• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So...about my graduation money...(GPS Question)

riverrat56

Question

I'm putting most of my graduation money into the bank to pay rent on my house for college next year. I did manage to convince mom that I can keep out about 300 to buy a GPS though.

So combined with some money I've got saved up to spend I've got about $425 dollars to spend on a GPS.

I know next to nothing about them though. I would like to get one with some type of chip that has lake maps. I mostly stick to lakes in my area, Washington, German, Jefferson, Francis.

What would be a good handheld unit for me to pick up? Color would be nice but not needed.

I want to use it in my boat and ice fishing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

9 answers to this question

I think you're going to get a lot of votes for the Lowrance H20/H2Oc. It gives you the best bang for your buck, I think. I have a color version and much prefer it to B&W, but some like the B&W better (it'll keep you way under $425).

Let the barrage of H20 votes begin! grin.gif

I run the b&w version of the H2O (bought it before the color came out) and it has been an outstanding handheld unit paired with the lakemaster chip. I use it quite a bit more in the winter time, however I have a ram mount for it on my boat and the couple times I have been to Mille Lacs, it's been money!

I have been content with the non-color version....I understand the color version goes through batteries a bit faster....but either choice with a chip will keep you under $425 with some cash to buy other toys/goodies.

The H20C has my vote as well. I love that thing! Paired with the Lakemaster chip, it is awesome. You are going to hear negatives towards the color like tough on batteries, and hard to see in daylight. True they are a little harder on batteries, but if you have a 12V source of power, batteries are not a concern. As far as harder to see in the sunlight. There are times where I could agree, but most of the time you would be glad you went color. I have a feeling that once you purchased a color model you would very unlikely make the statement " I wish I would have gone B&W." The likelihood of making a statement after purchasing a B&W to something on the order of "I wish I would have went with the color" would be very more likely. Either decision you make, you will be getting a solid product with the Lowrance. You just need to decide what YOU want, and what YOU are going to use it mostly for. Now you need to decide Lakemaster or Navionics chip. Good Luck!

CA

H2O with the chip is the best handheld unit out there IMO. Big screen and loads fast, easy to use. My buddies who have other GPS want a H2O after seeing\using mine.

I'll throw in a non-partisan vote and cast mine for the Garmin GPSMap76 either color or B&W. You probably won't touch the color model with your budget but the B&W is a nice, durable unit.

Bob

P.S. I know, far be it from me to be a conformist. tongue.gif

Well I guess H20 and Lakemaster it is. Thanks guys.

Speaking of I just got a new gps last saturday as well. Is the lowrance I finder Explorer. Very nice unit! Is it the same as an h20? Buddy of mine at sheels says my unit has about three or four more features but its basically the same! I got the black and white.

I have used both (Garmin GPS76 and H2O) and I really do prefer the Garmin. I now have the 76CSX and it's more intuitive etc.. and in full sun (if you choose color) the screen on the garmin is much easier to read.

My vote would be for the Garmin 60CSx.....I have the 60CS and love it, but the micro SD card slot on the 60CSx would be preferred for maps. I have the Lakemaster loaded on my 60CS and it works great.