• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boating violations

Be up to date on all of your boat equipment in Ramsey county lakes the Deputys will write you a ticket for any violation with no explanation and cut you zero slack.I guess they to pay for that nice boat they drive around in.

I have seen some DNR driving around in some VERY nice boats...sometimes even ski boats. I wonder if some of them are boats that were impounded and never claimed.....or the good ol' drug dealer estate sale....I know there are some cop cars that came from that type of situation. IE State Trooper Corvette and Grand Cherokee Limited...

We also dont know what type of deal or pricing the boat company gave to the state. They also give pricing for the police.

We all need to make sure that we have all our safety equipment in our boats for our protection at all times. I know there are some laws that I personally may not agree with but, I do know that if I follow all of them, I wont have any issues with anyone.

We had a few CO's approach us on Mille Lacs last week in a very large Tyee with a I/O and a 15HP kicker. After the license check we were a little curiuos about the boat. They told us it was seized in a over limit case. With all these (Contact Us Please) out there that think they can take as many fish as they like, we will be seeing CO's all driving very nice boats. It is an awesome idea. Most people in the past were willing to risk it and maybe pay a few hundred dollar fine. Now they have to think, Do I want my $20,000 boat or do I want an extra 30 walleye fillets.

Quote:

...the Deputys will write you a ticket for any violation with no explanation and cut you zero slack.I guess they to pay for that nice boat they drive around in.

Now thats not very nice. There are pretty cut and dried requirements for what you need in your boat. I don't think its too much to ask for a guy to copy a list of items and put it in your boat. You might spend $100 putting together all the required items the first time in a boat you most likely costs over $1000. You wouldn't leave home without any of your fishing gear so why would you go boating without boating gear. Seems silly to me.

There's no super double top secret list of required items that you need to know a secret password to find. Get the regs and its in there. Put together your kit and you're done. Probably a lot cheaper than your fine. That way you can blame the deputies for keeping you safe or chasing down bad guys.

Harvey and the others are right about the boats. Most of the CO's drive pretty bare bones govt issue trucks and gear. The really nice boats, sleds and 4wheelers come from seizures. There's enough (Contact Us Please) and poachers out there to keep out state officers in nice gear.

Sure would be awesome to have a CO driving a boat around with a sign that says, "purchased" by poachers not taxpayers.

Quote:

Sure would be awesome to have a CO driving a boat around with a sign that says, "purchased" by poachers not taxpayers.

That would be a good "public service message" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

A little off this subject but still violations area...

Saw a guy in a canoe today with one line in bobber fishing while casting another rod....does the no two line deal not affect people in canoes?

I would say that is two lines and a ticket if the CO saw him.

My guilt wasnt one of neglect but one of an honest mistake.Deputies could be somewhat understanding and just ask one to leave the lake and get my forgotten PFD.Instead honest Joes and Jane that are not purposely breaking the Law get to pay.

( Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank-You.)

I realize that you may have honestly forgotten your PFD. How is the Deputy or CO suppose to know that one just forgot it. I'm sure they here those same stories a hundred times a week.

One needs to have all required equipment in the boat before it is launched into the lake to be legal.

Sometimes we all make mistakes. SOmetimes you have to pay. If everyone who forgot it and pleaded with the officer got a warning then no one would take it seriously. All the PFD's needed for the boat are stored under a seat. Usually get some cheapies you don't mind stashing. Then bring out your normal one you would wear while fishing, the one that fits you best, and then you're never without.

Boy, I'm 34 and have yet to ever be stopped by an officer. I would kind of like it so I can show them my license for once. By the way if they are getting these boats from seizures etc.,. are there not cheaper boats available to dminish the perception of the DNR wasting money on fancy "Walleye Boats". I see the guy on leech runs a 20 foot warrior with all the bells and whistles, would a 19' larson or glastron not do the same. Remember...it's still our (the taxpayers) MONEY!!!

Quote:

By the way if they are getting these boats from seizures etc.,. are there not cheaper boats available to dminish the perception of the DNR wasting money on fancy "Walleye Boats". I see the guy on leech runs a 20 foot warrior with all the bells and whistles, would a 19' larson or glastron not do the same. Remember...it's still our (the taxpayers) MONEY!!!

