• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went out to Lard Lake tonight,not knowing where to start we

pushed off from the bog and nailed a 10 pike to start then a few hammerhandles. They were hanging out in the cabbage.Getting tired of snot rockets we pushed to deeper water off of the cabbage line & smacked an eye immeadiatly.

Sorta big but not too to take for chubbin.

I put the motor in gear and we doubled up almost as soon as our baits hit the water.

I'd say we saw over 20 eyes with the largest at 26".

We fought to find some eaters.Ended keeping 3 is all ,but the ones we tossed sure were healthy fish.

The pressure was down so we figured the action would be hot & heavey & it was.

I hope we can get back there soon.

As we left we both said ado to Lard Lake.

THERE IS NO LARD LAKE,but it's the kind of report being asked for by a few .

How worthless.So much so that noone reponded.

Just making my point on why videos,pics and real time 1st hand knowledge is what's needed.

did ok on the pannies this week. but where is the question grin.gif

CK, you must have fished whispering and red. shocked.gif

Some people (actually, alot, to be quite frank with you) don't appreciate any additional traffic and pressure on their small get-away lakes where they pay taxes on shoreline property and go to "get away" from it all.

You live in Palisade, so I suppose when one lake takes a (Contact Us Please) you just go to the next one, but for the family with the boat on a lift, they really don't want to encounter extra pressure because Keith went on a forum and boasted about the extravigant catch he had last Wednesday.

Do you appreciate the motivation behind these statements, or are you really THAT passionate about helping so many people, many of whom you don't know, never will meet, and will never thank you?

Good for you.

Post about patterns, lures, bait, presentation, water temps, depth, time of day, the most effective sunscreen, or even the county you fish in.

But please, stop naming lakes that are already fragile without the additional attention.

100 people will respond to this saying "NO KEITH, KEEP IT COMING" and you'll talk of leaving this site because you feel unappreciated and picked on.

But I am almost certain that out of those 100 people that wish you to name names, none of them have any vested interest in any of the lakes you have named thus far, other then a couple hot trips to T.H.E. Spot.

Think about this Keith, sincerely consider this, please.

I appreciate your contributions, advice, ideas, and photos of truly beautiful catches, and the "traffic" you bring to these forums.

But I don't appreciate seeing the names of small lakes mentioned with a photo of a trophy fish.

A picture is worth 1,000 words. Only thing is, you're not controlling the interpretation of what others read about your photo with the lone exception that shouts "This fish came from Lake X"

You maybe genuinely generous with your resources, as I am sure others are greatful to receive.

But not everyone cares to pass out a free pass key to their "resource" to uncountable numbers of the population and increase vulnerability to overharvest.

I can appreciate where you are coming from.Not that I'll agree.

I also know I'll never see most of those I'm helping out yet I do not have too.I see there responces and I get their email thanking me.

Those I do meet turns into something really fun.

as to hurting a lake..... I have witnessed several weekenders go to & from their cabin taking limits.

It seems to me that this kind of pressure taking all of those breeder during the spawn is what is killing these small lakes.

I toss most of the fish back.

I think I kept maybe 3 limits out of the thousands I saw in that 4 week period.

Your opinion is that an opinion.

I started Lard lake thread as a joke sorta & I'm thinking I'll just make all of my posts in the Lard Lake section,then no one can complain about exposing a lake.

They are already exposed,have been for years.It was not me ,but if you want to point a finger well I guess that is your prerogative.

Now for all of the other folks wanting exact info they can thank you for that info being on the QT,hush-hush.

I could give reports late too if that would help.

thanks for your advice & outlook on the matter.

as to leaving.I'm done with that,my skin has grown a lot thicker in the past few months.

I guess if FM wants to ask me to leave I would,but your post as nice as it was will not raise my dander.

It's not worth it.

Time to go fishing ,Lard is really hitting now with 15" gills.Sorry no pics!

Oh 1 other thing,I saw you asking Corey Bechtold about Sherburn Co.info.

Seems like an oxymoron to me.As long as your into fish what else matters EH!

Once again, you've my support, CK. Lots of lakes out there - let's believe the changing attitude of today's fisherman lead us all to utilize catch and release philosophy. Now and again the act of keeping fish should be respected by all - attitudes of proprietership will go on forever. Kind of like the mafia - no see, no tell - what fish? Yeah, right...in any case, thanks for your input.

Keith, its not about how many fish KEITH throws back into the lake.

It's not about how many fish the cabin owner throws in the bucket.

It's not about your dander staying flat in the midst of my "nice as it was" post.

It's not about the .01% of people that email you and thank you for your help.

It's not about Corey Bechtold and Sherburne County.

It's really about EVERYONE. It's EVERYONE's duty and demanded diligence to protect what WE term as OUR resources.

