• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

(contact us please) POACHERS

Gordie

This really makes me sick to my stomach. A friend called me this after noon and I asked him what he was doing and he said he was looking at a bear and I went cool were is it and his reply was its dead in the ditch and then I said were you at and he said that he was just a few miles from my house and I thought car had hit it but before that thought really crossed my mind he said POACHERS did it and that it was a big bear. the police said it was shot and droped off in this ditch you could see tire tracks were they backed down and rolled the bear out of the vehicle.All these A$$ hoes did was cut the front paws off of the animal and the dnr said that the paws bring around 1000.00 bucks on the black market.This bear was not here on friday afternoon and my friend saw it at 9:30am monday. I really hope these people ( I really shouldnt call them people) get caught and are prosicuted to the fullest extend of the law. If you her anything please contact dnr or princeton police. My 8 yr old son still cant understand why this happened and I'm not sure that I do either.

I took these photos and its not a pretty site.

100_1526.jpg

100_1525.jpg

100_1523.jpg

what a waste of a beatifull animal.

That's too bad...what is with people. Only cutting off the front feet? What the????

That's really a sad deal...nice bear with great hair on him too.

(Contact Us Please).

We should find the people that did this and cut their hands off and see how they like it. It makes you want to pound somebody's face in mad.gif Don't they do that in like Saudi Arabia if someone gets caught stealing they cut their hands off? If someone poaches they get their hands cut off! Sounds good to me.

That just pisses me off, no reason for that, none at all. they need to be found, prosecuted, jailed, fined, an privlidges revoked. That just sucks. Boar

It is a shame people would do this.

Although this time a year a bear can be very annoying, not that I am defending these people at all, but at this time of year this bear could have been a royal pain to someone, there isnt much food in the woods yet for them, so someones feeder, food trough, garbage, can keep these guys coming in to their yard daily, and if I had young kids outside playing and had this bear hanging around, I would want something done, and the dnr is going to do much for you, not that they wont, but in might take 2-4 weeks to get to you.

Like I said I am not defending what they did, but there might have been a good reason it was done, instead of poaching.

it is still poaching if you haven't received dnr's approval to take care of an annoying animal....this is just sick and there is not a good excuse out there to justify killing this animal without proper approval!!!

I know it was poaching, but I guess what I was getting at was it may have been a threatning his family, or his live stock,or dog. They may not have shot it for the porpose of poaching, (odds are that is what happend) but it may have been because the bear was threatning him or his animals, (self-defense)and as I stated the dnr isnt that quick to respond to nuesance calls for bear, or wolf.

I highly doubt that there was any reason other than a quick profit. Nuisance or not, DNR call or not, threatening or not; the paws were taken to be used in some way, probably for cash. That pretty much negates any other "acceptable" reason, at least in my book.

I hope that someone turns these people in for some quick cash. If you need it that bad get a second job you dont need to Kill an animal that someone like myself would consider a trophy just because you need the money heck we all need the money but you dont see any one of us doing this confused.gifconfused.gif

It is good to look at all probable intentions on why this animal was killed, but logic tells me that poaching was the driving force in this. I'm all for selfdefense for self, family. But too kill it in self defense an cut the feet off an leave any havestable meat just is'nt rational. It's not just poaching but wanton waste. If this was someone who also hunts I like to think he'd consume the animal, still very wrong but at least it's not rotting in the ditch. Anyway it still sucks. Boar

• 2 weeks later...

well I found out some stuff linked to this bear I friend of mine son is a police officer in princeton and he said that a local fireman came forward and admitted to cutting off the paws of the bear and charges are pending ( their not sure if or what to charge him with) He said that he did not kill the bear the bear was allready dead when he cut the paws off. I'll post more as I find out about it.

From the Star-Trib, Almanac Section, June 9:

Officer David Schottenbauer of Princeton has resolved the case of the dead bear found without its paws. Turns out it wasn't a poaching case after all. The bear was killed in a collision with a vehicle, and someone then cut the paws off. Schottenbauer wrote a warning to the person.

Someone told me that the gall bladder has to stay in the gut pile. is this true

bear2007003.jpg

page 10:

...may not sell meat or organs (including gall bladders) of a bear. A person may sell teeth, skulls, bones, hides or claws of a lawfully taken bear. A person may not sell bear paws, unless attached to the hide.

I received no cash or barter for it. I could be wrong but I think this is ok.

I don't think I would have eaten gall bladder soup even if they had offered it.

Wish I had taken some pics though. This one was big and blue. I did get some video but I don't think this forum allows links unless approved and no pics with blood anyway right? It would be quite bloody since I was gutting Yogi.

Set me straight guys.

Yea, I read the same in the laws. I believe you were in the right for giving it away. I could see where people would sell them when they can (illegal) for a large profit.

It should be noted that I have never seen a gall bladder from a bear and dont know what they look like.