• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carlisle trailer tires!!!

Fishinglund

Question

Hello,

I know this has been talked about before, but I just got back from a fishing trip and my trailer tire looks like it has a belt broken in it. This tire probably has less than 3000 miles on it, and is less than 1 year old. Anyway, I'm done with Carlisle tires for good. This is the third Carlisle tire over the last 3 years that I have had trouble with. I'm buying Goodyear Marathons tomorrow unless someone can convince me to buy something better.

Also, I have a 2004 Lund 1775 Pro-V (115 Opti/9.9 kicker/front and back trolling motors) with an Eagle bunk single axle trailer. I admit that I take a lot of gear, but I can't imagine that I'm overloading the trailer. It has 14 inch tires on it which are rated for 1760 lbs each at 50 PSI cold. Is there a 14 inch tire that has a heavier load rating? Does anyone have a similar set-up, and if so, what are your tire sizes. Is it possible/ or even worth while to put a heavier axle on this trailer? Should I even need a heavier axle or heavier load rating? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm going to Canada in a week and a half and I don't want to have any more tire problems.

Thanks!

Fishinglund

10 answers to this question

I have used those tires and the wear doesnt seem to be the greatest. I now use Goodyear on the trailer and also the race trailer. They do run a little more money but, you have much more life in them.

I would vote Goodyear.

Fishinglund, I'd find it hard to believe that anyone that trailers a boat ANY distance would try to talk you OUT of Goodyear Marathons! I replaced my Carlisle tires about 6 years ago with Marathons and they still look new. The trailer rolls easier, tows smoother and straighter on the highway and I seem to get better gas mileage. I'd say "Go for it and you won't regret it!" IMO. Phred52

Three tires three years? I would take a look at the trailer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm thinking your trailer is out of alignment. Before you buy new tires have it checked.

Might be a good idea to upgrade those rims to 15" to hold more weight.

I run a 24' V-Nose Featherlite enclosed trailer for my lawn maintenance.

I run 225/75/15's on them, load range D. It runs about 8,000 lbs loaded, sometimes 8500, rated at 10k.

Anyways, the last tires I put on, Carlisles, lasted a year. Probably the shortest set that I've had. I will say however, in that year, I DO put on about 20k miles with the trailer, seeing as it works 6.5 days / week.

I guess I'm saying 2 things here. First, that you DO get what you pay for, and if you put on a cheap tire, that you'll not get the wear that you'd PROBABLY get with a 'better' tire.

However, I'm ALSO saying that I got about 20k miles out of my set of tires, which WERE running more weight than the loaded boat, to say that 3 tires in 5k miles, give or take, there's something wrong there, even with the 14" rims.

I would agree, upgrade to a 15" rim, and put a decent set of tires on. If you go someplace and have it done professionally, make sure they balance the tire as well.

I'd then watch them real close, and if you start to get odd wear on one of the tires, get the alignment checked REAL quick.

Carlisle are just fine as long as they are the right load rating. I am less than impressed with Goodyears they are overpriced and not that good from my experience with them. They aren't way better than other tires priced at less. Having a well aligned trailer and the right load rated tires will make all the difference.

I have pretty much the same set as you. 1775 Prov with 140HP and 9.9 Kicker on a Kar Van trailer with 15" Carlisles. So I would say if you had bigger tires you might be fine What is the rating of your trailer. Mine is a 2400 lb I think.

Quote:

Also, I have a 2004 Lund 1775 Pro-V (115 Opti/9.9 kicker/front and back trolling motors) with an Eagle bunk single axle trailer. I admit that I take a lot of gear, but I can't imagine that I'm overloading the trailer. It has 14 inch tires on it which are rated for 1760 lbs each at 50 PSI cold. Is there a 14 inch tire that has a heavier load rating? Does anyone have a similar set-up, and if so, what are your tire sizes. Is it possible/ or even worth while to put a heavier axle on this trailer? Should I even need a heavier axle or heavier load rating? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm going to Canada in a week and a half and I don't want to have any more tire problems.

Thanks!

Fishinglund

Have you ever weighed the rig in the "as you trailer it" loaded condition?

A 3500LB axel cost about 180 bucks with the hubs bearings and U bolts,Then you can use any size wheel and tire you want!

I run a set of Carlisle tires on my fifth wheel.

A RV forum that I occasionally view was contiusously bashing the Carlisle brand.

I always thought the guys weren't checking tire pressure and were blasting the brand for no reason.

Than this week was my turn.

Driving 6o mph down highway 71, a thundering crash,lots of smoke and plastic/fiberglass from the 5er flying in every direction changed my opinion in a hurry.

These tires had less than 2000 miles on them.

Took a look at the other tandem and more cords were showing thru.

Time to head to the tire store.

A set of Goodyears and I'm one happy camper.