Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wmn luv me walleye fearme

kab and boat parking

8 posts in this topic

thinking about heading up to kab mid sept to do some camping. i have a 16 foot lund explorer with a 50 horse, i was planning on taking out. Hoping it wont be as crowded that time of year as the kids will be back in school. would i have a problem getting my boat beached on most of the campsites and getting it secured?

thanks

You should have no problem at all. Most sites have either a sandy spot to pull onshore or if the shoreline is rock they have very nice docks built. About the only one i can think of that has neither (on west Nam and east Kab) is Johnson island. As of last year the area to tie up a boat was rubbley rock mostly. I've got a 17' lund/90hp and have never had a problem in the 40+ camping trips I've made up there.

perfect, thanks for the info, is mid september usually a pretty good time to go? Would be my first trip there, usually go to the boundary waters but figured we would try something different

We've been fishing Kab in Sept almost every year for more than 10 years. Always at a resort - never camping. Weather is always a factor, but fishing is generally very good. The fish patterns will begin to change as the lake turns over, and September fishing can produce some of the biggest crappies you've ever seen. It can get down right cold, and rain on top of that can make things challenging. But the fall colors are magnificent and the amount of boat traffic / angling pressure on the lake is down significantly from the summer peek. The past 4 years, we've also worked in a 3 or 4 day weekend fishing trip in October. Kab is a beautiful place in the fall.

Jill, We're on our way up on 6/16. Sara will be with us, and hopefully no trips to the emergency room will be necessary :-0

Enjoy

d_and_b

d-b,

We have a 1st Responder in the family now...just give him a call and he'll try to remeber to wash his hands!

Maybe I'll see ya this week....ya like the web site????

LIS

Walleye fear me,

You should call the park or go online www.nps.gov/voya and get a Park camping map. It not only shows where all the sites are but also tells you what kind of access there is dock/sand. You will have fun, September is a great time of year to be here.

-duckster

Thanks a lot for the info, Normally do the boundary waters/ canoe thing but figured would try something different, Was looking at the camp site map as well. One more question is is it worth it to maybe use a resort and pay to launch out of there (to try and get a fishing report, maybe ask them for a campsite they'd recomend etc. if so any recomendations? Or am i better off just using the public launch

thanks again

Fear-me,

There are several public landings on Kab. For fall fishing/camping I would recommend going in at the Ash River Visitor Center boat ramp. There is a nice ramp and three big parking lots. This area of Kab is fairly narrow so if those fall winds come up you can still get in and out. Also, the fall fishing on Kab is good on the east end of kab/west Namakan area. Lastly, there are plenty of campsites in the east Kab/west Namakan area for you to choose from. I would suggest for you to get a good lake map or chip for your GPS to help you get around. Have fun and good luck.

-duckster