• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

50 hp 4 stroke fuel problem

harvey lee

Question

On my new boat I have a problem with air getting in my fuel supply I believe. Since new this spring, at full throttle it will go along just fine and then loose speed and power. if I go back and pump up the primer bilb it picks right back up. I took it to the dealer and they thought it was the o-ring in the connector. That didnt do it. If I am having a problem, then I can release the connector from the motor and re connect and its fine again but just doesnt seem to have the full power. I have taken off the motor cover and checked all the fuel lines with the primer bulb pumped up very hard and see no leak in any line and the pressure holds.

I'm going back to the dealer tommorrow and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Maybe the fuel pump or what?

One other thing, the first time it leaked and didnt run right it leaked by the furl line connector to the motor. They put a new o-ring in the connector and that stopped the fuel leak by that area.

5 answers to this question

I had a 35 Johnson that acted this way. It turns out the fuel line connecter at the fuel tank was leaking, just a tad, but enough to allow it to suck air.

I had a 2000 40hp merc 2 stroke, same thing, I brought it to the dealer several times, after a new tank, hose, I told them that it needed a fuel pump, they put it in and it fixed my problem.

Harveylee,

If I was in Vegas, I would bet fuel pump. First off, because of leak found already. The chances they missed another leak are slim (but still there). Second, air going through fuel pump could weeken/over heat fuel pump. It would be intresting to hear what dealer finds.

Here's the fix. The fuel line coming from the tank to the connector that clips to the motor was loose. They crimp it and it appears that it was crimped to tight and it lifted inbetween two crimps and it leaked a little air at high speed. The put a gear clamp on that and also put the right prop on the boat. It came with a prop for a bigger motor by mistake. Now, I have 800 more rpm's, goes 7 mph faster and planes out very nice and doesnt hesitate any more.

Today i found out the real problem, fuel pump. There were numerous issues but the final fix is the fuel pump.