• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike Help for a CPR guy!

My family is coming up the weekend of the 9th. WAS planning on Big D, but wally tourny and Quake the lake has busted that plan. So.....just looking for some options. DNR site show a nice population of pike on Little Cormorant, Cotton, and few others. Just looking for a suggestion. Thanks HUGE! StM

Melissa, and Sallie have populations of larger pike with the slot, and an occasional muskie. Are you looking for size or numbers?

Ya If your are looking for decent size and good numbers I would try Sallie. I would troll in 4-12 FOW using medium to large sucker minnows 3-5 mph using steel spinner rigs. I would start trolling at the public acces and go back and forth from access go right to weed beds up around corner past river inlet with fishing peir then turn around and go around past landing to end where lake starts to curve. IF you see a Lighted Decorortive Palm tree that would be a good spot to start turning around. With the slot limit in Place you can get some decent size fish in the last few years if you are only looking to CPR. Good luck, you may have a good chance to hitting a muskie or two also in the same area. If you have a map of Sallie you will notice that the weed edge follows some good 7-20foot drop offs. Good Luck.

With CPR (Catch Photo Release) I would go out to Melissa or Sally. Lots of structure and nice norts. I would stay away from DL because of all the recreational boat trafic. Nice thing about both is if you get bored with norts you can switch to crappies or walleyes. If your looking at possible going for Muskies then maybe DL or Pelican. But I would go to Melissa or Sallie both are nice lakes and accesses are pretty dang good to get in and out of.

Thanks HUGE for the post. I've fished sallie several times. It seems to be a morning lake rather then an evening lake. I want to avoid the D/L area next weekend. I figure lots of people and even more boats. As for CPR, I think I've kept 5 fish in the past 4 seasons. As for quanity and quality....any fish that stretches your line is a gift. I don't think I've even injuried a fish in 6 or 7 seasons. Thanks folks! StM

Just like the other guys said. Sallie would be a top choice. I have caught numerous northerns in the 5 to 15 pound range. My personel best is 43" while ice fishing. Trolling the weed edges with a spinner live bait rig or any bright flashy plug and you should get pounded. The bass are biting ptetty good out there as well and are a blast to catch. I have had good luck both mornings and evenings, and that lake has an awesome midday bite during the full moon. Good Luck!!!!!!!!