folks forget and make other commitments that will not allow them to hunt. Also there is the issue of additional funds for our ever broke MN DNR.

I disagree as baiting does not start till Aug. 15 and some baits never get hit so that hunter that was drawn sometimes will not purshase that license so if he needs to buy it by Aug. 1st and his baits never get hit he will still not hunt and we are in the same boat just that he was forced to spend $39.00 which is good for the DNR but the license is still not availible for the unsuccessfull applicate.

I also think it makes sense to require a license to bait.

I do not know if it is the same as a turkey license but if you are drawn and your bait is not hit then you have the option to not purchase the license and keep your preferance points? I know that is the way it works with the turkey drawings.

I just think the hunt begins when you start to bait, my point was that too many folks apply with the bet intentions, but never purchase a tag, leaving many folks out there that would love to buy a tag, even if you don't have success with baiting its a great chance to get out early in the year and get into the woods, its amazing what you can see sitting over a bait pile even if a bear doesn't show.