• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nisswa Guides Report

What a wild weekend here in the Nisswa area. There were people absolutely everywhere in the area. With the Professional Walleye Trail pros in town the bait shop was packed all weekend, it sure kept us on our toes. I guess they figured out where to get the best bait.

The fishing was pretty good over the weekend. We had some great trips on a variety of lakes. Gull has been pretty good for walleye. We've been getting them from all the way up in the weeds(9 feet) out into the mid twenties. Seems like fish are active on both the north end and south end of the lake. One group of customers had three guide boats out there on Saturday. It was windy but they had an awesome day, about 50 walleyes in total. What a great trip! Other lakes are really turning on too. Round has had a hot bite going but most of the fish are running on the small side. Pelican is heating up with a few limits being caught. Key depths on Pelican are 24-27 feet. My sleeper lake this week is Whitefish. A few limits were caught over the weekend in some specific areas for angler using leeches on a live bait rig or a slip float. The weedlines are the ticket right now up there. Seems a little early yet for whitefish but I think it is worth a shot. The walleyes are slurping up shiners, redtails, or leeches. This morning I was pre-fishing with Nisswa Guide Richie Boggs for the upcoming PWT tournament on Mille Lacs. Without going into details, I have to say that Mille Lacs is red hot right now. Nice fish are biting all over the lake.

We even did a crappie fishing trip on Sunday. It went better than expected. With the crappies disappearing after the spawn we had to search a little deeper. There they were holding just at the weed edge in 10 feet of water. It was a slab fest. Good job Todd on a great trip.

The pike fishing continues to be very good on Gull. Troll anything with a spinner and you will get plenty of pike action. 6-15 feet is a good depth to key on.

We'll keep you posted on the latest happenings. Give us a call if you would like to cash in on the good fishing.

Jason Erlandson

Hey Jason.

Thanks for the report. You do an awesome job of keeping all of us informed and I thank you whole heartedly.

It's nice to have someone who knows what is happening give some inside intel for a change. Seems like the majority of the population up there is so tight lipped...like I am going to catch every last fish in the lake; get real.

I would be lucky to catch a limit, if I got out.

Thanks again!!!

I continue to send people your way as far as the bait shop goes because we both know that you have some of the best bait in the state!

Wish I could find some time, I would love to get on the water with you!

Good Luck

Wow, you must have some pretty good bait if all those pwt pros are driving 40 miles to get it.

Nice report!

Pelican been better on shiners or redtails lately?

I had really good luck on Leeches this last weekend on Pelican. Leeches and a red and white spinner trolling the weed edge. I also got 6 really nice walleyes on bobbers with leeches right before sun down in about 8 feet of water. The biggest was about 25".

Sounds like a good time!Any general area to try?

We just got dumped on this afternoon. It was a much needed rain. Sorry for the delay. Its taken me a little while to catch up after the weekend.

Thanks for all the kind words. We get lots of emails from customers of the bait shop and the Nisswa Guide Service. We always try to do our best to give people the straight reports and tips to get everyone headed in the right direction. We are blessed to be able to live in the area we love and to work in the business we love. The customers are a big part of that.

As far as good bait goes, we try to do our best. We have some of the best suppliers in the state and we do our best to keep up with the demand. Over the last few years the demand has grown many times over. I think people enjoy buying bait that is fresh. We try not to stockpile anything. That way everyone is always getting the good stuff.

The fish lately have been hitting on a variety of baits. Over the last week I've caught fish on fatheads, shiners, chubs, leeches, and crawlers. It is the time of the season where it changes from day to day. I like to have at least a couple of choices with me on trips. Usually I'll bring two types of minnows and either a crawler or a leech. Let the fish tell you what they want, don't force feed them.

Good Luck everyone!

Jason Erlandson

Deerwoody, how well do you know the lake? Around Gooseberry there is a hump that goes up to about 7 or 8 feet. The bottom composition is sand with rocks (size of softballs) and sparse weed clumps. You have to be there the last 45 minutes of sunlight. Bobber rigs with a small jig and a leech were working. My bobber stops were set at about 4 1/2ft-6ft. They were pounding them when they hit. As soon as you start catching Rock bass, leave, there are no more walleyes coming through. It will only work for another week or so, then they change their pattern. It's one of those early season spots, might work in the fall, but never tried it. If you are off by 50 yards you can get nothing. That is as detailed as I am going to get. Sorry can't spoil the spot.

TrophyEyes,that will do just fine.Thanks for the tips.I dont know the lake that well but I feel I'm good at reading structure so that will do just fine. grin.gif