• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are they biting and how deep and on what?

After 50 yrs of fishing, I am beginning to believe there are two basic types of fishermen(people). And I don't mean drunk and sober. Those who just want to catch fish and those who want to find and catch fish. This is not meant to be critical of anyone who posts, but to me, half the fun of fishing is finding them and figuring out what they are biting on, and how, etc. Even if I can only get up for a week, I want to figure this out with some help from the resort owner, locals, whoever. Sure, if I'm on some big water, I'd like at least to be pointed in some right directions. I was in Canada last year and the deck hand showed me where I could catch good walleyes all day long...and you could....and I stayed away from it unless nothing else was working. I guess if everyone were like me, guides would be out of business though and I would hate to see that! Any thoughts? Mike

I also enjoy trying to find fish, but im always up on vermilion so with so much water i wont turn any tips down on where to fish. grin.gif

I always enjoy finding them and catching them on my own. But sometimes after weeks of trying and trying without much luck, some good old fashined "Catching" is great to revive the spirits.

If you are new to a body of water it is nice to get a place to start. I fish Vermilion quite a bit and after 4 years of going up there I can usually find fish, but that is a big lake with some very seasonal patterns and if you only have a day to figure out the pattern they are in you are probably heading home fishless. I like to at least know what seasonal pattern they are in before heading out. If I have a week to find fish, it not as big a deal since you have a lot more time to experiment with patterns.

What makes me chuckle is when I see a "member since ??/??/02 " and only has 7 posts with the 8th one asking "where are they biting what they biting on and how deep" or "I want ot get my kids on fish",,,,kinda makes me wonder if its not a C&P of the previous 7 posts ,,,I will share info but tend to be on the vague side,,,,I enjoy the fishing experience and catching some is a bonus

JMHO

Randoid

Getting shown spots is always a bonus, but what you do with it shows your character. It is like showing someone your prime spots one year and have that same so called friend bring their own friends and their father there the next year for fathers day and limit out on walleyes. Thats weak to me. There is plenty of spots in our surrounding areas to not hot hole someone eles spot. confused.gif

MMS3rd,

I hear what you're saying, and I pretty much agree, but I think thats a big part of why this website exists. Ever since I found out about it, I've been addicted. The folks here have helped me quite a bit with trying to learn a new place.

I fished the Ely area last summer and was really bummed out that I couldn't hardly catch anything but an occasional snake northern. That was hard to deal with especially when I had company with and we had our new place. I just haven't spent time on those waters.

With more time and tips from here, I've started putting the pieces together and hopefully I'll be able to help out somebody else with something reliable next year.

I don't mind not catching from time to time - but not all the time. And you're right about getting more satisfaction from figuring it out yourself, but sometimes a guy just needs a little break.

Thanks FMers! cool.gif

Both of the last posts are right in my opinion. You certainly shouldn't hammer someone else's secret spot. Try to learn why fish are there at that time and move on to develop your own trail. On the other hand, I have a new place in Ely this year and am greatful for any help I can get so my kids and guests have an enjoyable time.

I think there is a BIG difference in asking about a lake and begging for spots. I have no problem giving information to people, but I am not about to give GPS coordinates to a spot. I will volunteer info. about lures, depth, structure and bait, but don't ask me where these things are. I had to learn this area on my own and it was a lot of fun, but that's what I wanted to do. If someone asks me for some helpful hints I'll share.

P.S. Don't mark Rod and Guns spots on your GPS in front of him, you might just lose it to the bottom of the lake grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

To be consistent it takes years of experience. This forum will accelerate that learning curve, if you pay attention.

You can find the tools to do both "find and catch"

Its up to the individual to put the pieces together. If anything take what you read and remember it. Combine that with what you learn on the good and bad days while on the water. Next time you get that hot tip don't waste it, think to yourself why are they here and remember the depths, time of year, temps, weather pattern. Keep doing that and you'll have that stored info to fall back on.

On that topic, have any of you guys tried any of the software designed to accept a log of such information?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

threeball, good question. No I haven't, the human brain is capable of remembering. When I loose my mind or die there goes everything.

If you keep a log you need to add all the variables for that day or else its not worth doing.

A lot of good ideas. When I lived in Colorado, I would make the annual two day trip back to northern MN, and sometimes would only catch a couple fish all week...especially if we tried a new lake. I considered it a huge disappointment. I now wish I had enjoyed the time more. I guess what got me started with this thread is that I often read posts that seem to ask the experienced board members to do everything but reel in the fish. I think they forget that you all came by this knowledge through patience, time and a lot of effort. I appreciate the tips I've gotten here over the past few years, but I think the casual fisherman shouldn't expect to be able to jump out of the car with "the kids" in tow ("I'm doing it for the kids")and race the boat out to a pile of fish. Thanks.

Just so you know, if you were referring to me, I am not a "casual" fisherman. I fish at least a couple of days per week in the shallow stretches of the Mississippi for smallmouth and love it. I have fished in an experienced club league the last two years and have done well.

This year, though, I bought a cabin in Ely on new and very different water and have a lot to learn. That puts me in the unfamiliar position of seeking information rather than providing it.

That said, I met a bunch of similar minded outdoorsmen on a different forum who have become good friends despite the fact that they were seekiing information from me. Those seeking information are not better or worse people or fishermen.

