• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RAINYDAZE...HERE IS YOUR CHANCE!!!

HI C.G.,

GET YOUR BUTT UP THERE & APPLY FOR THAT CHAMBER PRESIDENT & WILL GET SOME LOCAL BUSINESSMAN TO WRITE SOME LETTERS IN YOUR SUPPORT...NOW IS YOUR CHANCE...GO FOR IT...YOU WOULD BE AWESOME.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

From what FM has told me, you should consider it. This area needs a change. Some fresh ideas.

Wow Guys!

Thanks so much! I don't feel worthy! I really do feel that this area needs more press. Thats the reason I've did some writing for the Outdoor news. I've always been amazed at how this flat out magnificent fishery can seemingly be undiscovered in comparison to the other Big 6 lakes here in Minnesota. This area is an Outdoorsmans dream! I absolutely love guiding here on Rainy, and would hate to limit that. I was introduced to fishing very young, and I love to help others enjoy what we are all enjoying here on a nightly basis. I will definately consider the position if it were to be offered to me! Fishmeister your a class guy! Everyone who I talk to echoes the same thing! Keep up the hard work at Hardees! You run a first class operation buddy! By the way while fishing tonight I noticed the dam must be letting out some water as there was some serious flow change from last evening. We caught around 25 eyes, and had a 6 year old catch his very first walleye, sauger and crappie! Kudos Andrew thats the way you ROLL! Ha! Good fishing Guys! Check out Woody's Fairly reliable website for Andrews Picture! Should be uploaded tomorrw! Congrats Andrew hope this is the first of many buddy!

Go for it Chris, please. We need some new blood and new ideas!

I'll second that...well I guess third that! You'd do well Daze!

Thanks Uffda!

I am definately considering it. Sounds like it is kind of like a REAL JOB! Hmnnn.... Ha! I've always laughed when I hear people complain about guiding. Don't get me wrong it's not all roses, but your still on the water, and your still fishing. I think you guys feel the same as I when introducing or just helping people enjoy what we have to offer. I have had such enjoyment fishing I couldn't imagine not having it a part of my life. It truly is a flat out passion of mine. Cheryl and I know how lucky we are to be here, and absolutely love it. Last year we saw timberwolves running across Tilson Creek out our front windows in the snow! I really can't figure out which season I enjoy more. We go from tremendous open water fishing/boating/waterskiing to bowhunting/waterfowl hunting/grouse hunting to world class ice fishing/snowmobiling... I'm getting fired up just thinking about it. What the heck am I doing inside on the computer! Ha! Hey Uffda what is your schedule coming up? Lets get out like I had mentioned before donating a lower unit to the Black Bay Lower unit Graveyard as Dave would say! Ouch that still stings! That is a terrible sound, and a feeling you don't forget soon, yet I highly doubt that will be my last rock! Just trying to do my part by leveling that one off for the next guy! Oh by the way the fee that will be charged for the excavating via lower unit will be $4279.00. I'll bring that up at the next sportfishing club meeting! Take care guys!

Hey Uffda what is your schedule coming up?

Quote:

This week - any time Wednesday, Thursday after 2:30 or Friday or Saturday until noon.

O.K. Buddy!

Let me see how my schedule looks. I think middle of the week should work out fine. Pounded the walleyes today while dodging Rain, Wind, and heading back and forth to shore because of lightning. Special Thanks to Gary this morning from Indianapolis, and my afternoon group who both weathered some tough conditions for some nice eyes! Looking forward to our half day evening trip tomorrow Gary!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Boys!

Hope nobody is here to read this as your all out on the lake fishing! I'll be out later! Great thing about Rainy is seemingly the bite can be good all day with the dark water. Just thought that I would send a quick update in regards to the important Chamber President job. I did go in and talk to Rob in regards to the general job descripiton... I was very impressed with him, and he was able to answer a lot of my initial questions. I do believe I will be throwing my name in the pool of candidates for this position. I sense that my experiences through reaching out to the sportsman through my Outdoor News writing, and being a former Sales Manager of this site will help bridge the gap between the most beautiful area in the state and upcoming business's and newcomers to the area. I'm a firm believer that the right canditate for this position will have to have a sales background, passion for the area, and the willingess to ruffle a few feathers. Of course those who know me know I'm just a regular guy, and not interested in a desk job... Much rather be on the lake guiding! With that being said I understand the importance of someone taking the horns to steer this community around back in the right direction. If it doesn't scare you coming into town seeing the closed signs on so many business's it should. There are some obstacles to overcome, but not road blocks. I feel being the gateway to Canada, and having Canada put a tighten up there openings is hurting. I feel a billboard on the way up showing how to get here is a joke. Our billboard should read Rainy Lake the most beautiful lake in Minnesota "Where the crowds are small and the fish are big! I personally cannot think of another area in the state I'd rather be. Talking to Cheryl the otherday I had this smile on my face. When asked what was up? I replied "Walleye fishing out front door, bow hunting out back door, duck hunting to the west in the creek, Ice fishing over there in the narrows! Wow! It's a dream come true! I know that many of you whom I've met feel the same way, and are on the same page that "Smart Growth" is important. If I end up being offered this position I can assure you there will be no better salesman for this area! Thanks for your support! It's time to coordinate the powers to be for the overall good of the area. This includes the park! We have marketing advantages that nobody else has.