I see the light now Keith.

I shall blame other sources for the demise of certain lakes.

Well, actually, I wasn't blaming anyone in particular. You said I was, that's your opinion, not that I will agree.

I was simply stating that perhaps, since it is EVERYONE's responsibility to help protect our resources, that maybe you, leather hide and all, could not reveal names of small, seemingly fragile bodies of water, to 1,000's of people to gain that oh so warm fuzzy feeling when 1 person emails you with their gratitude.

My point is lost now in all this tanning oil.

The cabin owner is ruining the lake for us enough as it is (your own statement, Keith). Do they really need our help?

Quote:

as to hurting a lake..... I have witnessed several weekenders go to & from their cabin taking limits.

In what period of time? If you are implying some poach-mannered activity, please call TIP.

And did you take a picture? Perhaps post it here to better illustrate the emphasis on how well the fish are really biting there?

Quote:

I could give reports late too if that would help.

Yes, Keith, preferably after 10pm.

Quote:

Oh 1 other thing,I saw you asking Corey Bechtold about Sherburn Co.info.

Seems like an oxymoron to me.

Yes and No, Keith.

I am, in fact, a (Shame on You). But I really know little about Oxy.

Quote:

but your post as nice as it was will not raise my dander.

It's not worth it.

Was that sarcastic? Please be specific and literal.

Quote:

I think I kept maybe 3 limits out of the thousands I saw in that 4 week period.

Clarify. You caught 1,000's of limits? Or you saw what appeared to be 1,000's of limits on your locator? Or you witnessed others catching 1,000's of limits?

I am confused.

Settle down, brother. It is what it is - public water. He doesn't tell you what to say - why do you tell him what to say?

Settled here.

I didn't tell him what to say. I didn't even tell him what not to say.

Actually, I asked if he could have a little more discretion and consideration when naming small bodies of water.

It is a small world, Keith, 83 walleye, knoppers, united jigsticker, crappie todd...

You guys are all tied into eachother through the Palisade area lakes.

But only one of you names lakes.

Keith, you must owe some debt of character exhaberation to FM as they have thickened your skin and matured your demeanor in a couple months time, if only not clouded by the fact that you have at least 30 years or more experience on this earth that couldn't obsolve you from minor debates and insignificant ganda.

Your so funny,I just love it when a guy pulls my leg!!!

You forget yourself as to what this site is all about.

Talk fishing,share techniques and share or current conditions.

Should you have your way we would only talk about BS or ML.

Every other lake is small & if your ideals were to be held as the rule then FM should reduce itself by 90%.

I will continue to be a fresh source of info.

You can please most of the people most of the time ,but you can never please everyone all of the time.

It's too bad your ideals key you into educating me.

Like I asked for it.

I have brought this thread to the mods as I will not tolerate your indignance & right wing protectionism.

I am ignorant for asking you to appreciate my points about protecting fragile resources.

If you are a hero for naming lakes, what does that make everyone else that simply says "I had a good bite for Crappies today in 12 feet of water near Aitkin on a white jig, water temp was 68 and they seemed to do best when the clouds covered the sun a bit. Some of the bigger ones were suspended just above the main school."

That info is worthless without a lake name, right Keith?

I heard the fishing is really good on Rat Lake right now, or was it Rock Lake. Either way they're both great lakes.

Oh, please Keith don't stop posting. Please, please, please be as specific as possible about not only what lake but exact spots; GPS coordinates would be helpful I should think. Also, exact times of day, lures or bait, depth and presentation would be great. Because you see, I'm really too effing stupid to figure any of this out on my own and I don't give two sh**s about the resource. I promise I'll post back and stroke your ego and tell you how great you are. Thanks in advance.

I was thinking on that since I last posted.Being on the water catching dinner helps me out a lot to have piece & mull issues over

If it was not for a few rockies I'd be skunked.Looks like pizza night tomorrow.

You know all lakes turn on at different times. To say ok this or that is happening is fruitless info too the guy that has his 1&1/2 days to come up & try to get into some good action without knowing the lake.

I believe in helping those out that want to know.The info I'll give is as accurate as can be.

Now what about all of the "lurkers".

Some may not be fishermen & women.They may be super novices,which is why they stay quite & do not post. For fear of saying something that some here will make a point of showing them how wrong they are or whatever. Now if I can get that guy to buy a license and try this fishing thing out & in turn he takes his son & or daughter out because I'm showing him how,why & where then I've done a really good thing .

Now the DNR can stock lakes because of the $$ generated.

It's not from just license sales ,but the gear a guy will buy which is also taxed.

Then the businesses up here see those folks buy gas,pop,munchies ,whatever.

I do see your point,I'm not under educated.

I've also been paying attention to the amount of traffic these lakes I've been naming are getting.