What is your problem with them using expenzive boats that were seized? Why shouldn't they use the biggest and best boats they can get? Its not like they paid for them. After all I would like them to show off the big fancy boat they just seized, it will make those poachers think twice about what they are doing if they know the DNR could be using their boat next season. I don't think the DNR is worried about perception, as long as in reality they are using the money wisely. The opinion of some uninformed fisherman doesn't reall bother then too much.

I also don't understand you saying "Remember...it's still our (the taxpayers) MONEY!!!" It wouldn't cost us (the taxpayers) a dime if they seize a boat from a poacher and in turn started using it. Its cheaper for them to seize a $40,000 boat then to buy a $5,000 boat isn't it?

I must agree with NFF here. I remember the days with CO's had a small 14 foot boat with a 20 HP tiller on the back. The big boys just blew by them with the "catch me if you can attitude". They are also out on the bigger lakes(Mille Lacs, Leech, ect...) for saftey issues. I hope if you ever fall into freezing water, the CO is not driving a 14 footer with a 20HP tiller. confused.gif Also I am not sure if you are aware that a certain amout of money from seziures goes to the arresting agency. You also have to remember all the fishing and hunting equipment sezied is sold at auction. If they want to keep a boat or two to protect our resources and keep us safe out there, more power to them!

It is very true. There are rules about seizure vehicles and how they can be reused or if they must be sold. If the boat/truck/ATV etc is in good condition and can be reutilized, then it must be put to use performing the tasks that it was seized with. A boat seized in a drug bust usually cannot be used for checking anglers on the lake. In our police dept they seized a brand new Dodge pickup form a 19yr old kid. He got felony DWI. In order to keep and reuse the vehicle it needed to be used for DWI enforcement. Now we have an unmarked '06 Ram 1500 Hemi with all the police essentials.

Like I said before, I think it makes a bigger statement to the public if they are using seized vehicles in their daily operations. It costs the public less and it reminds us what can happen if you get busted doing something illegal.

Of course a 19' larson or glastron would do, but if you can get a better deal on a decked out warrior then why not get it? The city I work for gets great deals all the time because we need very little in the way of options. If a dealer needs to move a vehicle or piece of equipment and will give us a deal, we will take the new vehicle with more options if it costs less than the one we needed with fewer options. Also, a vehicle that has more options will have a higher resale value. The govt doesn't drive these things into the ground. They are on a replacement plan to minimize excessive repair costs. SO vehicles and equipment are resold at auctions and the money made goes back to help buy new gear.

This is what I got when I read FISHINPAPA’s post. High end boats are being targeted for violation because the DNR can seize them and reuse them to enforce violations. Would be interesting to see how many boats are auctioned in terms of high end –vs. - low end. Just want to make sure that the DNR is being fair to all anglers. Just my 2 cents.

I am sure that the DNR is not targeting anyone for thier boat. All people have to do is follow the rules. If you dont and get caught, I'm sure it is not the fault of noone but themselves.

One cannot blame the DNR for others not following the rules.

My .02 cents. Sell the boats...Use extra $$$ to fund underfunded DNR programs. A CO needs a kicker motor or a 40K boat? Come on people there is no way you are going to sell me that this deters poaching...and yes I am one of those people that shake my head in frustration when i see my tax dollars used in what i feel is wasteful manner. On the way to work tonight saw a Cadillac Escalade and did a double take when a saw it was some kind of sherrif's vehicle.... think we could maybe sell it and by two trailblazers or base model trucks instead

Quote:

I am sure that the DNR is not targeting anyone for thier boat. All people have to do is follow the rules. If you dont and get caught, I'm sure it is not the fault of noone but themselves.

One cannot blame the DNR for others not following the rules.

