• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nisswa Guides Report-Early June

The pre-summer bite is on big time. The walleyes are on the chomp here in the Nisswa area. The fishing has been outstanding the last few days. The best reports are coming from Gull, Mille Lacs, North Long, and Round Lakes. Our fishing guides had some awesome trips on Gull and Mille Lacs over the weekend. They caught numerous walleyes in the 15-28 inch range. It was a blast. The walleyes have been biting on Lindy Rigs tipped with a lively redtail chub or a leech. Spinners have also been working well. That has been our one-two punch on Mille Lacs. Run through the spot with a Northland Rainbow spinner then we turn around and go through them again with the Live bait rig. It works great especially on the big ones. When the fish wouldn't bite on live bait we found them active up in the weeds. Trolling Rapalas over the weeds really got those fish to go. The night has been very consistent too, using the same methods. North Long is producing a nice jigging bite for anglers using a Northland Fireball jig tipped with a shiner minnow. These North Long fish are chunky 17-22 inchers. Look for them tight to the weed edges. The pike and bass have been active on most lakes. Look for them on the weed flats from 4-12 feet deep. Spinnerbaits are producing some nice action. The panfish are still feeding up. The sunnies are up in the shallows still and are gobbling up small leeches, while the crappies are stacking up along the first weedline in 8-12 feet of water. Try trolling a small Thumper jig tipped with a minnow. It is a great search lure until you locate them. If you want to get into this great bite please give us a call, our guides still have a few open seats. Take care and good luck this week. Keep checking our web site for pictures of our recent trips I'll be adding more all week, www.sportlandbait.com.

Jason Erlandson

Jason sounds like things are pretty good right now. I am bringing up some customers for a few days and doing some fishing on mille lacs so I will see you on thursday for some licenses and info.

It's been going pretty good. We had couple of guides out on Round and Gull yesterday they reported that the bite was a little bit off. They found some nice sized schools of fish but the walleyes were a little tight lipped. Sounds like they each boated about a dozen and kept 4-5. I was over on Mille Lacs. It was a great day out there. The Northland spinners were doing their magic. It's a little windy today so I think it'll be a good day to clean the boat up.

Jason Erlandson

Jason, any updates with regard to the walleye bite? Pattern is changing.... I was out Friday and got blown off Gull.... Out for a couple of hours on Saturday and could not find fish where I had been doing ok... Hope to get out several time this week.... What are your thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks for your great updates..... Joel

This week we saw a few changes out on Gull. I think that the walleyes are in a transitional stage. Many of the spots that we were finding groups of nice fish are now vacant or are full of the little guys. I know that we have had to alter our tactics to get back on some of the nicer fish. Trolling shallow weed flats have produced some quality catches when all else fails. I think that many of the nicer fish have started cruising up inside the weeds rather than hang on the edges. It makes it a little tougher to contact them. Spinners are another good tactic that goes under-utilized because of some of the other nuisance fish. I think that some groups of fish will also start showing up on the mid-lake structure. Maybe not in big numbers yet but some will start moving off the shorelines.

Jason Erlandson

Thanks alot Jason.... What type of spinners do you recommend? I agree that the lake is in a transition period.... Weeds are really growing fast and the water is warming up very fast...

I may try the inside of the weed edges after dark a night or two this week.. Shallow running crank baits may work well. Last year at this time I caught and released a few big females doing this also some nice eating size fish...

Will let you know how I do.

Joel

My favorite spinners are Northland's Holographics. They are so realistic, it is amazing. I use a couple of different set ups. I like a single hooked spinner with a small redtail or a fathead. With nightcrawlers I always use a double hook spinner rig. My best colors stay the same for most of the year, gold or silver. Lately I have been using a holograhic perch pattern with great success. I think the white and green really mimic the young perch that the walleyes are now eating. Another trick that I learned along the way is to add a small red bead in front of the spinner blade. It gives the fish a more defined target and decreases the amount of short strikes.

Jason Erlandson

Terrific Jason.... The next time I am in your shop I will pick up a few.. I also like the perch color this time of the year...

Are you fishing the spinners with a slip sinker or with no weight?

Again thanks for the help...... Joel

today should be a really good day with the clouds and wind.....

How's the weather looking for this weekend up in the Brainerd area, got Friday off for once and heading up to the buddies cabin to do some fishing.

Should be a good one... Mid to upper 80's with a small chance of storms.... Summer is here... I hope the weather man is correct. I hope you enjoy..

Joel

The Camp Confidence fishing tournament is this Saturday on Gull Lake and their will be about 100 extra boats out there cruzing around. FYI if you like to fish alone!

I always fish spinners with a slip sinker or bottom bouncer.

Jason Erlandson