Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minnesota_Herb

Fishy Nicknames

3 posts in this topic

I'm curious to hear some of the nicknames given to fish we find here in the Upper Midwest.

For example, Floridians call Crappies "Specks" and Canucks call northern pike "Jacks".

Here are a few others:

Bronzebacks (Smallmouth Bass)

Southern Carp & Bucket Mouths(Largemouth Bass)

Mud Rockets (Sauger)

Minnesota Bonefish (Mooneye)

Hammer Handles (Small Northern Pike)

Cigars (Small Walleyes)

Surf Boards (Giant Muskies)

Let's see some others...

Lets not forget.

Striper.........(White Bass)

Dogfish........(Bowfin)

Sheephead...(Drum)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Deet
      Anyfish2 - thanks for the reports. I believe it was you who had written a little summary that included a rough estimation of when the LF river busts open and muddies the Rainy.    Can you (or anyone) comment on when that's looking likely to happen? anyone know when the river cleared the Frontier landing? I think you said that happening gives a 1-to-2 week notice on the LF breakup.
    • cabsav
      recommendation for first timers to northern Minnesota?  we need decent lodging, boat or sitontop kayak, smallmouth is our favorite but we will fish for anything that will bite artificial.  thanks in advance for any help.
    • cabsav
      My Alaska trip fell through, so I'm thinking having never been to Minnesota that should be my destination. thinking a week in august. Probably start International Falls or Duluth. We need a resort with sit on top kayaks or aluminum boats, comfortable lodging without being plush and not ripping our heads off pricewise.  We will target Smallmouth, but if it will hit a lure I will fish for it. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    • Chill62
      Went out of Stoney Point sunday morning.  FYI Watch for deer almost smoked a few on the 20 mph section coming back into the access!  There is an ice heave forming off of the rocks going straight north.  If you want to fish Paris Trench people were crossing instantly using boards.  We weren't gutsy/brave/stupid enough to cross there since we were pulling a trailer behind a four wheeler and had 3 of us with all our gear.  The ice was sketchy from access to point at the point the ice heave goes a little further away from shore and it allows you some room to avoid the point's tip.  There is open water immediately around the point tip but ice looks great if you follow the tracks and avoid huging the tip.  We couldn't find a place to cross the ice heave to get to Paris Trench so we were going to try a few spots further north since we could see a few groups set up north a ways.  About 5.5 miles north of the access the ice heave quits and you can cross it without any worries.  Since we could cross the GPS spot we wanted to fish was only 2.5 miles away and we fished there.  Out in the middle we had 26-28" of ice and barely made it through.  While fishing a plane landed on the lake and a 1/2 ton extended cab pickup came from the NE some where, it was too foggy misty to see where and we didn't see him leave.  Coming back from Stoney Point's Tip to the access was very sketchy.  Made me nervous since there was a lot of slush and water but ice held us up.  If you plan on going out next weekend you may need to find a different access, or atleast I would!  Talked to a guy who came in behind us, they crossed the ice heave at the access using boards how they did and they said it was very slow and only got two.
    • james_walleye
      I've got a 53" ski...41"pike and an accidental 22" smallie on V. I have caught a 31" eye but not on vermilion.  Id  like to get a 30 out of there.