• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Redgut/Porters Inlet Report!!!d

We made it up to Porters/Redgut for the afternoon yesterday and the fishing was pretty fantastic overall, even if we didn't get a good pin on the crappies. Surface water temperature was 68-71 degrees. We hit a few warms spots in the back of Porters.

We found some active walleyes in about 13-16 feet of water. A jig with a gulp minnow or a frozen shiner was turning most of the fish. Jig color didn't matter. Not alot of big fish, but some nice 13-16 inchers.

Chased some crappies as well. We found them suspended over 32' of water and suspended in as shallow as 9' of water. Southern Crappie Pro tubes in the firetiger colors. In the next week or two they should school up nicely.

Smallies were definately the in thing! Post-spawn smallies were agressive and hitting raps like crazy. Poppers were even working in the evening hours. Look to 6' of water on the boulders to produce most fish.

I am getting ready for muskies this afternoon!! I will let you know how that goes on a post tomorrow!

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

tEARIN' LIPS

I'll be staying at thunderbird this next week and chasing smallies.We have RABC'S and the last 2 years have had a hoot with the fly rods. I have been fishing bleak and swell. I'm not asking for specifics, but any new direction would be appreciated.

I fished Porters yesterday morning. Second boat in there. By 10:30 dozens of boats had entered. Too crowded for my taste so went back to ramp. FIVE rigs waiting to use the ramp! I managed to lose my digital camera at the ramp - arrrgh. Not sure what happened to it.

Seemed like every point was getting pounded. We got a few nice bass and lots of dink walleyes. Lindy Munchie worms worked best on eyes. We were working a small bay and as we approached the point on the end I hooked a decent bass. Two other boats (unseen until we rounded point) were coming from opposite direction. First boat also hooked a nice bass. Neither of us wanted to leave so we both sat in our respective spots. Other boat had to go around us. Anybody going past no doubt thought we were in a honey hole but not the case.

I have heard many reports over the years about the great fishing in Red Gut and Porters but I have yet to experience it. Always catch fish there but still waiting for a day full of lunkers.

Just got back from Spawn Inlet area. Lots of small walleyes, very hard to get into some decent size fish. We caught several in the 22-23" range, but very hard to get some eaters-lots in the 13" range. Also, even though we caught a fair amount of fish, the overall numbers were down. The kids switched to pike fishing and caught many fish in the high twenty to low thirty range. The crappies were hard to come by, we caught more eye fishing than when we were fishing for them. The water temp was jumping back and forth all over the place with the all the rain. Water level must be back to about normal. Five of our group went up to Trout Lake and got into some very nice Walleyes, the quatity of fish is so much better on Trout. I understand that Trout has some outpost cabins on the lake, anybody have name or two?

wallabee - where do you stay up there? I have been running up to Sprawn Inlet Lodge for 8 or 9 years and I too thought this year was particularily tough. Plenty of 12 - 13", but anything else was a struggle. Doesn't seem to be as many "quality" fish up there as in past years. I'm heading up 2 or 3 more times this year, I hope my luck is better then.

I also stay at Sam's, been doing so for over 20+ years. Seems like the last few years the quality of fish has been going down. Lots of numbers of small fish, but eaters are tough to come by. I need to find out where to stay on Trout Lake, good numbers and better quality, plus lakers. We usually go up around Memorial Wknd, Labor Day Wknd and sometime mid-summer. Where ya from?

I have heard there is a place to stay on Trout, but don't know who operates it. I must be right ahead or behind you up there. I am up right after Memorial and in mid/late September. This year I'll be up again in August. I did have a good trip last June, but the other trips have not produced the fish the area used to hold. I love the area, but may start looking at other options. The group I go with has been staying with Sam for 20+ years as well. I'm in Maple Grove - not too far from you.

Thanks for the link to the outpost. Little too steep for my pockets. Does the Silver Muskie run an outpost cabin on Trout?

Noclue, do you go with Rick O? If so, I started with that group in the mid 80's and now go with my own group.

I am up there with Rick O. John P is my father and I finally started going with them 8 or 9 years ago. I have made a few trips on my own and have a group I am bringing up there in August.

I started going with Rick and Greg S. back in the mid 80's. I use to work with Greg. Your Dad was with us, it sure was a fun group. Do they still do the "Tequila" thing? Boy do I hate Tequila, sure glad others like it. When Greg and Rick parted ways I stopped going for a few years and started again with my own group. Were always right before or after you guys in the spring and fall. Does your Dad own the shoe store? After seeing the cost of the outpost, might have to make a few more trips with Sam.

The tequila ritual has sort of faded away. Maybe not dead yet, but time will tell. The group isn't getting any younger. The shoe store is gone. Dad retired last fall and sold everything. Maybe I'll see you up there at some time. I run a black and tan Lund Fisherman 1800 with a Honda 150.

Were thinking of trying someplace different for our fall trip, however, we have been saying that for a few years and end up at Sams. I run a Alumacaft T/P, 175, green w/115 Merc.