• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The action was great on Pelican last night. We found them in a number of areas, but the depth was a little deeper thyan I would have thought. We caught them in 17-21 FOW Jigs and r4igs were about even and shiners and leeches we the ticket. We went through a ton of bait.

Hit that lake at 7 p.m. and by 8:15 -- yep, 8:15 twe had 22 'eyes. Many of them were small and some were borderline and we kept two for the pan. What a fun night.

Had a couple of nice ones on as well, but you know how it is ...

I wish every night was like last night.

Yep, don't let anybody tell you otherwise, Pelican is a night bite lake... She's too clear to do any good during the day. I have always noticed the same thing as well. It's good when the boat is in about 19 ft of water and casting parallel to the break and out into deep from the boat and bouncing the jigs back in. There's been times where I've caught those nighttime eyes in Pelican casting out to 30+ ft of water. Hardly ever have I caught one casting into the weeds when anchored on one of those Pelican plateau drops. Great report!!

In other news, my boat is almost done at the pierz place - I had to have the ol water pump replaced on the old school Yamaha... Also, my motor trimming out of the water by itself on a couple of occassions during the opener had me a tich worried as well. Let's hope the pierz place boys put the cabosh on that thing as well...

I was originally planing on going back home to Wisco this next week to see the Brew Crew and the Cubs series... But, due to the fact that the Crew has squandered 12 of the last 16 games, I think I may stay home and try the MN lakes!! We'll see!

Nice report Hitman! Its the rare report that comes out of Pelican tight lips ville! smile.gif

Quote:

She's too clear to do any good during the day

Easy now...I have to tell ya that I know there are some locals out there who have some very, very specific spots that consistently produce limits of walleyes ....and they usually don't even start until 10 a.m. (and they're back by noon). That's a fact.

I'd say it's just a good overall lake and, if you learn it well, it will produce just about anytime. wink.gif

Yeah, I've heard that... However, I gave up a long time ago day fishin that lake. It's probably because the times I've fished it in the past during the day have been those hot July days where they camp out in 30+ feet of water and shutdown... Nonetheless, I love Pelican and maybe I should give it a couple more tries in the daytime again sometime.

I know you said you hardly ever catch them casting up toward the weeds, but, believe it or not, one of those "specific spots" I'm referring to is a weed bed. I think this is an area that a lot of people overlook. If you see the stems and buds of cabbage sticking up out of deep water.....I'd investigate. I think keying on the pockets and points along the edge with light jigs is the best. I'm no expert by any means, in fact, it's one method of catching walleyes I'm determined to get better at. I know that's pretty basic, but it is one thing I know works on Pelican...so just thought I'd share that with ya as it might be worth a look.

Z - Man --

Easy with the info wink.gif .

You know I am one of those guys.

Bison --

The Z Man tells the truth, I have some spots on that lake and I can kill them during the day.

Bite is mostly best in the evening, however.

Busted them 2 weekends in a row between 10am and 2pm. Had action in a few diferent areas. Did real good casting and using bobbers in about 15ft. I hope the fishing slows down alittle before the tourny this weekend. there will be alot of fish caught. Not a big deal though. I htink they have a pretty healthy release out there.

The water is clear though. It seems to be getting clearer and clearer every year. Or atleast I know it is more clear than it used to be a few years back.

Tossing jigs into a rock pile on the north side in the spring can be deadly.

DEADLY.

The north side can be good. I think I know the spot. In past years we have busted them in the spring in my bay. Southwest corner. Shallow and clear. We havent got them in there yet this year. I usually dont try to ruin peoples spots by posting them, but I doubt this one in much of a seceret.

scavre,

the southwest corner eh? That's got to be close to the launch... Wow, that's like 2 feet in there. That's got to be night thing.

Not quite so far west. 6-8 feet with a 16 foot hole. Now I am making it way too easy.

This is a little off the subject, but maybe you guys can help me just a little. I'm fishing the tournament this weekend and have made a couple of calls looking for shinners and so far nothing. Is a guy going to to drive a little ways to find them? Any help would be great.

yes ,i do like pelican ,and i do catch fish during the day ., but that evening bite can really be fun and fast., morning also,. (early morning that is) ., hey hitman ., what was the water temp out there .,., im thinking with all this rain it has not really jumped up much.,it was 58 for me on opener ., just woundering what it is now ., i was goin to take the wife and daughter out there this weekend but i forgot about the tourny., unless i can get them up at 4 a.m. nope that wont work .,well good luck to all ., oh p.s. i herd of a guy this past weeken that did real well on ottertail., they released 4 in that 26-29 range and caught plenty more ., so if somebody was planning on pelican this weekend give ottertail a try .,good luck

Shinners, not sure. we usually catch our own.

People have said pelican lake walleyes like pelican lake shinners.

Maybe in DL or PR

Qaulity Bait and Takle in D.L. Only 15 miles North of Pelican Lake. Jon will put them on air for free to keepin belly side down till you get to the lake.

Bob --

Hey good to hear from you! Yeah the temp on Pelican was 60.8 .

I am looking forward to my trip to Ottertail this weeken. Can you find out any spots or depths for me? I planned on visiting the in-laws in Perham and then hitting the 'Tail.

Should be fun.

We get ours at Buds Sports Center in Lake Park or there is a bait shop on the other side of the east access. It is a resort. I have never gone there but some of my buddies did during opener.

Hope that helps.

no shinners but i heard that they are bitting on decoy suckers (9" to 12") right in front of fair hills 33'ofw

hitman., it is friday afternoon and i just got home to read this ., stop by the house when you get done work and i will give you a few spots ok.,

If John at Quality doesn't have shiners, County 6 BP has a ton.

Thanks for the replies guys, well most of you that is! We actually found them at dunvilla and they had plenty of them. I actually caught more fish on crawlers and leaches. Just a little info for you guys there were a record number of fish caught this year I believe it was around 460 for both days and they only had 109 teams compared to the usual 150.