• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clipper recomendations

Rip_Some_Lip

I am looking at buying some clippers for my Springer. I have searched the web and found a pretty large spread in price. I realize that you probably get what you pay for, but how much do I need to spend on one to ensure it will last? What brands do you guys use? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use the Oster Golden A5. Have had both clippers since the early 90's with no problems. Only thing I have had to have done is blade sharpening. If I had it to do over again I would get the 2 speed version.

My wife grooms dogs and I asked her what she thought and she has used also the Oster A5 and highly recommends the 2 speed version. She said the durability and handling is untouchable. She gets some pretty matted pups in and she say her Oster walks right through them, yet does a great job with a final cut. She also told me to have you google Pet Edge. (no unauthorized links) they are a great company to work with and they have the best prices. Their Oster A5 comes with a blade, oil etc...

Good Luck !!

Farmer

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for the recommendations. I bought the Oster A5 2 speed clipper. It is supposed to be delivered today. Now its just a matter of figuring out how to clip her...lol. My wife is a beautician so hopefully she can assist me and it wont look as bad. I checked out a couple of websited for tips on clipping a Springer. I am wondering how short to clip her. If anyone with experience clipping a springer wants to throw out any tips, it would be great. Thanks again.

I clip all my springers and I use a 1/4" gaurd in the spring and again in the early fall about a month before hunting season. I do that so the hair grows back just about at the same rate as it gets cold.

I start on top of the head and clip about 4 inches at a time as I work my way to the back.

It is all a personal preference and you will get the hang of quickly as you go. If I can do it, anyone can.

Checked with my wife who grooms dogs. She agrees to use the 1/4" comb that clips on the blade of the clipper with an 8 1/2 or 10 blade (clipper should come with a 10 blade she said) and start there. Start at the head and go to town. She says remember you can always take it shorter if you want, and also that it is only hair and it will grow back if you go to short. She mentioned scissor are great also to blend the hair of the legs and ears. She said if you do not want to buy professional shears (scissors) that can be quite expensive, some good sharp sewing shears work nice. Also, a touch up in the fall is great, but as before mentioned, don't go to late in the fall so she will grow a nice winter coat back in time.

Good luck and post a pic. of the new hair cut if you can.

P.S. Another tid bit the wife had is to remove with scissors any mats before bathing or using the clippers as they will tighten on you during a bath.

Good luck - Glad my wife clips my dogs for me. grin.gifgrin.gif

Farmer

Thanks for the tips. We went with the 1/2" for most areas and a 1/4" on the head area. I held her while my wife (who is a cosmologist) clipped her. It was a struggle getting her to sit still. About half way through, she finally realized that she wasn't getting away and she laid there great the rest of the way. Here are a couple of before and after pictures. We need to touch her up a little on the ears and legs because the mosquito's were getting us at the end and we had to hurry a little. I was happy with the first time, its all downhill from here!

52307003gy0.th.jpg

52307007uc3.th.jpg

Showed my wife the pics. Thanks for posting them. She thought she looked great ! grin.gif She mentioned that at first dogs that have not been clipped are always up and down and wanting to know what the heck you are doing, but being patient yet firm and persistant, they learn this is not so bad and they accept the clippers. The vibration is alittle scary to them. She also said the next time should go smoother and before you know it, you'll be an old hand at grooming her.

Farmer

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.