• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ummm...yeah..embarassing question about fishing the flats

Stick in Mud

So what's the best way to do it?

I do most of my fishing out of Garrison, and I usually stop catching many fish when they move out to the flats...I do fine on the rocks and sand (not that it's that hard). My experience on the flats comes with drifting spinners and rigs, but I'm not sure about where on the flat to go, how best to present a bait, how far off bottom, what color spiners are best, etc etc. I suppose I'm looking for the basics, yet I'd also be happy with some more specific advice / pointers if anyone wants to give it. smile.gif

Thanks already.

Carmike you will have no problems with the flats catcing fish doing the samething you are doing in the sand, rocks etc. the biggest thing is to maintain contact with the bottom, but DO NOT let your sinker drag the bottom it will stir up all the silt and slow fishing down. Every once in awhile just drop your sinker to maintain contact. You will find fish on the top edges, on the bopttom edges and sometimes 100 yards off the flat in 30+ fow I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!

When pulling spinners use a 3-way swivel set-up with a fairly heavy sinker - 1 ounce or more if it is windy. Fish straight below the boat. Generally I like fairly long leaders for my spinners. Minimum of 6 feet and sometimes I have used up to 10 feet.

Use a super line like Power Pro or spider wire to increase the sensitivity. Make sure you are moving fast enough to turn the spinner but vary the speeds. The fish will tell you what speed they like.

If a decent wind is blowing start off of one side of the flat and troll up the flat, across the top and off the other side. Return to the type of structure where you caught fish. Watch you electronics. Keep in mind fish laying on the bottom can be tougher to see then ones on hard bottom depending on your electronics.

Keep your sinker out of the mud. You can feel it stick in the bottom. Pull the sinker 12-18 inches off of them bottom.

I generally put minnows on my spinners rigs but I also use crawlers and ocassionally leeches. I use leeches on lindy rigs on the flats more than I do spinners. If you have more than one guy in the boat, each try a different bait.