Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle Sandberg

Lead core help!

8 posts in this topic

I have a rod but I need help in finding the reel and what pound test to use. For a reel I was thinking the cabelas Depth Master II and just the cabelas lead core. What do you think?

For Lake Superior I use 35# Leadcore, I am guessing your thinking in the 15# range for inland fishing.

For that use I would look at maybe a Penn 310 or a Okuma Convector CV-45

I use the Penn 320GTi on a Shimano Talora for Great Lakes. Has a really nice pick up rate for getting that heavy line in.

My Lead core setup consists of the cabelas Depthmaster gold 20 and their depthmaster leadcore rod and their 18 # line spooled full with no backing. Works well for me!Only used for walleye! If you target other bigger fish you may want heavier!

The one thing I should have commented on is after my purchases and some of my fishing friends purchases of the Depthmaster Rigs. I would stay away from them. Pretty shoddy construction.

Cheffery

I agree the gold series are worth the extra money over the depthmasters!

I have a Cabela's Depthmaster Gold 30-series, left-hand linecounter that's spooled up with lead core.

It seems to be of decent quality.

The golds are way better. But for most of use fisherman on a typical lake the Cabela's depthmaster will be just fine. I have both. If you lead cord alot then the depthmaster isn't what you want but if it is a handful of times over the year then they will be ok. The ones Cheffery mention are probably the best but they are more that I want to spend for how much I use them though.

Diawa Sea Lines for me.The 47s will hold 100yards of lead,I use 27lb test cause you never know whats gonna hit on the river.Ive tried the Accudepths but had problems with 2 of them.Sealines are a little more money but have preformed rock solid for me....2cnts