• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was thinking about taking my son out this weekend who is only 6. With the gas prices the way they are we will not be able to travel to the lakes that he likes (Catches Fish on) I was just wondering what the bite is like on the river right now and maybe point me in the direction to go. Do not care what species just as long as I can find some fish for him to catch.

Not sure if you are taking a boat or not...The wilcox area in Wabasha is usually pretty good for pannies. You can also tie into bass and northern too. You can fish from shore there and from a boat.

There are a lot of ponds in Rochester that are full of pannies that will keep a youngster and you busy for an afternoon.

Good luck!

The best place to take a 6 year old isn't even on the river, it's Pottery pond. They stock this pond with panfish and I think trout.It's kind of catch and release so it stays stocked, but its not the law. It's right by Baypoint park across from the river. The have a nice fishing dock.

Yeah, the pond would probably be the best choice for a 6 year old...but if your deadset on fishing a river then try the vermillion river. Your boy will catch enough sheephead to keep him busy, plus you'll have a good chance to catch some nice crappies and silver bass...among many other things.

If you have a boat, one of the funnest spots for me on the river to go is across from the old frontenac boat launch, in front of the bridge on the wisconson side. Anchor about 10 - 15 yards off of shore and throw either a plain hook or a jig and a bobber topped with a leech or worm.

I did this a little over a week ago and caught smallmouth, largemouths, crappies, a walleye, stripped bass, mooneye and unfoutunitly a bunch or sheepheads

Good luck with those river lunkers

shocked.gifbringnhomethewalleyes shocked.gif

youngbuck the fishing on the river is starting to pick up .if your looking to catch alot of fish and dont care what kind take your son into one of the back chanels.put a crawler or a leech on a plain hook with a slip bobber.and he should have alot of fun.stop at the store and i can show you on the map .good luck ike

Thanks to the young lad working at Ike's, he gave us some direction this morning to where we could catch some eyes and we proceeded to catch a few even with my extreme lack of knowledge of the river. We ended keeping 2-17", 1-20" and tossing a few shortys back.

We fished down the back channel towards Goose Lake, working the 10-11' edge, we started drifting Floaters on snells and we were not having much luck, some people were though.

I dedided to try a jig-twister tail-leech combo and BAM, Fish on.

Over all we had fun, pushed our luck when the dark clouds come a rollin, we ended up seeing some lightning REAL close, while we were gunning the big motor for shore and that scared the #$@& out of me.

This I swear will not happen again.

Thanks again to Ikes.

Sounds like it wont be long and I will need to make a run to red Wing for some eyes. smile.gif