RD

Hey R.D. very glad to here that. Yes I too should be out on the lake. But the kids wanted to go to the parade. Once again I am glad you threw your name in the hat. Good Luck. See ya Tues. nite ,on the 10th, at the mtg.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd pass my best on to the next Chamber President. I've taken myself out of the possible candidates. I truly hope that someone will take over the reigns in this important position without any political agendas, but to put this economic region back on the map. One of the things that has lead to my change of heart is our border situation. To say that our Border crossing agents are less than friendly would be the understatement of the year. Nope probably not all of them, but most you will come into contact with will leave a lasting sour impression. They continue to shake down fisherman, and would be visitors with ruthless, rude and dictatorship like means. I really have to scoff at the whole deal when one border has millions pouring over it, and the other bans things like potatoes. No question about the fact that it is a government ran operation in which you are given the authority to be outright rude and disrespectful no matter the situation. I've had the painful pleasure of dealing with them on several occassions with extreme discomfort. I personally have talked with I don't know how many whom have all together stopped going to Canada just because of the mistreatment. On one side our area temporarily will benefit from visitors being turned away at the border, but in the long run it will be imperitive to move away from the "Gateway to Canada" sign. They obviously are not on the same page with there tourist seeking resorts operations as they are severely hindering there operations. On the positive side the Ifalls area is flat out beautiful, and we won't strip search you if you want to come have a good time with your family. Arguably the most beautiful lake in the state if not the world. Miles of undeveloped shoreline with an abundance of fish and wildlife. THere are some politics that need to be addressed to right the ship here. On one hand you have the National Park, and on the other hand you have our attempts at no border crossings. I've seen no signs that either want more business. Those are obstacles likely needed to be addressed in a political arena. I'm not that political I guess. I'm gonna stick to catching fish with people! Good Fishing Guys!

RD

I have crossed at I. Falls/ Fort Francis many times over the years. I have no complaints about the folks at either end of the bridge.

Been given a THOROUGH search once (1975!), X-rayed a couple times, specially briefed a few times, extra searched many times (usually the boat). I even had to spend a few hours on the bridge because my guest from Australia had left his passport back in Wisconsin. In none of these experiences have the border guards been rude or unfriendly.

They have been far more patient then I could ever be.

I hope someone with some fresh and new ideas (outside the box)will get in the chamber position. I understand RD, the politics can be a pain in the rear. As far as problems at the border, I too haven't ever had a problem on either side. My family crosses that border very frequently and it is always a friendly experience.

Well I guess I've just had isolated experiences. I have had a enclosed trailer pretty much dismantled on the way up to Sioux Lookout in the middle of the night. My fishing party was left to try put it back together without much luck. Was a complete disaster. Don't know what they were looking for, but obviously didn't find anything. Agent just said have a nice trip and left. I guess he was nice? I brought a puppy back from across the border, and you would have thought I had something a bit more dangerous as I fielded 300 questions from seemingly the CIA along with the shakedown of who my fiancee was how I knew her, who was with me, all while having my vehicle opened from behind and searched. I have also witnessed upwards of 20 fishing parties get turned away at the border losing there deposits on there fishing trips. Make no doubt they will not return. I have further business dealings which have been eventful to say the least. I've dealt with 3 different border crossings, so this is not to say they have all taken place in our own. I also hope not to be given preferential treatment because I'm local, but fail to comprehend the guilty until proven innocent theory. Seems to somewhat contradict the good ole USA standby. I have been told if they know you it is a much easier, but I pose the question what toll that takes on tourism. My assumption would be there may be a few unfamiliar faces that may want to cross. One thing I have really noticed is the decline in the build up of lines on Hwy 11 going into Canada this year. Seems quite noticeable to me, but maybe just my imagination. I suppose there is data available somewhere to answer that question, but It would be interesting to know. In fact I think I'll see if I can access that. Seems that would answer a few questions right or wrong. With that being said. The Fish are still biting!

Good Fishing!

RD

Canada certainly does turn back anybody with a DUI or other felony (DUI is a felony in Canada) on their record and many trips have been ruined because visitors did not know the rules.

I also think the lines are not as long on Friday & Saturday. But it is Canada's call as to who gets in. My guess is that eventually they will relax the DUI prohibition. Too many resorts losing customers. Canada does have a procedure that can allow folks with an OLD felony record to get into the country but it is takes time and must be done in advance.

From what I have seen and heard about the searches, both countries do catch a significant number of undeclared items that visitors try to bring in. And if they find one undeclared bottle of booze, you expect a long delay and a fine. See visitors at the border often trying to explain away the bottle they "forgot".

