• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10-16 reports

Four of us fished out of Thunderbird lodge for the week and found it to be a tough bite. Some people say they did well but would'nt even give you a idea if it was in Canada or the US. We tried from Ranier (Sand Bay, I really have no clue what to do there) to Blueberry Island, all in the US, not anything consistant and and just a few anyways. We fished 10-35' depths, Lindy type rigs with crawlers and shinners, jigs with minnows or plastics. What did we miss? HTB

i think the fish are in a transitional period, i used to go rainy this time of yr, and we had good trips and tough trips. once we get a little more into summer the fish will move out to the reefs and will also be suspended in deep water. I'm with you on sand bay.

Hi HB,

Sorry to hear you weren't able to get on the fish to your liking. Sounds like you were working for them and searching all over. I've really found the bite this year to be a fairly subtle one. I'm fishing with as much finesse as the conditions will allow. On the other hand I have trolled some cranks when the wind picks up, and I'm marking fish. The fishing as always is good for one, and bad for another. I can't stress enough the importance of marking fish, and getting on top of them. This is truly a vast fishery, and you certainly aren't alone having a tough time when coming up for a week of vacation getting on the right pattern. Hope you get a chance to give it another try this summer, and if you do give me a shout.

RD

I am trying to figure out Sand Bay myself as we just bought a place around the point from Rainy Lake Marina. We usually fish right in front of my house in the evening and catch a fair number of small walleyes. Sorting thru them to maybe keep 2-3 that are 14-16.5". Have only caught one slot that being a 25" that my daughter caught from shore casting a shad rap. Only have fished the 14' depth and have never seen another boat fishing the shoreline. Usually just jig also catch 2-3 crappies per outing, biggest only 12", which is great for me. Did troll it last night from our house down to the west about 1 mile and only caught 4 walleyes 3 real small and one 16.5". I am guessing that most people don't fish it because there is a lot of small fish. I hope I am wrong, but will keep trying to figure it out.

Well Pznak,

I never left the Sand Bay area today and caught 15 eyes over 20 inches. That obviously isn't all that common for me at least, but there is an abundance of good fishing in this area. I see it all the time watching resort customers and others who haven't fished the lake all that much yet struggle to catch quality fish. I would say often it is a combination of needing some fine tuning on there presentation, and understanding the areas to fish. I have an advantage of being on the water now 7 days a week. Don't give up though! Just consider it a challenge.

Good Fishing!

RD

I hope my post didn't sound like a complaint because I am totally thrilled with the fishing I have had on Rainy. I enjoy trying to find different spots away from the crowds and have found several areas that we have caught some slot fish, not large numbers but fun the same. I hear a lot about 20 - 30 foot depths but so far to me my best has been 12 - 16'. I really love all the info on this site as it is helpfull to understand a new lake. I try different areas during the day. I have a handicap daughter that loves to troll so at night I take her out and stick by the house and go towards birch point, that is the area that I never see anyone so I was just guessing that it isn't as good, we have a blast though. How far east do you consider is still sand bay? One thing about the walleyes that I can't believe is how fat they are, nothing like the ones that I have caught in Canada.

Good Morning Pznak,

We'll have to get out fishing sometime. I live on Tilson bay across from the public access. I echo your thoughts on feeling blessed to be living on this magnificent body of water. I agree there is something special about finding fish away from the crowds or at least thinking you've found your own secret honey hole for a bit. There are some seriously good walleye sticks who help moderate this site, and are very willing to share little bits of information to help make your fishing a little more successful. When you stop learning about walleye fishing you don't get any better. I'm learning everyday, and seems daily I bank something that makes me a better angler. I've always said the single most important piece of technology you can own here is GOOD electronics, and know how to use them. This is a vast fishery in which the fish are often on the move, and it is vital to locate fish. There are locations in which with the right conditions will give way to eyes in the evening in which you may want to wait them out, and may not be marking them. In most cases I absolutely will want to comb the area marking the location of the fish prior to wetting a line. Kind of funny a few days ago I had a customer who I could tell was getting anxious to drop his line down, but 5 spots in a row in which had been very productive were clean (NO FISH) on the graph. I told him we're going to find fish, but even the best fisherman can't catch fish that aren't there. On our way to another likely spot I marked several nice fish in what I often refer to as nowhere land (Fish seemingly not relating to structure). I quickly fired out a marker, and we came back and dropped down right on top of them. We preceded to land 17 walleyes in the next 45 minutes between the two of us. I overheard my group giving a litttle walley 101 while talking to other guests at the resort as I was cleaning our catch saying "Have to watch your graph guys! Can't catch fish that aren't there!" Ha! Gotta love that! Those guys just became hooked on walleye fishing!, and thats what it is all about. FYI if you haven't met Fishmeister yet stop in for a meal at Hardees and ask for him. Not only will he be a great guy for you to meet, but I guarantee you will teach you something about Rainy. Nobody here is passing out GPS coordinates for obvious reasons, but learning how to find fish is really what will make you a successful angler in the future. A "Spot" may only be good for a night, but a bit of Rainy Walleye 101 will last you a lifetime. Tell him Daze sent you! I'm sure he won't hold that against you! Ha!

Good Fishing Guys!

RD

Thanks for the advice RD. I guess next time Ill just have to get a lesson from you. I do have top end sonar and gps but I'm definetly afraid to run in the dark on Rainy, what do you consider evening fishing? HTB

Have any have you been fishing the smallmounth? What kind of depths or phase are they in coming up for the first time and any info would be great!!

Thanks

HI Guys!

We've been getting the Smallmouth up on the beds yet. I've been slinging skitter pops, and floating raps. I'm set up with a 4 inch pumpkinseed twister if they miss the skitter pop. There is a million ways to fish them. In regards to the evening fishing. I like to fish right up to dark. Often times that last 1/2 hour of fishing is action packed landing fish on every other cast. The big females are really smacking right now. FYI you certainly don't need to be heading to the East end to catch nice fish. Caught some nice fish yesterday just before the gail force winds came again. Biggest fish went 23 inches. Give me a shout next time your up. Good fishing Guys! Also for all those not living up here, and heading up on a vacation the Dam is letting some serious water out right now. Consider this when highlighting likely fishing spots.

Rainydaze, how's tomorrow looking for ya? I'd be up for smallies or slabs.

Hey Uffda!

I'm guiding tomorrow! Haven't been fishing crappies since donating my lower unit in Black Bay. Did pull some nice smallies out a few days ago though. We'll get out sooner or later buddy!

RD

Where are some of the better areas on the MN side for smallies, hearing alot of bays that are on the Canadian side any help would be great

thanks,

Canadian walleyes are taxed at 52%!

They can't afford to eat!

Quote:

Hey Uffda!

I'm guiding tomorrow! Haven't been fishing crappies since donating my lower unit in Black Bay. Did pull some nice smallies out a few days ago though. We'll get out sooner or later buddy!

RD

Where in Black Bay did you hit bottom?

In that spot where the rock pile is slightly rounded off now. Across from the visitor center towards Gold portage. I was fishing the "On Golden Pond" like spot. Ha! Walter you Ole *** ** ****! Good TImes! Still stings a little thinking about it though!