• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskie Attack at Lake Calhoun

Just caught the end of a story on the radio about a 9 yr old boy who was apparently attacked by a muskie while swimming in Lake Calhoun. Lots of bleeding but did not catch if there was any severe lacerations/stithces required.

Scared the child pretty good though! This is the second or third instance I have heard about in the past year or so and have never heard anything like it before. Do you all think something is changing to make these fish more aggressive or did we just not hear about it before?

Daze Off

The cut wasn't very bad. I saw the picture on the Star Trib. website today. The cut was maybe an inch long, when you get a cut wet it thins out the blood and makes it look like it is bleeding much worse then it really is.

The kid in the picture didn't even have a bandage on the cut any more.

But it seems like you hear of this now and again, last time I heard of it a muskie attacked a kids hand and tore it up pretty good.

I have heard of a few stories where a muskie/pike have a attacked someone, but never witnessed it. Maybe it was a shark grin.gif I think we should write a letter into the star trib and tell them that we witnessed the attack and saw a big fin swimming around!

I have a sunfish attack story that never made the Star-Trib. A college buddy and I were floating around in inner tubes with our girlfriends. I see him scrambling to the boat; he says he was bit on the nipple. I told him he was full of it (which he usually was), but a bead of blood forms. I told his girlfriend that sunfish were venomous and she needed to suck the poison out like a snake bite (she didn't buy it of course). Next time he comes swimming, he takes off his shirt and he's got two protective bandaids on.

HAHAHAHAHAHA weed shark thats funny.Where is a rod when ya need one smirk.gif

Everybody be careful skinny dipping from now on. You never know what an out or control muskie (or sunfish) will grab on to next.

DD

Quote:

Do you all think something is changing to make these fish more aggressive or did we just not hear about it before?

They live in the city! I lived in the Metro for a couple years,and I was ready to start biting poeple towards the end of living in that beehive.

They must be Gangster Musky.

grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Do you all think something is changing to make these fish more aggressive or did we just not hear about it before?

They live in the city! I lived in the Metro for a couple years,and I was ready to start biting poeple towards the end of living in that beehive.

grin.gif

"They must be Gangster Musky."

*groan*

Unbelievable, this was the second story at 5 on channel 5 news. They made a pretty big deal about it. After that they went on to shootings and such. Yep, muskie bit (alegidly) is more important than other stories.

Quote:

grin.gif

I think what you meant is "Gangsta" musky....from Murderapolis.

LanceJ

Im lovin your avatar picture hahaha that was on a couple nights ago

There's a possibility that it wasn't a Muskie that did the biting, it could have easily been a snapping turtle being startled from its resting spot.

I am planning my vacation up there in July. Is this something that happens all the time, was it really a fish that bit him? I was looking forward to fishing and skiing. Maybe I should forget the skiing? confused.gif

I wouldn't change plans due to this incident which appears to be more a media hype than actual fact. I am sure the chances to be bitten by a fish is even a lot less than being strike by lightning twice.

Also was it really a muskie ? Could have been a pike or a walleye, or bass, how did the kid knew was a muskie, did he know color patterns ?

Your chances of winning the powerball are somewhere around getting bit by a musky. Have a good time!!!!

Quote:

There's a possibility that it wasn't a Muskie that did the biting, it could have easily been a snapping turtle being startled from its resting spot.

The story in the Star-Tribune mentioned 3 scratches, about an inch-long (if I recall correctly). So that sounds more like a fish than a turtle.

Quote:

I am planning my vacation up there in July. Is this something that happens all the time, was it really a fish that bit him? I was looking forward to fishing and skiing. Maybe I should forget the skiing?
confused.gif

DeeDee,

As the others said, a lightening strike is far more likely (and I think a bandaid was needed in this instance). Don't give it another thought, and have fun!

Good. I cant wait to get back up there. This will be my husbands first time there. I want him to love it as much as I do. Then maybe move back some day, with a really heavy jacket

Quote:

Just caught the end of a story on the radio about a 9 yr old boy who was apparently attacked by a muskie while swimming in Lake Calhoun. Lots of bleeding but did not catch if there was any severe lacerations/stithces required.

Scared the child pretty good though! This is the second or third instance I have heard about in the past year or so and have never heard anything like it before. Do you all think something is changing to make these fish more aggressive or did we just not hear about it before?

Daze Off

It's not as uncommon as you think. The other halfs daughter has been bitten a few times. I'm sure she is on the other side of the extreme. She used to just about literally live in the water at her grandparents campgrounds. It is a lake known for it's Muskie too, so it could be Muskie biting. We never knew for a fact what she was actually getting bit by. All these instances happened between 3 and 7 years ago.

Pin a spinner bait to your life jacket (with out the hooks) and they wont come near you! grin.gifgrin.gif

C'mon! Let's expand the lore of the horrors of muskies at this opportunity: Pass the word that they come up under swimmers and eat their testicles.

I do believe, most attacks occur on synchronized swimmers, performing figure eight maneuvers.

Figure eights? That's funny!

I wonder if it matters whether they're wearing chartreuse, or are wearing a very large spinner blade on a necklace.

Personally if it is a small cut and a large muskie I think it would be worth it just to see the muskie up close swimming around.

Quote:

were they bad bites or just nibbles? Bandaids or stitches?

Minor abrasions.

On a side note, If I had to choose a fish that would most likely bite someone, I would choose the Northern Pike. They are actually a distant relative to the shark, and are the most agressive biting fish I know of. I think most people might assume they are Mushies becouse Muskies can get rather large. Like I said, we have no idea what she was actually bit by, but it was something.

But you do have a sense of humor which is GREAT.

Have a good vacation!! grin.gif

As long as there arent any that come up under swimmers and swim in anything shocked.gif