• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How did you start fishing?

Weed Shark

Fishing is my favorite pastime. I'm thankful my dad was an avid angler, even though my grandpa was not a fisherman. My main fishing buddy is hardcore; but his dad didn't fish. I always detected tones of resentment in their voices.

I did not do the DNR's new pledge to take a kid fishing, but I have always done so. This year I've had 6 kids in my boat who never/virtually never fished (getting 2 new ones lined up). Typically the parents don't know how to tie knots, or like to touch bait (I think I'll buy a box of Thorne Brothers plastic knot tying guides, they're great).

I was surprised when one boy was very uneasy about the rocking of a 14' boat...I forget where I must've started. My son talked him into touching a fish with one finger. That's where we all began; some at age 3, some age 10 or more. First touch, later unhook and bait your own. What a shame, if they never discovered that they have this passion for fishing, like so many of us; or hold resentment for never getting to go.

How did you start fishing?...Who do you thank?...Did you use to take kids fishing, but now that your older, you have a hard time getting out on your own; even though you'd love to? Any thoughts on the subject?

I guess I'm also wondering; These kids have lots stacked against them, and there is slim chance they'll take up fishing. I won't see most of them enough to be their "go to" fishing partner. But some will beat all odds, what shred does it take?

I do not remember where or when exactly but I do remember starting with a drop line. Wind some line around a small board or stick, tie on a hook with a sinker and catch some fish. Once you caught a few you would get to try a regular fishing pole.

In the 1950's my dad was a corporate climber with GE in Louisville, KY and worked 6 12 hour days each week. On Sundays he would take us to church and then drop my mom off and he would take me and brother fishing for a few hours. This went on till I was well in to my teenage years. After I got my drivers license my interests turned to a nice 1970 Chevelle and girl named Sharon.

The early years of fishing off the bank with my dad set the stage for my adult fishing adventures. The Chevelle is long gone, but Sharon is still there. I, in turn, took my son fishing when he was a kid and now at 25 he is starting to pick up the rod again.

The DNR is promoting taking the kids fishing because the early experience will get them interested later in life. I agree.

I was young, don't quite remember what age, and my Godfather bought me me a zebco rod and reel combo and a tackle box that was fully stocked. Nobody ever took me out fishing I had to learn what I was doing by myself. Started fishing the Platte River in Royalton, then we moved and I started biking down to Little Rock Lake and fishing by the bridge. During my teen years I really didn't fish at all. Now that I am older I do a ton of Ice fishing and minimal open water as I need to buy a boat.

I started fishing when I was around 8 years old. I had to teach myself. Me and my buddies would ride our bikes out to the lake about 3 miles away and catch frogs as bait. Throw them out with a sinker and then either wait, or go play on the playground and come back 10 minutes later to see if we had anything. 50/50 shot between it being a bass or a bullhead. We used to do this everyday during summer vacation.

I was 5 and we were camping at Green lake in Chisago County. Kids were catching sunfish off the dock and I was so jealous I must of thrown a tantrum of some sort because lo and behold a Zebco 202 and box of worms appeared. I got my first fish that day and never looked back.

Growing up on a very small farm in MN, fishing was not a sport (even though fun for us). It was a way of putting more food on the table.

I started with my dad at my grandparents cabin when I was around 2-3 years old fishing off the dock for Pearch/Sunfish, and then evetually Crappies out of the row boat. When I was 6 my dad bought a fishing boat and we would go out in that once in a while. Once a year he always went on a trip to Canada with a few of his friends. I remember watching them out the window packing up at midnight and taking off of out of the driveway to head to northern Ontario for a week. When I turned 12 I was the first kid invited on this yearly fishing trip to Canada and I had a blast. I have now been going with my dad and a couple of his good friends (and sometimes their kids) for the past 16 years, and this Sunday I leave for year 17!!! I can't wait. I have 4 good friends I met in college that I do the majority of my fishing/hunting with. I now fish year round and hunt ducks/pheasant/grouse/deer in the fall..and I owe it all to my dad!

I also owe part of the hunting to my great uncle who when he passed he left me 3 of his guns, one of which is an early 50's Browning A5. Along with that A5 he left me an early build Alumacraft Ducker. I use both every year and now have a 2 year old lab that joins me!!! grin.gif

My Dad started me young. We would sit at the river all day. Usually my brother and I played with the minnows, but it was great time with my Dad. We never had a boat though and never knew what we would catch. Now he comes down and I take him fishing. Best times, catching or not, are fishing with him and hearing the same stories I heard 30 years ago. Can't wait to start my daughter fishing.

well, i was about 4 or 5 and i'm told that i had been pestering my granpa for a while before he first took me out. it was a small iowa river and my first fish was a big ole carp. i got two that day, and out fished my big brother grin.gif both my grandpas fished. one had a place in ottertail county and the other was a river shore fisherman.

my dad didn't fish much and likely hasn't bought a liscense in 10 years. i can't wait to get my kids out. my step daughters enjoy it, but they are 14 so they don't go all that often. my little ones are 3 and 15 months and i hope to get my daughter her first fish this year cool.gif

My dad, grandpa, and great aunt all started taking me out fishing when I was about 3. I fished regularly into my teens, but when my father passed I kind of got away from it for about 10 yrs or so. I've gotten back into it pretty regularly in the last 5 yrs or so and I think it goes back to how much fun I had doing it as a kid. Now with 4 kids of my own I find that it's a great stress reliever, plus I've gotten my kids into fishing as well. Hopefully I'll get them hooked like I did... grin.gif

I didn't start fishing until I was 20. My new hubby took me fishing a time or two. I didn't know how to fish without a worm or minnow, and I wasn't about to put them on the hook myself - let alone take a bullhead off!

