• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ranger 620T trailer Q: single or tandem axels

Big Julie

Question

I'm helping out a friend of mine who is ready to pull the trigger on an 06 demo 620T Ranger.

It has a single axle trailer.

I have been recently informed by Ranger that as of 2007 the tandem axle trailer is standard. Prior to that, it was an option.

The question becomes: just how safe would you feel pulling a 620 with a single axle?

I have heard extreme opinions both ways from "I've pulled many a 620 with a single axle and never thought twice" to "that would be pretty much stupid to do".

If you have experience with the big boats, please add your opinions.

Thanks.

Also, if he passes on this boat, where would you folks suggest looking for another one; 620T's are kinda scarce.

Thanks.

17 answers to this question

Go tandem, spend the extra money and get the second axle. If you have a flat, you'll be able to control rig better, and in case of emergency you can still travel with 2 tires missing.

I understand single axles for 18ft boats max, above that I want peace of mind when I travel.

Tandem axle is also a lot smoother on boat.

I've got a 19' Triton Tiller with a tandem axle and wouldn't feel very good about pulling it on a single axle. It's rated for 4500lb, and the weight of everything in the boat and the motor is pushing 3000lb. Go tandem, better safe than sorry.

The boat has a single axle trailer.

Would you pass on the boat because of the single axle trailer?

If you are buying it from a dealer ask them for a price on a tandem. I can't imagine they wouldn't sell you one and use that trailer for a different boat.

Tough to swap trailers on Rangers since they have color matched fenders. Doubt they'd break up a matching set (boat/trailer).

I have a few hundred miles with a 620T and a single axle trailer. Not my boat but a friends. No problems.... If it were me I would put the ball in Rangers court. As I understand it Ranger delivers a package to the dealer (boat, motor and trailer). If Ranger would stand behind the single axle trailer go with it. I would be interested to know why they changed???????? I would guess your friend spent arond 32,000 - 34,000 for a demo with options. That is way to much to spend and not feel good about what you are getting.

If it is not to much trouble let us know what your friend decides.

It appears that there is only about a 125lb difference boat for boat. If it is a good deal, I would let it get in my way. Don't fill up with fuel all the way unless you need it and that will help lessen some of the load.

Thanks greatly for the responses.

The deal fell through today as the dealer would not make a deal to upgrade the trailer to tandem axle.

Overall the dealer wasn't too impressive for a bunch of reasons. But I've read some posts that they won't be around for long.

Anyone know the best way to find a 620T with a Yamaha 150 (and tandem trailer)?

Anyone know anyone in the Ranger group who fish for them?

The other boat is sold in anticipation of the incoming 620 so the need is immediate.

We've make a bunch of google searches and not much around.

Not much either at dealers.

BTW, the gent at Ranger customer service I talked to says that the trailer engineer person says the tandem axle is required as of 07.

Might be tough to find what you're looking for without ordering at this point in the year. I had to order my 618T after doing a fair amount of searching myself. 618T's just aren't that common as the more popular 619, 620, and 621's are. The dealer I bought it from had one but I didn't care for the color or the engine.....that was back in Jan yet so I had time to order.

They (Chisago City) do have a 620T, but it has a 115HP and I'm not sure of the type of trailer. Good luck.

i would contact ranger again , and ask them if they can put you on to a 620. they've always been very helpfull for me! never know til you ask. del

Thanks again for the responses.

We're going to take a road trip to chisago city tomorrow.

I'll look on line for frankies and see what they have.

P.S. I talked to some guys last night who said that the single axle trailer would haul the boat ok as long as you weren't driving over 50 or so. Freeway speeds would make the whole unit very unstable and not track well, etc.

Not what you would be comfortable traveling.

I've been kinda torn if it was a big enough problem to worry about and now I'm more convinced it was the right thing to be cautious.

Thanks again

Julie

Well, it seems that the boat is there and it's "The Griz's" old boat.

It DOES have a tandem trailer!

They're putting a pencil to the bottom line and we'll know within an hour.

hehehehe

LMITOUT: where do you live?

Might have to track you down and buy you a beer.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

LMITOUT: where do you live?

Might have to track you down and buy you a beer.

Thanks for the heads up.

He's out fishing this weekend, I am here and I substitute for him.... grin.gif

Tell Mike that Dan from Hutch sent you. Not sure if that's who you're working with, but he was good to me. In fact, all of them are great people and worth the drive.

Well, first of all, Mike Meisekomer at Frankies Marine (I just know I spelled that wrong) is an absolute first class ace.

He is WONDERFUL to deal with, as are all the guys we met there, including Frankie.

They're not ties and suits, just great fishermen with a sweet job.

As Mike said he sells fun to kids.

hahaha

My buddy decided on the boat, then when he got home decided to pop for a new one b/c of very small idiosyncracies of color, etc.

So he is ordering a new one with a Suzuki 115 (trolls at 1.1 or so) and all the other bells and whistles.

Now I can't remember if the Humminbird 997c SI has a bell or whistle? Oh crap, who cares...

hahahaha

It's going to be sweet!

How do you use those dang emoticons on this site?

Going to take 6 weeks to order, but can't wait.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Mike says 'hi' Dan, he remembered you well.

Julie

That's great news! Glad it worked out for everyone.