Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milkdud

South Turtle Lake

8 posts in this topic

I will be fishing South Turtle Lake on Saturday and possibly Sunday. What kind of fish can I expect to catch and any locations to start would be appriciated! I would like to catch some walleyes if possible.

The lake has all the basic species. It can be a tricky lake. One day your on um the next you can't catch a thing. Have to just bop around the lake trying different tactics. I wish I knew more. I fish it all the time, this lake has driven me bonkers. Good luck. I am usually out there. I drive the 14' gremlin.

Try fishing on my driveway, the water is high enough!!

As far as walleyes on ST I think you need a little wind or they'll see you. If the lake is calm, fish for something else (panfish or bass). I also never use leeches for eyes since all the dang sunfish will just knock your leech off.

I don't have any one good spot for eye's but there are some nice eyes in there. The picture on the left is a 27 incher I got 2 years ago. cool.gif

I think it took my one neighbor 20+ years to finally land his first walleye on ST so it's not like their jumping in the boat. I have a 17' Nitro, I should be out there although I may be taking my kid out for some panfish.

I agree with archerystud. Small panfish will drive you crazy. The weeds go out to 16-18 feet and the grass can even go out further than that. If you can find a good weed edge, fish it. You'll catch almost everything. I'll be out in the old 16' Smokercraft. Report back on how you do.

Thanks for the tips! I will be out in a 16' Lund Pro Sport Blue and Tan.

good Luck!

Milkdud -

How was your weekend?

Milkdud:

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know??

My son and I picked up a real good batch of sunnies. Have any luck with walleyes? I didn't try for any this past weekend.

The weekend was great! Nice weather and did well with the fishing! Didn't land any walleyes but caught several crappies, bass, northerns, and sunfish. All in all it was a great time and a fun lake to fish.