Then, about 3 years ago, I discovered bass fishing. I took my kids and special needs nephew fishing while my hubby was out of the country. We didn't catch anything, but we had a blast. It has been a great sense of accomplishment to learn how to fish bass on my own.

I still use a glove to remove fish off the hook, but mainly because I play an instrument, and a hook in the hand could put an end to that. Now, I just need hubby to teach me how to fish for walleye...

My dad started the fever at age 5 or 6. Spent many a night on the river banks fishing for catfish. The coolest thing though, was he worked midnights and would come home, wake me and say " lets skip school " and we'd be gone. In high school when everyone was driving Camaros, firebirds, mustangs, etc... I had an old Country Squier station wagon with the all the fishing equipment and a matress in the back, and wouldn't hesitate to get out of school and take off for a night on the river. Older and a father I'd be on the bank with my first born in the car seat right next to me. All my kids and that is 5, have experienced the passion I have and all but one share the desire. smile.gif

Both of my parents loved to fish and I have been going out in a boat since I was 3 weeks old. When I was little it was either fish or find a way to entertain yourself. I also love to fish.

Also started because of my Dad. He taught me to fish on the rivers and tributaries of Lake Huron and Ontario fishing for trout and salmon in the spring an fall. Years before he gave me the love of fishing at a nearby pond catching pan fish but I truly learned how to fish on the rivers chasing trout. My first rod was a 4.5 foot bait caster with a close face spinning real. The day before he gave it to me it was a 6.5 foot 1 piece baitcaster that got shut in the trunk with 2 foot sticking out the back. Glue on a new tip and voila, a rod perfect for a 5 year old to catch sunnies.

He's 81 now. Its my turn to take him fishing these days. His annual month long trip to MN is coming in late June and he along with my 14 year old son who I taught to fish (and he's really good by the way) will spend many days in my boat chasing down walleys and northerns. Because I spend most of my time controlling the boat, and my dad's touch isn't what it was my son will catch the majority of the fish but no matter, its all good. 3 generations of a fishing family all born in different countries (England, Canada, USA) all in the same boat sharing the same stories we've swaped for the last few years and enjoying some good times.

Dad and grandpa got me started at an early age :-) That's why we need to take as many kids fishing as possible.

Both of my Grandpas got me hooked on fishing and my dad also took me out. I am so grateful to them for introducing me to fishing and I am excited to take my kids fishing when they are old enough. I have 15 younger brothers and sisters that I have introduced to fishing.

At my cabin in Itasca county, I was in the boat before I could even hold a rod. By age three I had already caught my first northern and countless perch and sunnies. Yes, age three. I have my father to thank.

I can thank my grandfather and dad for getting me hooked on fishing. My grandparents had a cabin up by Park Rapids that we would visit 1 to 2 times a summer. I would get to fish off the dock all by myself for sunnies, bass and perch. As I got older and was became more responsible, I was able to get out in the little bay with a 12ft boat and a 10 horse motor. I really had something to look forward to now because I had some independence and could fish new haunts. I then graduated to the big boat and was able to tackle the whole lake! They also brought me along on numerous trips to Canada when I was younger.

As for ice-fishing, I had a few buddies in highschool that always encouraged me to "tag along" on their outings. However I never understood the reasoning of sitting on a bucket in the middle of a sheet of ice and never took them up on their offers. It took me until my freshman year in college that my interest spiked for ice-fishing. From that day forward the rest is history!

I don't honestly remember a time when I didn't fish. When I was young, my grandpa was already retired and my bro and I used to go spend 1-2 weeks with him every summer and we fished the Mississippi around Trempeluea Wisconsin EVERY day we were there. GREAT TIMES...

All my nieces and nephews have gotten their first fishing poles from "Uncle Jeff" as have the little ones here in my own house too!

As a kid I'd walk to one of the 2 lakes in Virginia and fish for sunnies. I'd use what ever I could find for bait, bread, worms and even red nibs candy. My mom would yell at us because we'd leave the kitchen and yard a mess after cleaning and cooking up the fish.

As I got older, early teens, my Father brought me up to Canada a few times to fish.

Late teens I didnt fish at all.

I moved down to the cities in my early twenties. Other than 2 trips to Canada and an Ice fishing contest, I didnt fish at all until I was in my 30's.

About 5 years ago, a friend invited me to go Ice fishing in his portable.

After that I was hooked.

Since then, I bought my first portable and a bunch of Ice fishing gear. I then built my first wheeled house and enjoyed the time spent fishing while sleeping wink.gif

And now, going on 37 years old, I bought my first boat so I can do MORE fishing.

Most non-fishing parents are not huge fish eaters. Kids should learn to like fish at a young age. That isn't going to happen with supermarket cod, boxed frozen fish sticks, or school cafeteria fish. Non-fishing families need to hear about, and taste, good fresh fish.