• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When will the Mayflies be done?Are they hatching in Big bay yet.?Water temp if anyone knows?Thx

I too am curious on water temps and any hatch updates?

Anyone know?

Can anybody help us out?Cliff said they went out hard on in Pike bay on 5th or 6th.It,s been hot,what goin on ,does anybody know?Water temp too.Thx

Greg

Water temps are 72-74 depending on location. Mayflys not apparent on surface in Big Bay,but more in water column today. Hatch in next week?

As of this morning (6/15) on the west side the water temps are in the mid-60's and there isn't even a hint of a hatch yet..... nothing on the surface, and none of those tell-tale 'clouds' on sonar.

Frazer Bay had temps in mid 60's last weekend (9th-10th) with mayfly's on the surface. Whitefish were rolling surface both nights, I'm assuming they were feasting on the mayflys.

June, 16. There were a few mayflys on the surface of Big Bay this morning. Rotten walleye bite also! frown.gif

Ecpect the BIG ONE sometime soon!

Cliff

There was one in Oak Narrows when I was up last week. The surface water temp was mid to upper 60's some spots saw 70+ also.

How's the hatch up in the Wake em up Bay area? We are planning on heading up there later this week(if I can get the RV fixed) to do some camping and fishing.

They are thick on the north side of Hinsdale. All over the cabin.

I fished the Greenwood Bay area this morning for a couple of hours. Only caught one 18" walleye.

Mayflys all over the surface there. tongue.gif

Cliff

Water temp in Frazer bay was 72-74. Friday night there were mayflys on the surface, flying and in the water column. Fishing was great anywhere near the clouds as long as I was marking fish under them near the bottom. Standard lindy, 5' snell, red bead, red hook and a whole crawler. No short bites. I boated 12 in 40 minutes with 4 keepers. Saturday morning was the same with larger fish. After that things slowed to a crawl. Lots of marks, not a lot of active fish.

good for you...this is your buddy from Sioux City...thought you had sold your place...hadn't seen you on the water yet this year...I will be up the week of the 4th...with both of the dogs and the new ride...see you on the water...sounds like you had the mogo going on the water!!!!

Hey Mark,

Been off line for a couple of days. I've been up every other weekend since opener and looking for you! I've also had some time during the week which has been nice. I'll been in Canada the week of the 4th. We'll catch up at some point. Fishing has been pretty good as long as you find them grin.gif

Andy

In regards to a mayfly hatch, I fished Mille lacs today and the mayfly's were so thick you could get a false reading for the bottom. We did do very well though with slots and some nicer eyes. It can be done only with a little extra effort. smile.gif

ditto on the great fishing on the west end...consistantly bigger fish than years past...be safe up north...will see you later in July I am sure.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.