HEY R.D.,

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP, AND IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PURSUE THE CHAMBER JOB, I UNDERSTAND. YOU HAVE A GREAT PERSONALITY & WOULD HAVE DONE WELL IN THAT POSITION. YOU LIKE PEOPLE, AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I THINK THE SECRET IS TO GET SOMEONE IN THERE WHO FOLKS LIKE & THEN HE OR SHE CAN SLOWLY MAKE CHANGES FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE FALLS. ONCE YOUR RESPECTED, PEOPLE WILL AGREE WITH YOUR DECISION PROCESS., KINDA LIKE WINNING THEM OVER.

AS FAR AS THE BORDER, YOU CAN BLAME THAT ON TO 9/11. I CROSS COMING BACK INTO MY OWN COUNTRY,HAVING KNOWN THE AGENT WHO IS QUESTIONING ME FOR 26 YEARS, AND THEY ASK FOR MY I.D., ITS LIKE YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING. WELL I LOOK AT IT FOR ANOTHER REASON. SAFETY...AFTER THE TWIN TOWERS WERE DESTROYED BY A SENSELESS ACT, AMERICA HAD TO TAKE SOME SERIOUS STEPS, SO YOU & I CAN FEEL SAFE FROM THOSE WHO HATE AMERICANS. I HAVE NEVER HAD TO LIVE IN FEAR LIKE THOSE IN IRAQ., SO MAYBE OUR BORDERS ARE UPSETTING AT TIMES, HOWEVER WE CAN STILL LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE WERE NOT LIVING IN CONSTANT FEAR, WHICH CANADA ALSO ENJOYS THEIR FREEDOM.

1 THING YOU HAVE TO ADMIT...R.D., LIVING HERE IS EARTHLY PARADISE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

If you look that up, I would be interested in seeing the data. Just from talking to local people the lines are really down. On another note they tend to pull over and inspect the shady looking type of people. LOL. On a serious note, I had a buddy come up from the twin cities, many years ago, and we took his car across to go golfing. Big mistake, his car was one of those low riders you see gangs drive around in down there. They completely ripped it apart and said have a nice day and walked away. But if I was in their position I probably had done the same thing. But in your case on a fishing trip and a enclosed trailer, sometimes that happens to good citizens also. Look at the big drug bust last year that was in a enclosed trailer.

Ha! Yeah I've been thinking about doing away with my fishing visor! Surely I look like an outlaw with the Berkley or Lund visor. One of the obstacles facing economic growth is to come to grips with forces that are hindering advancement. I think a decline in visitors heading to Canada has immediate negative impacts on a gateway community. Lets say there is a 20% decline from last year this time? Well my assumption taking 20% off the top will be detrimental to many mom and pop shops. Maybe it's the gas prices finally catching up to travelers, maybe it's the mass confusion with an ever moving target as far as passports go, but maybe just maybe being treated as though your a criminal before proving yourself innocent may have soured vacationers taste for a little piece of solitude when crossing the border. After all in the Ole USA I thought we are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Why aren't we asking the visitors how there experience was at the border? Hmnnn! I'm not saying you don't do a dilligent job by any means, but treating people with respect should be the norm, and not applauded in my mind I guess. Just seems common sense to me, but I guess I look at it from a business standpoint, and clearly there is another side of this dilemna. Look at what is happening to the airline industry. It is a mess, and people fly because they have to not because they want to anymore. Could that happen to our border here? I hope not! Truth of the matter is we have lost a lot of freedom from those attacks. We will be monitored, searched, questioned, and seemingly not trusted as we are truly at a loss and desperately reeling trying to stop future cowardly yet brutal attacks. Maybe I've been to harsh on the men and women at the borders we've entrusted to protect us, but the next time we shake down a family from down south coming to experience the Northwoods smile and say have a great day afterwards. I'm pretty sure there are a few area business's that wouldn't mind if they came back. Truth of the matter is very very very very seldom do you catch the bad guys in conventional methods like a series of questions at the border. I would have to assume 99.999% of the time you are dealing with good law abiding families probably on a little R & R heading up north. I plan on getting the numbers on border crossings in comparison to previous years if it is available to the average joe. Good Fishing

RD

RD

Let me chime in on the border patrol stuff. For about 20 years we have been coming up in august for the BIG trip. Thankfully we have never been fully searched going or coming. 6 geeks from oklahoma is pretty obvious we are not Al=Queda. Sometimes we are in a church van. Only twice have we dealt with a border agent with a pleseant attitude. Most of the time they are very matter of fact - with a touch of the DMV. Most of the time they are pretty slow. Last year we had the nicest gal as we came back in to the U.S. Wish they could all be like her. The border experience will have an effect on your tourist market. As it gets harder to prove you're who you say you are, people will not bother with it. I haven't flown in 3 years due to the hassle. You have a great product to market, I hope you can get everyone including uncle sam and the mounties to work together.

Someone needs to put up a big sign on HWY 53 that says something like "If you vacation in International falls you don't need to put up with long lines and interrogations by border agents and the fishing is fantastic". Ok I admit that's probably not the best slogan but the chamber of commerce needs to push our side of the lake harder.

BTW I heard that Island View has been sold. Is there any truth to that and if so what's the plan? The area really can't afford to loose resorts.