Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HuntFishDude

Fishfinder Fish ID option...Using it?

2 posts in this topic

So most of the advice I see written about fish finders say to not use the fish ID feature. As a newbie, I have a real hard time reading the screen with it off, and I have tried changing the sensitivity but still have trouble seeing the "arcs". I was wondering on the reasoning of not using the Fish ID feature and what everyone else does? I have a lowrance LCX-15 MT GPS combo unit...

With fish id on, the graph will show a fish no matter what is sees. It could be fish, a leaf in the water, over-hanging weeds, other junk floating in the water, etc. At times it can be over whelming. With it off, you may see arcs or parts of arcs. To see an fish arc, either you or the fish need to be moving and the fish needs to pass through the center portion of the cone of the transducer signal. If it passes towards the edge of the cone you get partial arcs. If the fish and bottom are moving at the same speed or moving very slowly in the same direction you'll see lines. Go to Lowrance's website and look at the sonar turorial. The tutorials are under one of the pull down menus. Most people run their LCDs with fish id turned off and in the automatic mode. Some run in the manual mode to really fine tune the settings.