• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Got my update from the trainer today

Powerstroke

For the last week and for the coming week my 11mo old springer Riley has been at Wings and Whistles. Many people here recommended them to me and I have to say I've been pretty impressed.

Dave, one of the trainers, called me today to give me the update today. Riley has graduated from dead pigeons through clipped birds and now to flying pheasants. He also has done all his gun familiarity and is working with shotguns. This 2 week course is all positive reinforcement so not discipline. The only issues mentioned were a hard mouth, he's killed a couple birds, and a tendency to keep a bird rather than return it. Thats what the check cord is for.

I feel like a proud papa. Next week I will go and see what he's learned and I will learn how to keep up the training. We will shoot some birds over him and watch him work. By then he should be tracking and flushing from cover.

If they like what they see he will go back in a couple weeks for a month long course that will do the obedience and advanced training. They also do collar conditioning which is one reason why I chose them. I will go in every week during the month and learn what he's learned and train with him. We should be all ready for the fall season.

I always hoped I could do all this myself, but after seeing the time and effort and patience needed to do this I know I made the right decision by hiring someone to train my dog. I have a new respect for those who train their own dogs and those who train for other people.

I've been very impressed with just about all the dogs Mike and Dave have trained. Its nice to hear the updates.

Sounds like you are going to have a good time bird hunting this fall.

Theres nothing like hunting behind a good bird dog. Its what its all about. smile.gif

I've never hunted behind my own dog before so it should be something special. Wasn't there talk about combining some game farm hunting with the second annual Mille Lacs G2G at Appeldoorns?!

HUH? What! (ears perk up....the dogs ears too!)

"hooks"

Quote:

I've never hunted behind my own dog before so it should be something special.

It certainly is!!! grin.gif Last fall was my labs rookie hunting season and my first time owning/hunting with a dog. It was a great experience! He just turned 2 and this will be his second season.....it should be good, I can't wait!

It does take time to train a dog.

I can tell you that after spening the time ,it was all worth it.

My lab,Buck is one of the best I've ever had.

He's 2 as of today .

I can remember my tears of joy when he retrieved his 1st goose.

Having hunted behind many a dog I'll say I'd never go without one.

You never miss a bird(99%).

My lab dives for ducks.He's caught 5 grouse on his own not to mention retrieving over 100.

Buck is my buddy.Hand signals,whistle,verbal .He's so versatile.

Rock steady in a boat,right on my heel walking the river jump shooting woodies you name it.

When ice fishing is bad he'll even steal me a few crappies from other fishermen. wink.gif

HPIM0659.jpg

Fishroger, they charge around $250 a week. Exact details are on their website. They do board and train, supply food and everything. Like setterguy said, they are great guys out there. I will probably use them for boarding if I ever need to leave him at a kennel.

I can't wait! I'm taking a half day on monday to go out there and pick him up. It will be awesome to see him hunting birds.

I'm not familiar with the fee system but that sounds pretty reasonable for boarding, food, and birds. I took a look at their website and they look like they have a pretty good training program.

Does anyone know if they work with GSP's or do they strictly handle retrieving type breeds? I know their website says they handle all types of breeds, but that saying can be deceiving at times.

CPT BRK, if you don't hear from them this weekend, I can ask when I pick up my guy on monday. They are around all weekend since they will be training today and then all the dogs still get exercise and playtime on sunday. I'm pretty sure Mike is out of town, but Dave can answer any questions. He's the one training my dog primarily, but they work together for those "two-handler" scenarios.

As far as the prices, I looked around and they are right in the ballpark with what others are charging. They said prices are going up a couple bucks because of bird prices, but very minor. I noticed it does say they do training on pointing breeds so I'll ask if they've worked with GSP's before.

Thanks Sir!

I look forward to hearing from you early this coming week.

Andy

Bird hunting will now be a whole new exciting game with your new dog. When I was younger, 30 years ago, my main goal of the hunt was to shoot my limit for the day. Then when I bought my pup and had him train, the game changed.

I could go to Iowa for a week and simply enjoy watching the dog work the birds and go on point. The amount of birds harvested didnt matter any more. What a joy it is to watch a good dog work.

You are in for the time of your life. Good luck to your and your new hunting partner.

Brandon- I talked to Dave today and he said they do lots of work with the pointing breeds. He said nows the time to call since your pup is still quite young. I know when I called they were booked a little ways out, but he said to call and chat.

I went out there today to see whats been going on the last 2 weeks. We planted and hunted some chuckars. He did very well including a cripple that flew into some trees and waist high grass. We figured the bird was long gone until Riley came bounding out with it in his mouth. We did some check cord work so I could see how to work with him at home and then we were off. We'll be going back in 2 wweks for collar conditioning and obedience stuff. They work on quartering and actual hunts.

Powerstroke, Like harvey said, you will find it to be, not so much shooting the bird but watching your dog work.

I'm hunting behind my third dog now and what a joy it is to take friends pheasant hunting just to watch my dog work.

Enjoy your dog and good hunting.

Dan

I couldn't stop smiling as I worked with him and the trainer today. Once we got home I took him for our normal evening walk in a large "conservation area", thats suburbian for undevelopable land, behind my house. Before he would just run and charge around doing whatever. This time he was walking with me like normal, then caught the scent and bolted into the grass. Within 8-10 seconds he flushed 2 roosters and a hen. It was everything I had to hold the check cord to keep him from chasing them across the county. I couldn't have been happier to see it working in a situation outside of the training fields.

Quote:

Andy

Bird hunting will now be a whole new exciting game with your new dog. When I was younger, 30 years ago, my main goal of the hunt was to shoot my limit for the day. Then when I bought my pup and had him train, the game changed.

I could go to Iowa for a week and simply enjoy watching the dog work the birds and go on point. The amount of birds harvested didnt matter any more. What a joy it is to watch a good dog work.

You are in for the time of your life. Good luck to your and your new hunting partner.

I second that emotion!!!

Once the dog & owner work together something magical happens.

I'm so keen on watching Buck work.

His demeanor tells me when there's birds in the area.

It's so cool seeing him get birdy!He is so proud when he makes the retrieves too.

You'll see that your time afield will increase as you feel the need to get the dog out for it's benefit.