Time and MORE Time. To be a good fisherman on any particular lake you need to put major amounts of time in. That also means time spent in many different weather patterns in different areas of the lake during different times of year. Seek and you shall find. The thrill of the hunt is the best part of fishing.

JustinG

Quote:

Just so you know, if you were referring to me, I am not a "casual" fisherman. I fish at least a couple of days per week in the shallow stretches of the Mississippi for smallmouth and love it. I have fished in an experienced club league the last two years and have done well.

This year, though, I bought a cabin in Ely on new and very different water and have a lot to learn. That puts me in the unfamiliar position of seeking information rather than providing it.

That said, I met a bunch of similar minded outdoorsmen on a different forum who have become good friends despite the fact that they were seekiing information from me. Those seeking information are not better or worse people or fishermen.

No, I was not referring to you or any particular person. But I apologize if my remarks offended anyone. My dad taught me to fish and it was all trial and error. We got skunked so many times because he refused to ask anyone anything.

My dad was also my "teacher." I recall a warm twelve pack of Pabst for him, a can of pop to split between my brother and I for 10 hours, and very few fish. Most of all, we loved it!

First of all I must say that I really appreciate this forum and all of the people that post. I have learned tons by reading this forum.

Being from Chicago, I only get up to the boundary waters one week every year. When posting I never try to ask for specifics but rather conditions, water level, temps, depths, etc. I figure that if I can get a report on the conditions before I get on the water than I will know what areas to target right away. Seeing as I only get a week in MN, I really want to take advantage of that time. And of course, we only keep what we will eat and the rest are CPR. Once again, I would like to thank everybody for their help. We have had some great fishing the last few years and alot of that has to do with the guys and gals on this forum.

That being said, I will be on the Moose chain and Basswood starting the 16th. Are the water levels still low, even with the latest rains you have been getting? What are the water temps? Are the smallies done spawning up north? Thanks again,

Tim

There are Fishermen and there are people who fish. You learned how to be a Fisherman!

We used to be the news makers instead of the news takers, but unfortunately I've regressed frown.gif

I'LL BE BACK!!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

YO FISHMASTER!

At the risk of starting another roast! laugh.gif

We're planning on being up next weekend, you gonna be around? Working - not working?

Hey, even if you're working the weekend there has to be sometime you can have a beer. If interested let me know how to reach ya.

Ha Ha!

I will be working the mornings next weekend. The greens at the course are now completely open so, bring your clubs up with ya! Stop by and see me on Friday-I am usually done with work around 2:30-3:00. Beer is always a good idea. Are you fishing on Burntside?

Later,

"The Fish Master" cool.gif

I doubt I'll be up that early in the afternoon on Friday.

I'm not planning on leaving work early for this trip, but who knows, its hard to deny the itch! grin.gif

I think I'll stay on our chain since Trout Slayer will still be there and have a weeks worth of info for me to bribe out of him smile.gif. I bought Birch Lake maps also though.

I'll hit Burntside when I'm up for a longer weekend I think, unless someone gives me a reason I can't refuse.

Sooo much water....and you know the rest. smirk.gif

If I stop by the course on Saturday, what would be a good time?

I get it now. There does seem to be a lot of folks posting only before their trip, looking for info, and not participating regularly. I've been in other forums which were different, but I guess that this forum is distinguishable because it involves a tourist area.

You are correct. In this forum if you can see we are four different regions. Which I have no clue why. Can't we get our own DULUTH forum? And why do you have four diffent forums for the Mississippi River?

I can understand the four forums for the Mississippi. There are such long distances and great differences in the river. It would seem appropriate, though, that this forum be split as well.

If you were to look at my history it would show I have only been on this forum for a week or so. I lost my login info, so I had to start up a new profile. But, I did use this forum a few years back and was extremely lucky to chat with a couple of guys that helped me out with Sag, this was after two years of learning the lake on my own. They made my trips to Sag a blast with just some general help on campsites, places to fish per the seasons and other misc help. I ended up meeting both of these guys at the lake, and now fish on a regular basis with one of the guys who is from Chicago. As a matter of fact, I had fished the BWCA for over 15 years and my hunt for the elusive "hawg" was about to drive me crazy, but through some help and info, I finally had some success catching several 2 years ago.My point is, a forum like this can be an awesome tool and actually lead to friendships, which I am sure some of you have experienced first hand. I do regret not becoming a regular poster, and I intend to remedy that from here on out. I will be up on Sag 6/22 with my fishing group which now includes the Chicago friend. Thanks to all of you that are on here helping people out!

Im all to familiar with seekign and providing info...Fourtunetly Ive known and fished with some of the best locals on many lakes across the state and thyre knowledge of the species and techniques are a big help. Ive moved twice in the last three years and everytime was a bummer leaving the lakes I knew but it was great learnign them again!!!! I give info and help when I can and depending on who you are I may or may not give you spots. On here never. If im fishing wiht family and my best friends who share info and spots with me yeah I show em my spots. I have no problem giving out patterns, depths, techniques. But If any of you guys need general info about a lake this is a fantastic tool to use. In the last yr now since moving to ely for school I have learned a few lakes around here wel enough to catch some fish but I specialize in shagawa. Got any questions just ask! grin.gif

Good Idea Jordan ....Im all for a Duluth/Lake Superior forum ,,,now who do we need to talk to ,,,to get er done

Randoid