Right on Harvey. Doesn't matter if you forget you are speeding or forget you have no PDF, you can be just as dead if there is an accident. Get a speeding ticket or a ticket for no PFD, then I might think twice before heading out the next time. BTW - I have ticketed people in the past for boating violations, and also given warning tickets. I am not a peace officer, but was a volunteer at one time. My thought is that the officer should do what he/she thinks will do the best, and a ticket is not always the answer, a friendly warning can do the job, but if you are in violation, then you are in violation. I.e. I did not complain when I got a speeding ticket on the road, as I was speeding... paid fine and learned my lesson. THat's my lousy two cents, and worth every penny wink.gif

I also believe the DNR is not driving around looking for the finest equipment to pull over. Sounds like a few people on here don't care that they are out there protecting OUR resources. If the DNR were driving Geo Metro's pulling a 12 foot boat with a electric motor these guys would still be complainning that the Geo's to new. And there are a few people still talking about taxpayers money. NO taxpayer money was used for these boats, HELLO, they were seized. And would they even be available to auction and go to state funds if they were not caught by the CO's. These guys put in long hours in terrible conditions to catch these poachers. Let's give credit were credit is due!

I don't understand how several posts state that the DNR having nice boats is wasting taxpayer money!?!? I am struggling to see the logic here. Please explain.

To whoever left the post about marking the seized boats - GREAT IDEA! I would love to see 20 foot walleye boat with a 20hp kicker pull up with great big writing on the side that said - "LIKE MY BOAT? IT WAS SEIZED FROM POACHERS"

On a related note about DNR's equipment - 4 CO's rolled through the confluence of the Minnehaha and Mississippi last night riding old beat up bicycles. I asked if they somehow obtained them from a seizure and the CO told me, "No, the DNR just bought us old beat up bikes." Funny thing was, I am pretty sure one of them was on a purple girl's bike - Must have been the rookie.

If you are paranoid about law enforcement targeting those with the nicest equipment, then you truly are paranoid.

I'm not exactly sure what the logic is behind wodering where and how the DNR or any other agency gets their vehicles and if they are too nice. All of these things have a set value, options needed and time for usage assigned to them. Its all public record. I work for the City of Hopkins and our ERP (equip. replacement plan) is in a three ring binder on the counter at city hall for all to see.

For example, the old supervisor retired and with him left a nearly 20yr old truck. He never felt the need to replace it despite the fact it was on a 8yr plan. The budget for the replacement truck was somewhere around $17-18000. Specs were for a 2wd reg cab long box. Nothing more. Ford and Dodge offered what they had. Then Chevy offered their "govt vehicle" contract price and we now have a 4wd, extended cab, fully loaded truck for the price of the budget. Saved around $10,000. Truck will be worth its purchase for at least the next 5 yrs. Resells for more money than a bare bones truck and its certainly nicer to drive than a work truck special. Thats being thrifty and wise use of taxpayer money. not the opposite.

Also, you couldn't sell one vehicle to buy two (sell the "escalade to buy 2 trailblazers) since one truck replaces one truck. Two trucks for the price of one means twice the maintenance and twice the fuel usage.

By the way, as far as the state agencies go there is a lot of federal money out there as well as grant money too.

It seems as though everyone is under the belief that the DNR is using forfieted boats. IF SO...PROVE IT! Put a decal/sticker something on the side of the big rigs, rides whatever that says it's a forfited/seized boat. Do you all really put that much trust in a Government entity???? I certainly don't. Am I sounding untrustworthy of the DNR, not any less than the DMV, MNDOT, Human Services etc.,. Remember it is a government entity.

I dont believe that this will ever get decided on this thread. I do believe that if one thinks that the DNR is wasting money on equipment that is needed, that they should contact the DNR and ask why or call thier state reps and complain if there really is waste.

Everyone has thier own opinion and thats fine. Yes, sometimes there is waste and the best way to cure that is to contact someone who can do something for you. That way, in your heart you know that you tried to help cure a problem if there is one.

Yes, I have faith in our goverment and if I see something that I dont care for then I will make a few phone calls to explain why I personally dont agree with that program. This is about the only way you might get something done.

Very well put Harvey. Your mis-trust in the government will never be hammered out on a fishing website. It would be a long life however if you worried about the government every day. Because between city, sate, and federal governments, you have daily interactions with them all.

Great responses. IF you're so deeply concerned then call someone. Don't just bark about it anonymously online. You obviously think that the most visible public entities are trying to screw the public in plain sight, so do something about it. I think you'll find its on the up and up.

There are so many lobbying groups and watchdog groups and auditors out there who monitor and scrutinize every little thing that govt does.