• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crossbows - Yay or Nay During Archery Season, or........

chucker34

NAY for archery season YEA for rifle season.But I was also agin compound bows for archery back when they were gettin popular.

Quote:

Finally, will legions of gun hunters become crossbow hunters? Not likely from what's happened in other states. Rather, it will more likely be bowhunters that take them up as a new option.

I disagree with that statement on two counts. 1) You'll get a lot of gun hunters that really like to deer hunt, but are too lazy or don't have the time to devote to shooting a bow accurately that will look at a cross bow as an easy way out, if they're allowed to hunt during the archery season. Pick up a crossbow, shoot for an hour, and go sit in one of your gun stands. I see a lot of big deer stands sitting in the open that would be poor archery stands but with the longer range of crossbows, people could use them.

2) You wouldn't get many avid archers that would go from a compound to a crossbow, the normal evolution of archers is actually to go the opposite way, toward more traditional archery equipment, recurves and longbows. You'd only get some beginning or poor archery hunters that are again looking for the easy way out, longer range and less time spent on the range shooting.

I did a search on 'crossbows in Ohio' and came up with this from the Michigan Traditional Bowhutners. Wish I could just post a link, its kind of long, but you pro crossgun guys make sure you read it.

--------------------------

MTB Opposes the use of Crossbows in Archery Hunting Seasons

With increasing frequency, people are asking why MTB opposes the use of crossbows during Michigan's archery hunting seasons. Here are just a few reasons why:

Bowhunting was meant to be a challenging sport. By design, hunting with a traditional or compound bow requires a level of dedication from its participants that far surpasses the difficulty found in becoming familiar with and hunting with a crossbow. Regrettably, there are those who are not willing to put forth the time and effort to learn to shoot traditional or even compound archery equipment adequately enough to hunt with them during archery only hunting seasons. The crossbow provides the quick answer for the person who lacks the dedication and commitment required to become proficient with a conventional bow and arrow.

MTB is no more against crossbows than they are against rifles and shotguns as legitimate hunting weapons. What MTB does favor however is the use of archery equipment in Michigan's archery hunting seasons. It should also be pointed out that MTB is NOT opposed to the use of crossbows in Michigan's archery hunting seasons by those who have the legitimate right to use one and have qualified for the permit to do so. It was archery hunters who helped write and continue to support the current legislation that allows for any legitimately disabled person to participate in the Michigan's archery hunting seasons with a crossbow.

The crossbow is not a bow and arrow and there is nothing primitive or short range about it. The crossbow is cocked, breech loaded, the stock is shouldered, the fore stock is held, safety clicked off and the trigger is pulled. Crossbows possess deadly accuracy with no movement, other than a trigger finger required - much unlike a conventional bow which must be hand drawn and held at full draw, without the aid of any mechanical device. Currently, crossbow enthusiasts in Michigan can hunt during the firearm season - a season well suited for a cocked, breech loaded, stock shouldered, triggered weapon.

When asked what the difference is between a crossbow and a conventional bow, I refer to a report by Norb Mullany a professional engineer who is recognized as the leading authority on the physics of bows and arrows. Anyone who has picked up an archery magazine throughout the years and read Norb's performance reports on archery equipment knows why he's very respected in his field. Mr. Mullany states, "The hand held bow has one characteristic that distinguishes it from a crossbow or any type of firearm. The internal ballistics are a function of the shooter, his or her physical geometry and capabilities, shooting form, consistency and reaction to stress and trauma. In the crossbow and firearms, the internal ballistics are fixed. The action of the shooter in triggering a release of energy does nothing more than initiate a process that is consistent and repetitive. The hand held bow is different. Every action of the shooter contributes something either positive or negative to the interior ballistic process. As the interior ballistics vary, so do the exterior ballistics. Shooting the hand held bow and arrow is much more complicated than aiming a fixed system of ballistics and touching off the energy discharge. The total energy to draw, hold and release the bow must come directly and unassisted from the shooters muscle power".

Those who chose to hunt with a bow and arrow have a unique set of disciplines, challenges and responsibilities and Michigan's archery hunting seasons were developed recognizing these unique challenges. The difficulty in mastering these challenges and responsibilities has kept the numbers of archery hunters at manageable levels that have a limited impact upon the resources. Our archery seasons are lengthy and our bag limits are liberal because archery season is about hunting with a weapon that has a very limited impact on a very precious resource.

Crossbow proponents claim to be the ally of women, children and the elderly using the presumption that somehow, some have been left behind in Michigan's archery hunting seasons because they haven't been allowed the use of a crossbow. This is preposterous at best and an insult to any child, woman or senior citizen. Anyone, without exception, who is interested and willing to learn to shoot a bow and arrow has been able to participate, especially with the advent of the compound bow.

