• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Calls For Elk

iffwalleyes

I am preparing for a upcoming trip to MT elk hunting this Sept. I was wondering what are some good and simple calls for them? What is a decent bugle? I know primos makes several and they are usually pretty good. Just wondering what everone else uses?

I really like Primos stuff. For a cow call, the Hot Lips is my favorite by a wide margin. It has two reeds and chambers set close together. You can either just use one of them at a time, or squeak them both. With a little practice you can make one start before the other, and one stop just before the other one. This sounds like two hot estrus cows mewing at once. This is a fantastic call. In addition, you might be able to slow up or stop some nervous elk with this one a little more readily that with a single reed call. I know for sure it stops deer like they have been hit by lightning.

For bugles, there is lots of stuff out there. Again I like Primos, but I am not as faithful here as I am with the cow calls. I have an cheapo off brand one (I can't remeber who makes it)with some replaceable tone bands that has been very good.

I got a bugle from HarveyLee last year but I sound like a dieing cat on that thing, they are HARD to blow.

I like the hoochie momma cow call, very easy to use its a squeeze call and can make numerous different calls with some practice.

Hoochie Mamas are obviously the easiest call to use- can't go wrong. For reed calls, I also like the Hot/Hyper Lips calls by Primos. For diaphram calls I can tell you a couple things- I HATE the Sonic Domes! I bought three of them and threw them away. I do really like the hyper plates- red, blue, and black- I like them all.

Which bugle you get doesn't matter too much. I know a couple guys who bugle with sections of PVC pipe! I now own two of them- the Terminator and a smaller pack bugle by Carlton Calls. The Terminator is great for average to bigger, deeper sounds. The pack bugle is the ticket for spike bull sounds.

You can't go wrong with buying a few diaphram calls and practicing with them. If you don't like any particular one, you're not out much money (they're cheap).

Lastly, e-mail me and I'll give you some specific info on calling.

The bugle isnt that hard once you get it figured out. The figuring out takes a bit, but boy can you call elk and get a answer.

Do you use guys perfer using the diapram calls with bugle tube. What about the calls that have the reed built in? Of does using diapram calls just give you more flexiblity?

Personally, I don't care for the bugles that have the built in system. I much prefer a diaphram call- lets me drop the bugle and make cow and calf sounds or add the bugle and make the bull sounds I want.

Jason, same offer as with shooting my bow- feel free to give me a call when you're around here and I'll let you give my diaphram calls and bugles a try if you'd like. I'll even get you a beer in the process!

I would stick with the Hoochie Mamma.

Just my opinion but unless you are going to spend some serious time practicing, any type of bugling is counter productive. Many hunters seriously overestimate their ability to bugle. Nothing worse than making a sneak on a bull and someone attempting to bugle and gets them on high alert.

Not sure when you’re going or what area but if you’re hunting the first couple of weeks, you usually don’t hear much bugling. My experience is you don’t hear much bugling until the end of the second week.

YMMV

I am going to MT during archery season. We are planning to head the middle of the month. I need to know how to bugle no doubt. If I was going during rifle hunting I won't worry about it. I guess I kind of disagree with the whole "making a sneak on a bull and someone attempting to bugle and gets them on high alert." That kind of seems backwards to me. I guess that isn't how I would hunt.

Scoot I will take you up on that offer. I will get ahold of you man thanks.

I think Kostoglotov was just trying to say that no calling is sometimes better than calling at all, unless you've got the time and willingness to become quite-proficient at the art of it.

Not that I pretend elk are turkeys, but much of the calling and interaction have been compared in the past. It's similar to the quote in my signature, and I'm only guessing the same holds true for elk.

I know a guy who heads to the Marshall wilderness area to hunt them, and has good luck with the Hoochie in the past year or two. Good luck!

Joel

Oh I agree with the whole calling thing. You do need to know what you are doing no doubt. What I was saying seemed backwards is to sneek and then call. I would think you typically are going to call to get them to come to you. So that there really would be no reason to sneek. Or if you are sneeking there would really be no reason to call. I guess that is just my thoughts on it. Granted it might totally change after I experience it first hand.

I guess I wasn’t very clear – I was trying to explain that putting a sneak on an Elk and someone else bugles poorly (Doesn’t have to be in your party), making the Elk wary.

I wouldn’t totally discount using a call while stalking Elk. There may be an open area that limits your ability to get within shooting range and forces you to call them to get a shot.

Yep I would agree with that.

On a few hunts in CO, we have been set up on a herd before daylight (unknowingly) and then all of a sudden herd cow calls and light bugles. On one of those mornings we were kind of "stuck" due to the way they were set-up. 15 cows, 3 spikes and a handful of calfs. Long story short we ended up trying to stalk, but with all those eyes they spooked before we could get in on them. A cow ended up breaking off the main herd, so we followed her. Again, long story short.....my partner and I were each wearing cow urine and sagebrush wafers on our hats and packs and using the "lost cow/calf" calls as we tracked her. Not more than a couple miles into the track we were able to cross a draw and find her 60 yds. away walking like nothing was out of the ordinary. I think it had everything to do with the calls and scent. Last year I stopped a cow on a dead run in a herd of 30+ with a cow call. I missed grin.gif, but I did stop her!