I do not see anymore folks then before.

So what if an extra boat or two try their prowess on the water. They bought licenses too.

I do not want to make trouble ,however I will look to the bigger picture.

There are 368 lakes in Aitkin County.Some are private.If you want privacy ,go find your new cabin.Should you be on a lake with an access then there will be that element to deal with whether I name a lake or not.

Now you can banter or debate this until your blue in the face ,but your barking up the wrong tree.I'm so sorry you feel the way you do.

Had I not posted the way I have there's this guy that would not have caught this nice musky or there are a few children that would not have gotten into some good sunfish action.There so many stories I've recieved at how much this or that group enjoyed themselves ,because I let out some info that they in turn could use to have a good time.

I guess I can bear your sentiments as I look to the bigger picture.

Dang...Now I'm really confused...I did a lake search on the DNR website....nothing turned up on LARD LAKE....and I was just getting ready to bring the 12 kids up on the pontoon so we could really hit this lake and feed the family. My guess it is somewhere near "Clown Island Lake. I been there a couple of times, but never caught anything. The landing is real bad and the walk back to the lake takes too long. How deep is Lard? Any real deep spots? Do the carp in there bite on "dough balls"?

Quote:

what would you estimate that dog fish to weigh????

I know it was better than 8 ,but I do not think it went over 10.

A few more biskits and she could top 10.

It was funny when I look back at how I thought it to be an eye,no pike no eye ,sucker ,no eye,it's a doggy!

I posted this somewhere ,I forget.

The video of the dogeye!

th_Picture025-1.jpg

Doggone it now CK....you did it again, there will be crowds of people coming up to Aitkin County and trying to catch all of our dogfish (Bowfin).

Well then they'll have a chance at that fish cause it was released to get bigger.

I know some say kill them,but I never knew why.

Grease creek leading into Lard is high so the big bass are in there feeding on the frys.

Hit ole Lard tonight for a few hours.

The wind on the main lake was wicked so we ducked into this bay & there was nothing up close.

So I had marked some fish out in 15-20 FOW.Low & behold they were the bass we had been chasing with buzz baits.

Here's a few videos with my new Grandt Rod in action.

th_Picture055.jpg

th_Picture056.jpg

th_Picture057.jpg

I know I ended up with around 20 bass,nothing huge ,but some great action.

Here's the best one of the night.

th_Picture049.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rick & I went to our honey hole at 3.

We wager a buck for the biggest pike & a buck for the biggest bass.

We started banging hammer handles and small bass.

So Dude catches this 30 " pike and I new there were bigger pike there so I tried hard to catch one bigger,but to no avail.

Picture033.jpg

So now I tag this bass and it's 17" the biggest of the day.

Picture025.jpg

So now we are nutted up.It was getting close to sunset and we are seeing these panny swirls. Hey Dude ,how about the biggest pannie for the tie breaker.OK he says ,so we are working these pannies and for the most part they were tiny.

Jokingly I said the smallest right. Well I get this 8" gill.

Dang son I said looks like I'm gonna clip you. Sure as heck he gets a 8 &3/8ths gill. Now I get a near 9incher. Ya baby we are almost back to the access.

Well I cast out and catch this smaller crappie & Dude goes where did you get that? Then he casts where I was and snags this mule.

We never measured it ,but it sure as heck was a monster compared to all of the other pannies we had caught.

Picture026.jpg

The pike was worth a buck & so was that bass ,but to find one of these in here was a real treat. I learned something new about this lake & come winter & next spring I know where Dude & I will be fishing every once in awhile. Here's the 2 videos of that bass & pike.

We pulled out at dusk & I'll say it was a blast with who knows how many fish we reared on.

I'll also say that MT's post of that ring-n tube got me to thinking. I took a floating jig head & stuffed it into a ring-n grub and WHAMMO a bass nailed it as I pulled it across the pads.

It's got a chug-n action like a popper across the water. WaHOO a new trick for this ole dog.

The bass

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=Picture035.flv

th_Picture035.jpg

The pike

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/?action=view&current=Picture032.flv

th_Picture032.jpg

too bad I couldn't knock either one of with the net!

CK..

Crisco Lake has slowed down somewhat...bit of a drive but I may have to give Lard a go. wink.gif

Quote:

CK..

Crisco Lake has slowed down somewhat...bit of a drive but I may have to give Lard a go.
wink.gif

You really have to Exaggerate when fishing Crisco lake, cause well it's shortening.

This cold front has put a damper on fishing.

Nothing surfacing last night at all hardly.

After a few small hammer handles so we switched to top water and Rick got a nice payday with these 2 bass.

They sure did smash them at the waters surface.

Picture061.jpg

Picture064-1.jpg

dang those dogfish, they also have fooled me. they bite were the walleyes should. nice video keith.