Often crossbow proponents want to equate Ohio, where crossbows are legal for use during the archery hunting seasons, to Michigan. But the two states simply cannot be compared. Ohio does not, nor will it ever compare to Michigan. In Ohio only 4% of all land is public, while approximately 22% of all land in Michigan is public. Today, approximately 56% of those who hunt during the archery season in Ohio use crossbows and since the inclusion of crossbows in Ohio's archery deer season, harvest numbers have risen significantly. Ohio has a limit of one antlered deer per year and a firearms season that ranges from 2 to 6 days. Would that be something the 750,000 firearm hunters in MI appreciate? What about our lengthy archery season here in MI? How long would that last if eventually 56% of the 375,000 archery hunters in MI began using a crossbow?

Crossbow proponents also know that the real money to be made is not going to come from their inclusion in Michigan's firearm deer season. Firearm deer hunters are not going to put down their rifles and pick up a crossbow during firearm season - it's not logical. Crossbow proponents and manufacturers know that the real money to be made is when they gain access to archery seasons.

For those who insist that crossbows are no different than modern day compound bows, why do they insist on pushing for crossbow use during the archery hunting seasons? If that is the case, then why don't they simply choose to use a compound bow if a crossbow is no different than a compound bow? The answer is obvious …

Bowhunting is a fun, challenging, and rewarding sport. For many of us, it is more than just a sport; it is a way of life. Archery-only hunting seasons are not discriminatory. They are open to anyone willing to accept the challenge. The saddest part of this whole issue is that crossbow proponents cannot get past the idea of the kill itself. Their sole desire is for the quickest and easiest kill - with the least amount of time and preparation required. That's not archery - that's not what bowhunting in MI is all about. The crossbow is not a bow and arrow - it's a gun - and it is not at all primitive in the impact it will have on Michigan deer hunting. The sport of bowhunting is difficult, but that's the path we chose because we choose to overcome these difficulties by means of skill, preparation and persistence. Not by devices and shortcuts.

I think the number of gun hunters taking up the xbow would be fairly minimal for the range reason. The 5-10 yard advantage max in most situations it gives you over a bow wouldn't translate to making a box stand in an open field more advantageous in my opinon.

Many archers in states like Ohio moved to cross bows and back and forth. The license numbers in Ohio and other states back these trends up.

I don't think a cross bow hunter who practices once a week is any lazier than a bow hunter who practices once a week. I don't like that L word in general when applying to any hunters that aren't breaking the law or doing something blatantly unethical. Case in point. Many hunters consider baiting bear to be plain lazy, unethical and even downright wrong. But I disagree and don't want to knock someone who's abiding by the law, hunting ethically, and promoting the sport.

Conversely, some gun hunters might think we're not the smartest cookes for wanting to bowhunt when we could just go out during the gun season and plus a few deer. A waste of time and resources they'd argue.

And I also don't think taking up a crossbow means you are a poor shot. Any less so that saying, "Oh, you're using a compound. Must be a poor shot with a recurve."

Interesting article Blackjack, but its written by someone who's against crossbow hunting and I could provide you with other articles that argue the opposite. No one ever claimed the crossbow was the same as a bow. But it is not the same as a gun. Perhaps the compromise is its own season until further education sets in.

Quote:

I think the number of gun hunters taking up the xbow would be fairly minimal for the range reason.

I think the main reason that gun hunters would pick up a crossbow would be the fact that they could get out deer hunting during the archery season. Range wouldn't deter them. They like to deer hunt and with mimimal effort could pick up a 'crossgun' and go hunting. Versus having to spend hours and days perfecting your shot with a compound. And I think the numbers would be significant just because of that desire to deer hunt with a mimimal effort required to learn the new weapon.

You could be right and a number of gun hunters my take up a crossbow initially. But I think the other thing that would deter them is that they would realize the time and the environment in which they would be hunting would be much different than gun season. Without the rut, or the closeness to it, and the abscence of intense pressure by woods and fields full of orange, the deer would be moving a heck of a lot less. Mornings or afternoons seeing a handful of deer, one of which may come into range and be a shooter would be vastly different than the experience they're used to.

I am a nay on xbows during the archery season. However, I would support a season for xbows or using them during the rifle (as is in place now) or the BP season. Just my opinion!

I'm against crossbows in the bow season. In my book the hardest thing about taking deer with a bow is getting the bow drawn back in close proximity to a wary big game animal. The second hardest part is being able to hold the bow long enough to take an accurate shot when it presents itself. A crossbow has neither of these problems and would present an unfair advantage for the lengthy archery season.

I'm all for handicapped or elderly folks using a crossbow, but I don't think able bodied folks should be able to use them except for the gun season.