Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iffwalleyes

Marine Band Radio Question

9 posts in this topic

I just installed a marine band radio in my boat but this weekend at LOW it would not work right. When I would key the mic it would just flash the channel and the TX light wouldn't light up so I could not transmit. But I also couldn't receive anything either. So where do I start trouble shooting. Would it most likly be the antenna I guess that is my though or is the radio bad. I should mention it wasn't a new unit it was used?

Try one of the weather channels and see if it recieves on one of those. Next check or replace the PL259 connector on the antenna. Easiest way to test your antenna is to try it on a radio thats know to work. Same is true for testing the radio, try it on an antenna that works.

No TX light. Even if the antenna was bad you should get the light, unless you were on a channel you can't transmit on? If you don't have the manual you can download one.

Transmitting takes more power then receiving, if the battery isn't up to snuff that can be a problem.

Quote:

When I would key the mic it would just flash the channel and the TX light wouldn't light up so I could not transmit. But I also couldn't receive anything either

Was this on all channels or just a specific channel or two? Some channels you can not transmit on. Also, you said it was an older radio. I fish Mille Lacs with guys that like using a channel in the 80's - 81 maybe, I don't remmber for sure - anyway, newer radios can transmit and receive on that channel, older radios can't.

I have a SWR radio test meter, it's from Shakespeare, it tests the transmit power of the radio and it tests the interference or feedback between the radio and the antenna. If you can track down something like that to borrow or buy it will go a long way to narrowing down your problem.

Also, make sure you don't key the mic when it is not connected to an antenna, that will likely blow the transmitter.

Good luck getting it nailed down.

That brings up another question? Should all the weather channels work at all times or will some of them work only in certain areas? I have a hard time testing everything as I typical am not on waters where they use radios. Should I still be able to get a weather channel though if I am in an area that doesn't have much for radio traffic?

You should get at least one weather channel.

Got point on keying the mic without or with a bad antenna.

Like S.T. said, you should get atleast one weather station. Not sure how your radio displays, I see some have frequencys and some just channels, some owners manuals will tell you what station picks up which frequency as far as weather stations go.

ND Stations

MN Stations

Hey, look at that.......

NOAA Weather Broadcasts

Channel & Frequency

1 162.550

2 162.400

3 162.475

4 162.425

5 162.450

6 162.500

7 162.525

Can a GPS puck interfere with a marine radio atenna or vice versa? I am about to install a GPS in my boat and want to put the puck next to the other antenna. I would hate to drill holes then find out I need to separate them.

They probably won't interfere, but you never know for sure until you try. Good rule of thumb is keeping them 3 feet apart, or as far apart as possible if under 3 feet.