Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wallayewolloper

rush lake fishing

4 posts in this topic

going to be heading up this firday for a week. how has the fishing been? any pointers would be great. first time on the lake. we will be staying at wilowood resort. good or bad?will be trying for wallys and might try for gills and crappies. any thing would help. thanks!!!

We just finished a week on Rush Lake. Windy and rainy, but we caught lots of fish. Here's what I know - I'm no expert, but I can pretend. LOL.

1) Sunfish - in the reeds - 4-6 feet. TIGHT against the reed beds - flip plain hooks with waxies. We did real well east of the 2 towers in the reeds - lots of really nice sunfish. There were lots of bass in the same areas as well - 1 to 2 pounds. All Nice fish.

2) Walleyes are going in that 20-25 foot range on spinners with crawlers. Lots of people are fishing the south east breaks - looking for fish and fishing the individual pods. They do have a great lakemaster map out - bring your GPS - or you will go crazy out there. (well, at least I did). I know the guides were using 3 oz bottom bouncers as well, but he was really hunting fish. BTW - whoever that regular guide is out there is a real pro with a sweet Lund 2010. I know his rates are real reasonable and he puts you on fish - so you might want to call him and see if he has an opening. His name is "Josh Haggemeister. Here is a link

Josh

3) The rock bass are EVERYWHERE.

4) I never checked for walleyes shallow, pulling cranks, but you gotta know they are there.

Hope this helps. Have fun. I love that lake.

Ross Hagemeister

Just got back from Rush. Stayed at Shady Grove. Got there Monday 6/11, left on Friday 6/15. Caught every type of fish the lake has to offer including Dogfish. Hammered the Walleyes on the North end of the lake in shallow water, 4-8 feet trolling Lindy rigs with crawler harness and leeches. Many fish in the 17 to 20" range. Lots of fun. Strong South wind blew for 2 days. Must have blown bait to North End. Did well in this shallow water no matter what time of day it was. Trolling very slow with just a split shot for weight, just enough to drag across the tops of the weeds. Good luck and have fun! wink.gif